Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 21:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drun

Never heard about such an amendment. Having gone through the proposed amendments, I have not seen any such proposal. The amendment bill is however in the Rajya Sabha pending approval as of now.

Quite ridiculous if true ! The automobile manufacturers will supply first aid kit and a breath analyser too. Before commencing the drive, the driver will check each passenger viz. child, woman and man (oops transgenders too) with the breath analyser for the above permissible alcohol limit. He/ she will not permit anyone who is highly intoxicated to board his/her motor vehicle .
Old 16th August 2017, 22:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drun

Maybe the proposal is more like:
'Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drinking liquor/alochol in the vehicle'.

If its isn't then it should be like this.

Last edited by wrongturn : 16th August 2017 at 23:00.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 00:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is basically Prohibition by proxy. If you will not even let drunk people use safe modes of transportation back home, including taxis - then you are basically shutting down all bars and saying, drink only at your own homes, please.

This is the kind of laws for which people globally laugh at other countries, and now it is our turn. I am simply speechless. Whoever announced it barely thought it through. Given the strong commercial interests and the obvious infeasibility, I expect it to get a quick burial once the din dies down.
Old 17th August 2017, 07:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the article is by Overdrive, and it seems to be written reasonably well and they do stress multiple times than the directive is indeed as we fear.. illogical, inane and if I may say so, anti-welfare. Quote as below :

Quote:
Yes, the new proposed amendment to the Motor Vehicle Act says, "The driver shall strictly comply with the laws for the time being in force relating to the prohibition on the consumption of alcohol and drugs and smoking, and also ensure compliance there by the other crew, riders and passengers if any."
I really, REALLY don't see what point this has other than the establishment flexing its muscle on its hapless citizens. I'm a teetotaller (don't care much for the taste of alcohol) but even I realize that people who drink outside should need some form of a ride home that DOES NOT involve them driving/riding.. the only options left are cab rides, sober friends dropping them or walking, and walking isn't an option most of the time.

To me it wouldn't matter at all but somewhere the safety of the public roads at large is in great risk if such rules get approved.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:27   #20
BHPian

This is exactly the kind of law our government/ bureaucracy/law enforcement loves.Too stupid to be enforced.The outcome/results does not matter.But..Can be used to harass the population for chai-pani/ department targets for revenue collection.
Old 17th August 2017, 09:02   #21
BHPian

seems like some error. Shouldn't it be the other way round. That it's also the passengers responsibility to make sure the drivers not drunk??? so in case someone's caught in a drunk driving case, not only the drivers but the passengers also are held responsible and meet our the same punishment as the driver??
Old 17th August 2017, 10:45   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I think this is irresponsible journalism. The actual act proposes to fine/book the others(passengers) in a vehicle being driven by a drunk driver in addition to the drunk person. These guys have reported the exact opposite.
Thanks for pointing that out! Closing this thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks