Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2018, 11:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hot pursuit of drug dealers (allegedly) by a civilian Thar

Interesting video here, where a Mahindra Thar driver gives drug peddlers (supposedly) a BIG chase. The Dzire is rammed by the Thar in public roads to make it stop and it doesn't.

While the chase by the Thar might have been in a good intention, I don't think its the right thing to do. In fact too dangerous to have an unskilled pursuit on public roads with no special equipment.

Watch the full video here:

Hot pursuit of drug dealers (allegedly) by a civilian Thar-screen-shot-20180404-11.15.31-am.png

Name:  Screen Shot 20180404 at 11.16.07 AM.png
Views: 19286
Size:  384.7 KB

Hot pursuit of drug dealers (allegedly) by a civilian Thar-screen-shot-20180404-11.16.31-am.png

Name:  Screen Shot 20180404 at 11.17.21 AM.png
Views: 19201
Size:  215.4 KB
dhanushs is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 11:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hot pursuit of drug dealers (allegedly) by a civilian Thar

To me, the key takeaway is that DZire makes for a good getaway car.

The Thar dude needs to play "Need for Speed Hot Pursuit" game or watch some police chase videos on Youtube to learn how to stop a car. Gently prodding the rear bumper does not work with drug lords.

And what's with "Camera ON Karo" and "Camera Chalu Hain Na"?
SmartCat is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Stupidity at its best.

Unless the guy driving the Thar is a cop, a civilian doing this is asking for trouble.
It is an adrenaline rush when someone cuts you off and you try to get back to overtake him, and then imagine this to someone who is not trained for such situations. What if in the speed and focus on the getaway car, the Thar driver looses control or rams into someone walking beside the road?
Not required at all in my opinion.

The registration number and CCTV cameras and the cops will do the rest.
tharian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 13:06   #4
BHPian

Absolutely ridiculous!

What is the backstory of the first 15 seconds? The cops told the civilian to block the DZire so he just rammed into it. I don't think I would ever do that just because a cop ordered me to. Once the DZire reverses and drives away, I guess the Thar driver just got excited at the prospect of a real life chase and zoomed off in chase, the cops egging him on was not helping the case.

He first tries lightly ramming the rear that doesn't work and then starts forcing the DZire off the road, but did anyone notice how close they came to ramming into the 2 pedestrians on the road side. To top off the ridiculous u turn and stalling the car, perfect recipe for a nice smash from the rear or a topple and getting into an accident.

Overall, I don't see what he did as an heroic or a brave thing. He was just caught up in all that adrenaline and took all the wrong decisions. Ideally after catching up the first time he should have just recorded the number plates and backed off.

Lastly, if I ever tried to pull a stunt like this on the road, despite winning or failing to apprehend the miscreants I would be banned from driving by my family.

The White DZire seems to be preferred by a lot by robbers and theives. Have seen many CCTV footage of cars getting stolen where the thieves come in a white DZire.
Shanksta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 14:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

While I do applaud and appreciate the attempt, this could have ended badly for both the Thar drive rand the civilians around.

It's very easy to sit here on a perfectly calm and sunny day in my room, but this is what I think he should have done.

What if the Thar driver lost control? He could have run over someone or into another car and killed civilians. The Dzire seems to be an out and out criminal (although to proved) and does not seem to be worried about doing any of the aforementioned things at all (obviously). Instead of involving himself in such a deadly chase and exhorting the Swift Dzire to overspeed, he should have recorded the number plate and backed off. Getting into such acts with these morons is stupidity IMHO unless your life is threatened.

This is one of the very sensitive cases where there are going to be distinct opinions about the thin line which has to be straddled "Has he done the correct thing by taking the law into his hands?"

Last edited by vishy76 : 4th April 2018 at 14:03.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 15:50   #6
BHPian

Apart from the things mentioned by other members, we should also consider the fact that the Thar guy was with a female passenger, and had a female passenger only in the entire vehicle. We still have no idea if there were 2 or 3 or 5 passengers on the Dzire. What if they led the Thar guy to some desolate spot and attacked him? Moreover in such situations, one should always think about the passengers that one has with them at the moment, and about their safety. Doing such stunts with your girlfriend/wife on-board is not heroic, specially when you are a civilian without a gun strapped to your belt. If he had bought the policemen with him seen in the beginning of the video than the picture might have been different.
Tanveer02 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 16:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

At one point the Thar guy assures his co-passenger "Yes, I have full Police backup behind me".

IF he was a civilian, I guess he should have just backed off and let the Police cars do their thing (if they were indeed behind him).

This could have easily gone bad for him. The goons could have led him to an isolated/favourable spot and 'handled' him their way.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 16:25   #8
BHPian

After watching the video, I realized the things he missed out. He forgot to call the support helicopter, get the spike strips and road blocks arranged ahead, oh, and fire up the NOS to instantly overtake the Dzire

On a serious note, although he might have gotten caught up in the adrenaline of the moment, I think it's sheer stupidity to try this as a civilian, with evidently no training. On top of it he has a lady passenger in the car!
He was obviously not thinking very well, because the following questions should have gone through his mind before he even tried chasing: What if they have guns and start shooting? What if we injure someone else on the road in our pursuit? What if I lose control of my vehicle and total it? What if the Dzire driver gets aggressive, and rams into us? How would I react if my lady friend were to get seriously injured?

This could have ended up very badly for them, and I sincerely believe that it should never be attempted by untrained civilians. Leave dangerous things like this to the trained professionals, who do this for a living.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 20:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

While his intention seems good, the idea of ramming your vehicle in a drug dealers car is just stupid, especially with a lady in the car. Maybe he did it in the heat of the moment, but such actions are best left to 007 or the professionals in the World's Wildest Police Videos.

What if the guy in the Dzire got out with a gun and fired? Never do something like this. Never risk injury to your family, friends or yourself. It's just not worth it.
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 21:09   #10
BHPian

At the risk of sounding like an outlaw and immature, I’d say it is a brave attempt and we need to appreciate the intention. It is not the way that I am in appreciation of but his intention. His attitude to help the cops despite damaging his own property tells me he would stand up for any wrong that he comes across. I maybe wrong about it and it could be an action of adrenaline spike but if he did this today to help the cops, tomorrow in the same spike, he might help some one in distress which is what is more important.

As Shanksta rightly pointed out, he could’ve hurt or worse still, killed the pedestrians in this untrained pursuit. That move was utterly wrong on the Thar’s part. He could’ve taken two innocent lives and then would’ve had to live with that guilt.

However, I still appreciate his intention more than demoting his actions. Helping the cops is also our unwritten duty towards the society
saishivaj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 21:14   #11
BANNED

Put aside the Thar, even if I was driving a Mercedes Benz G 63 AMG 6X6, then also I wouldn't have tried this out. Clicking a picture of the number for the cops is enough. Heck, everyone here knows the 'chalta hai' attitude of the cops, they themselves would have washed their hands off if the Thar driver was shot or would have met with an accident. I appreciate his intentions, but things could have been handled in a better way. BTW what was the police network doing till then? Did they inform the next station? Cops have the power to block the routes, did they try it?

Any ways, this guy has gone to facebook and social media for bragging his heroism; I hope this doesn't help the wrong people get to know who exactly was the man trying to stop them or their men / consignment. The outcome can be real bad in such a case.

I belong to Meerut of Uttar Pradesh and chain snatching is a very common kind of crime here. Once a guy riding a Pulsar 200 tried to catch the chain snatchers who were riding a Pulsar 150. The guy on the pillion simply loaded his desi revolver (katta as we call it) and fired at the guy following them after he felt that they may get caught. Although the bullet missed the target but the guy following lost his control at a decent speed and got grievously injured.

Moral of the story: There is a difference between bolly / holly / tollywood and real life, better make sure you are safe first and then think of helping others.

Last edited by VKumar : 5th April 2018 at 21:16.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 21:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
he would stand up for any wrong that he comes across. I maybe wrong about it and it could be an action of adrenaline spike but if he did this today to help the cops, tomorrow in the same spike, he might help some one in distress which is what is more important.
Good point . Guys like him are likely to jump in and help strangers if they are in trouble (physical harm).
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 22:45   #13
BHPian

The alleged drug peddlers had nothing to lose in this chase, they were probably carrying the drugs that were worth more than their car. They had a criminal mindset & they wouldn’t have cared to run over some pedestrian if needed to evade for sure. But the person driving the Thar (unless he was a cop) should have given a thought to the fact that how many laws he was breaking & how many lives he was risking by driving dangerously on the public roads in this process of a sudden adrenaline rush. These things only work well in movies, but in the real world, the situation can go south in a small fraction of a second.
Old 5th April 2018, 23:24   #14

Mod Note: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2018 at 09:40.
sabyasachighosh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th April 2018, 02:05   #15
BHPian

Wow , that was intense !
Seeing the hits and scrapes I don't think he would have been confident to do all of that if he was in any car apart from the Thar.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2018 at 09:41. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks