Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2006, 15:58   #1
BHPian

My experience with the RTO, Chennai (South)

My cousin needed a license and I went with her for moral support. Anyways, there's just one word for it. Excellent. The moment we went there, an official enquired about what he wanted and told us where to get the forms, what fees to pay, etc. And all of this was done in less than fifteen minutes. The document verification was finished in the next 5 minutes.

The inspector told us the to report at the test site at 11:30 and he was there on time. Here is the part that impressed me. He conducted a 1 hour lecture on road safety, road manners, etc. We did hear a lot of horror stories about many accidents and how it could have been avoided. Although the whole thing was in tamil, he repeated a good part of it for a guy who couldnt understand the language.

The test hardly took 15 minutes and we were sent back to the RTO office to find the UPS out of order. The staff actually apologised and asked us to come back in one hour for the data entry. An hour and a half later, the data entry was complete, the photograph taken, etc.

All-in-all it was a very good experience and I feel bad for not waiting to get mine.

Some of the facts he highlighted was -

1) 1 in over a thousand accidents are caused by those not holding a licence.

2) Most of the DUI are done by well educated people who know very well the consequences of it.

Although it's kinda obvious, he rubbed it in pretty hard.

And he mentioned an accident in which a woman's purse got stuck in the neighbouring bike's handle bar, which caused them to fall and they got run-over by a truck. The truck driver was booked!!!!
Old 14th December 2006, 18:47   #2
BHPian

WOw!

That is amazing behavior!

I'm going to be visiting the Kalyan RTO soon, and i know for a fact that I'm going to be very very disappointed.

Anyways! <sigh>

Superavi
Old 14th December 2006, 18:56   #3
BHPian

I went to Chennai RTO West on two occasions. Once to change my torn Licence Book and the second time for renewal. On the both the occasions,

1. I was able to finish the entire process consisting of completing the forms, submission, digital photo and lamination in few hours time. The few hours was more due to the crowd than anything else.

2. Quite polite behaviour from the RTO Staff.

3. Not one paisa was paid as bribe. It was neither solicited nor offered.

RTO's have surely changed atleast in Chennai.
Old 14th December 2006, 19:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Doc, which RTO in Chennai is this? Valsaravakkam or Aynavaram?
Old 14th December 2006, 19:28   #5
BANNED

Chennai South is the RTO at Thiruvanmiyur (East Coast Road). It used to be in Mylapore (just behind the AIR station on Kamaraj Salai) earlier.
The TN 07 series is issued from here.

List of RTO districts in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 14th December 2006, 19:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

What're the drivers behind this RTO's unique manners - anyone know? Usually there's a factor driving another factor.
Old 14th December 2006, 20:03   #7
BHPian

could you parcel those RTO employees back here in Delhi..!
Old 14th December 2006, 20:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Chennai South is the RTO at Thiruvanmiyur (East Coast Road). It used to be in Mylapore (just behind the AIR station on Kamaraj Salai) earlier.
The TN 07 series is issued from here.
List of RTO districts in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am sorry, I thought Doc was mentioning South West - Valsaravakkam. I got mine registered there. I have heard Thiruvanmiyur is clean, The worst being KK Nagar and Mennambakkam

Hrag, are you a Research Analyst? You seem to have a good knowledge of digging out information. Please make it to the next meet in Chennai. Will learn lots from you.
Old 14th December 2006, 20:57   #9
BHPian

Clone some of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
could you parcel those RTO employees back here in Delhi..!
Within my little experience with Central Zone RTO office (Khairatabad) Hyderabad, I thought RTO offices are full of morons. I stand corrected, looks like there may 1% or so good people out there.

Please clone some of those guys in Chennai.
Old 14th December 2006, 22:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe 'Indian' was at the RTO offices recently, you never know...LOL
Old 15th December 2006, 09:01   #11
BHPian

Sometime back the Anti Coruption Bureau of TN conducted a series of raids on RTO's office. May be due to internal polictics but the effect is quite positive. The only other Govt Office where I have had only positive experiences is Chennai Passport Office. Renewal, Addl Book, Addl Book emergency, Address Change etc etc. All handled with absolute smoothness.
Old 15th December 2006, 10:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
RTO's have surely changed atleast in Chennai.
I wish bangy RTO's would inculcate some of these behaviours...

Even though bangy govt. offices "look" more sophisticated it sure has $hitloads of corruption... looks like they have lots to learn from neighbours...

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th December 2006 at 10:06.
Old 15th December 2006, 10:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

I have lived in South(Kerala, BLR) for a long period of time and travelled to TN often. From my experience, even in BLR which is said to be full of corrupt officials, Delhi/Noida is much much worse. You guys down south are sure lucky. Over here the RTO offices can make you weep unless you know some local politician or are willing to lighten your purse strings.
With we had such officials over here too!
Old 15th December 2006, 11:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I wish bangy RTO's would inculcate some of these behaviours...

Even though bangy govt. offices "look" more sophisticated it sure has $hitloads of corruption... looks like they have lots to learn from neighbours...

One way around this is to become a member of the AASI. I broke my licence and lost one half of it. (the half with my pic and not much else). Through AASI, I got a duplicate in 3 days
Old 15th December 2006, 13:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One way around this is to become a member of the AASI. I broke my licence and lost one half of it. (the half with my pic and not much else). Through AASI, I got a duplicate in 3 days
@ajmat : plz cud u elaborate on what AASI is?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks