Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 13:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Navigation display a distraction while driving?

My 2 paise -

I have tried multiple permutations and combinations to get that perfectly positioned phone. The best one is the dashboard / AC vent mounted setup in line with the dials. During long trips, Navigation is to be handled by the front passenger. He will also keep track of the upcoming break places (restaurants, scenic spots, etc.).

I did try this setup in my Punto - used the ZAPP mobile holder and mounted it to the sunglass compartment in the center. The problem with this setup is that the place where the it it mounted is not the door, but just a cover which pops up when driven on bad roads. Refer the below image.
Navigation display a distraction while driving?-nav01.jpg

Even tried to mount the iPad using 2 magnetic AC vent holders, the setup is nice but blocks the AC vents completely . Notice my next favourite place - the mobile placed on the RHS close to the steering wheel. If your car gets a decent quarter glass, the mobile holder can be mounted to this as well. Biggest drawback is the phone heating up. With music streaming and maps on, the phone has at times shutdown in the midday sun.
Navigation display a distraction while driving?-nav02.jpg

Here is the same in Spark. The iPad looks cool, adds a premium touch to the car, but it is utterly useless in general - only useful when you are on driver duty and have a couple of hours to kill, with the ladies of the home out shopping.
Navigation display a distraction while driving?-nav03.jpg

Last edited by blackwasp : 28th November 2017 at 13:54.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

In my view, there are two issues here.
1. How strongly one believes the Navigation MAP. More the belief, less the confusion and less the distraction. Usually, if the map has misled in the recent past, then, there is more chances to lose focus on driving. (I know all of us agree on this point)

2. Certain things would be distracting driving if one does not use it right way. For example, when I was new for car driving, I always used to think car cassette player was a distraction for proper driving. Now, after 25 years of driving, I am so used to music, that without that, I get distracted

The Point I am trying to bring is, while driving car, I should NOT listen to music the way I listen to the same while I am relaxing at home.

Same way, in my opinion, while driving, we tend to use the GPS the way we use while sitting at home and planning the route. If we do this, definitely it will be a distraction. However, while navigating, if our focus is MAINLY on driving, I do not think it would distract. What I mean is, wherever there are two roads and driver is not sure which is the right one, Just a glance on the GPS to check the color of the right road on the map would not distract the driving.

Usually, this is not the case. What one does is (From my experience as passenger while other person is driving),
1. Gets confused on which road to go forward near a Junction or circle
2. Looks at GPS
3. Become Curious to check where the other roads lead and "MY" road leads. here is where focus shifts from driving
4. Shifts from Navigation mode to browsing mode and starts browsing(Completely out from driving)
5. after few seconds, suddenly becomes aware that you have lost focus on driving and turn the focus suddenly on driving and go on "SOME" road
6. Now, since the navigation has stopped and it is in browsing mode, map does not show the right road.
7. Confusion increases. Again, shift the focus back to map and start playing like the way we do play while route planning.

This is where the actual problem lies, in my view.

Summarily, in my opinion, never play with the device while driving. Just believe it strongly and follow the path. If in confusion, after taking the map suggested route, stop the vehicle and ask the locals who will in most cases, give the right guidance.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 15:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure about others; but as per me most folks today look at Google navigation not for the route but for the traffic (especially for city commute).
Oh yes! That's so true and knew someone from Bangalore would comment on this. My BIL is so hooked on to this and every time he is out on the road, the maps are on to check the traffic. A neat feature. Now I started using it since I drive through some of the worst sections here.

I never felt the car navigation display distracting (I use it rarely and only on some unknown territory/route). Mostly rely on audio instructions.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 16:28   #34
BHPian

Indeed its a distraction initially but you do get used to it. As said by GTO and others rely on voice commands ocassionally looking at screen for the signals. Also directions are nowadays displayed on the central MID screen for most of the cars.
Best is to settle some where in the middle, just do not loose focus.
Old 28th November 2017, 17:36   #35
BHPian

I have never used navigation while driving alone (yet). I just go over the route beforehand. While driving, if at all I feel confused then I stop and consult the map and the continue. If there is someone else traveling with me and the route is unknown then I hand over the navigation responsibility to that person.

I also agree with GTO and others that relying on just the voice commands is enough. Your eyes are on the road constantly and if the google lady says turn right in 200m, you can just start gliding safely towards that turn instead of constantly keeping one eye on the maps and not knowing if that turn will arrive too soon.
Old 28th November 2017, 23:25   #36
BHPian

I put the phone on the AC vent currently. That allows me to charge the phone with wires on the left side and also keeps the phone cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I just ordered this.
Do share the link of this.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 28th November 2017 at 23:27.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So many new cars now give navigation instructions on the MID & HUD too, making things even easier.
I agree and so has UK Driving License acknowledged the fact.

From Monday, December 4, UK will be including use of GPS as a mandatory part of the Driving / Riding practical test.

Its the future and initial distractions are bound to happen and once you start listening to the voice commands it will be simple, for eg: "in 100 yards take the 3rd exit". Enough time to position yourself abroad at least.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 29th November 2017 at 02:17.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 06:58   #38
BHPian

Placement of the mobile holder has been a slight nuisance for me, in my Innova. Mounting it on the windshield would make it too far for me to reach, and wasn't keen to mount it on the AC vents, for the fear of breaking something.

Eventually found something that I was looking for

Navigation display a distraction while driving?-20161219120803_12071.jpeg

This sits on the dash, at eye level without needing me to take my eyes off the road. Super convenient and pretty cool.

Bought it off Gearbest
https://www.gearbest.com/stands-holders/pp_601415.html

Only negative i can think off, is this only supports your phone in the landscape mode (which is what I preferred). Will try to share a pic in my car, that gives the correct picture.

Last edited by sachinayak : 29th November 2017 at 07:00.
Old 29th November 2017, 07:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

I was using gmaps navigation in my mobile, using a mobile holder attached to the windshield. This was a compromise to the field of vision through the windshield, and it definitely was a distraction.

With Android Auto feature in my new car, navigation works on the main infotainment display. This is really much better than the earlier setup and much less distraction to the driver, in my opinion. I use Google maps (in driving mode, not navigation mode) everyday while I drive familiar routes as well, because it gives me live traffic info. It's no longer a distraction but a 'third eye' to the unseen road that lies ahead.

There are at least three routes to my office, and several times Google maps alerted me by speaking out 'we've found a better route for you... " because the route I was diving on had traffic jams ahead. I am sure Google maps had helped me in saving many liters of fuel thus far.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th November 2017 at 07:55.
Old 29th November 2017, 08:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
With Android Auto feature in my new car, navigation works on the main infotainment display. This is really much better than the earlier setup
Just curious to know, which vehicle do you have? I have experienced just opposite of what you have mentioned!
Old 29th November 2017, 08:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
Just curious to know, which vehicle do you have? I have experienced just opposite of what you have mentioned!
New Verna SX+ AT. There whole infotainment console is tilted towards the driver for a better view and control. Seen in some other cars too, even in the case of my 12 year old Palio!
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 08:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
New Verna SX+ AT. There whole infotainment console is tilted towards the driver for a better view and control. Seen in some other cars too, even in the case of my 12 year old Palio!
I agree that positioning of the console in the vehicle is as important as having the console. On my vehicle, the infotainment console is placed centre - down below A/C vents; which makes it pretty difficult to check it out on the go.
Old 29th November 2017, 08:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Same here. Don't think it is a distraction at all, at least on the Verna.

A slightly expensive but really cool gadget to have for handling navigation, music and calls - https://www.navdy.com/#see-the-road

Saiyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 09:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post

Do share the link of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

Please provide link.
I ordered it from a site called BangGood (yes, it really exists). Don't buy until I get mine. Will update this space in a week/two.

Here's the link: https://www.banggood.com/Universal-N...op-buytogether

I paid Rs. 432 for it including a 99 rupee shipping charge.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 10:38   #45
BHPian

The FL Duster AWD does not come with android auto. The HU did come with map my India but its extremely sluggish specially while rerouting. The HU is just good enough to play music. Ofcourse its usable and I have used it in the Himalayas (NE) several times when mobile signals are null and I have to search for new route. Google map does a neat job at the hills unless you want to search something new. Options were to upgrade HU with Android auto / Car play but ergonomically the HU is located much below and it gets sufficient glare. I wanted something that would be within the field of vision ( near rear view mirror) which I could see for split second and confirm my path. It does not block any thing on left side. I have used it to navigate on hills and in few metro cities like Mumbai/Bangalore .

After trying few combinations this is the setup I have been sticking to for a while now. Its easy to operate and I don't even need to look away from the road. The setup is cheap as well.
1>Old go-pro mount , one with 3M stickers at the back. any mount with 3M will do. (Sticker mounts, because those mounts are not tall and will fit just behind the rear view mirror, if they are too long they will drop down quite a bit into the windshield and thus block the vision)
2>Spring based camera holder with 1/4" nut.
3>Micromax canvas , as that was the only phone at that time with 18:9 ratio and nougat for split screen.

Pro:
1>It falls within the field of driving vision
2>I can use the split screen of android nougat and multitask
3>Run the camera as dashcam in mobile while the SJ records the video or other way round.
4>I can replace it with any mobile , this part was critical.
5>There is no glare as its just below the roof

Con:
1>The dashcam below gets really warm when I leave it at parking under the sun.
2>The mobile on the windshield would catch attention and behavior of unwanted people could go either ways.

And some pictures.
Navigation display a distraction while driving?-whatsapp-image-20171129-9.53.40-am-1.jpeg

Navigation display a distraction while driving?-whatsapp-image-20171129-9.53.40-am-2.jpeg

Navigation display a distraction while driving?-whatsapp-image-20171129-10.23.44-am.jpeg

Video from the SJ

Video from the Mobile's camera ( not so wide lens)

Last edited by ARAY : 29th November 2017 at 11:03.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks