Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2018, 19:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: NHAI Toll Tax: You won’t have to stop at NH plazas to pay toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Operating a phone (to generate QR codes) while approaching toll plaza isn't feasible. Then again at the toll booth if people have to stop and juggle their phone to scan the code, they'd rather use a time tested invention called CASH.
Its almost like, they want us to use our phone while driving! not sure who comes up with such ideas that look good only on paper .
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 20:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: NHAI Toll Tax: You won’t have to stop at NH plazas to pay toll

There seems to be immense confusion on this issue.

The best option is to replace all toll plazas with camera based toll collection systems which will automatically debit a linked bank account when a vehicle passes through a toll booth. However, this is possible only once all vehicles have standardised and non forgeable number plates installed - with strict action against number plate forgery.

The next best option is therefore to have a single stored value national RFID tag which works at all toll booths in India and debit money from an account. The RFID tag on the Worli Bandra Sea Link works flawlessly - but for some strange reason, the money in the wallet cannot be used even at other toll plazas operated by MEP (eg Vashi or Thane) and you have to load a separate wallet (on the same tag) for that purpose. And of course it does not work on NHAI toll booths.

Avoiding problems caused by cash users in RFID lanes is simple - once a single tag is introduced, make most toll booth lanes RFID only, and impose a 2x toll on cash lanes (and 4x toll on cash users entering RFID lanes). Everyone will instal the RFID tag in no time at all. This would help get rid of the disguised unemployment we have with dozens of toll collectors, reduce pollution, fuel and time wastage at toll booths and most importantly, make it tougher to turn toll booths into money laundering machines.

It always puzzled me as to why toll booth operators did not incentivise RFID tolling - it reduces the cost for them, and makes immense sense. But cash has its benefits in terms of non traceability.

Frankly, we need to follow up on demonetisation with drastic measures to curb cash usage. But Modi has been burnt so badly that I doubt he will do it.
Hayek is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:39   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: NHAI Toll Tax: You won’t have to stop at NH plazas to pay toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
The heading says "you won’t have to stop at NH plazas to pay toll"
and the content says "Before the vehicle reaches a toll plaza, the system will generate a QR code which the driver will have to scan at the plaza to cross it" .
That's one of the proposed options. Another one (from the same article):

Quote:
The other option will be for commuters to link the mobile app with the unified payment interface (UPI) to pay the toll amount directly from their bank accounts. Two technologies being tested — mobile-based Wi-Fi/Bluetooth and mobile-based ultrasound technologies — can be used to make such a payment. “As soon as the vehicle reaches the toll plaza, the system will identify the toll lane, vehicle category and the exact toll amount will be deducted from the wallet or the bank account through the UPI gateway,” said an NHAI official.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:26   #19
BHPian

There is hardly any dedicated queue for even fast tag on the Bangalore - Chennai highway for example. Real Problem is not paying, it is the waiting in the queue to pay. Even if there is a prepaid wallet that I had already paid through, I will still need to wait in the regular queue to get it verified!.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Nothing beats the 'SALIK' of UAE / Dubai. Its extremely seamless, smooth and a fantastic experience. No stoppage, no queues, no fuel wastage.

Hope a system on the lines of SALIK is implemented on our tolls.
ALTIMAed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Leaving apart the technical issues of Fastag, the actual reason for either fastag or the new one to fail is, IT IS NOT MANDATORY for everyone on the highway to have a fastag.

If it was mandatory, then, everyone will zoom at the toll(Assuming technical things are fine). However, because, only few have the fastags, others will crawl slowly in the Toll queue, the queue builds up and blocks the road such that fastag owners will also be blocked. So, fastag fails

For that matter, any system will fail, if everyone do not use it mandatorily. So, I think there has to be ONE system (May be fastag) which is mandatory for any highway vehicles. Else, entry is not allowed AT ALL. The vehicle has to return back.

Then, for initial 2-3 months, there will be struggle but later, things will be smooth

Second solution is, there has to be a separate road around 1-2 kms away(Both sides of Toll) from toll for Fastag users. The road joins the highway after 1-2 kms. This way, all Fastag drivers will divert to separate road and move fast. All normal drivers will go through normal toll.

I donot see any other solution to this problem

Last edited by gkveda : 23rd April 2018 at 13:01.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Every time a new idea comes up, it's an opportunity for the people in charge to hog the limelight, grab news inches, build careers, make money. Government or private sector, it's the same story.

If the same effort was put into making existing systems work, it would be far better. But that commonsense view, which will benefit the actual users, seldom prevails because there is less in it personally for the egocentric idiots in charge.
Rightly put, this tughlaq mindset is the bane of all things put together. Sometimes the thought behind an idea maybe well intentioned but the way things are implemented in our country has a lot to be desired.

Even then for a country as diverse as ours there are potential roadblocks aplenty. I would guess once a rule has been formulated all efforts should be put towards enforcing it. Once the original intent is diluted all the efforts go waste. Would take some time now to review how the new system pans out.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:16   #23
BHPian

FASTag is a great solution if implemented correctly.
If the RFID scanners at the Toll booths are sub-standard then the same should be changed by the toll operator.

There still exist multiple payment methods like Paytm, local area cards etc but all these are not implemented properly.

If collecting cash is an issue, then the onus should be on the government to reform toll collections.
Why should the public in general be hassled every time a new policy is announced.
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:30   #24
BHPian

As mentioned above, SALIK in Dubai and our ERP gantries in SG, working flawlessly for a long time now.
Easy to reuse and recharge.
You just cant escape tolls, period.
Attached Thumbnails
NHAI Toll Tax: You won’t have to stop at NH plazas to pay toll-erp_0.jpg  

Last edited by nitishk : 23rd April 2018 at 13:31. Reason: added more
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
debit a linked bank account when a vehicle passes through a toll booth
This also requires that all vehicles owners have a bank account linked to the license plate and that this database be up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
This is becoming similar to one of those questions - why don't (at least educated) people use digital payments (at least) where they are accepted?
Unfortunately despite me being an avid user of non-cash methods of payments I have not opted for fastag simply because of the queues I see in the fastag lane while on the not so often highway trips I embark on. I also closely follow the fastag thread.

I was elated at the thought of zooming by the toll plaza once fastag is upto speed. Back then it seemed like a feasible solution. Imagine the about of fuel saved!
I hope the authorities press on with its implementation rather than abandon it.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 23rd April 2018 at 16:16.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:58   #26

Quote:
This will ensure automatic deduction of the toll amount from their bank accounts to allow seamless travel through toll plazas and provide an option to those either not using smart tags (FASTags) or not recharging them.
I have seen a few times, lorries with FASTags but with insufficient funds slowing down FASTag lane. The same issue could crop up when accounts with insufficient funds are linked to tolls.

To make this work may be penalties or overdraft kind of facility can be introduced.
sarav_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

While everyone has the right to pay by cash, the fact is that traffic moving at 80 km/hr comes to a crawl as average speed through the toll booth is seldom more than 5 km/hr. This even in massively staffed toll booths like Vashi (with upto 3 people at times dispensing the receipt, loose change or notes).The end should be attainment of higher average speeds through the toll rather than the technology in itself, ensuring minimal disruption of traffic flow

As a beleaguered user of FASTag, the only advantage I felt was being spared of all those candies in lieu of change!

Last edited by SDP : 24th April 2018 at 10:02. Reason: as requested
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 07:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be immense confusion on this issue. The best option is to replace all toll plazas with camera based toll collection systems which will automatically debit a linked bank account....
Very impractical in a country like ours where finding vehicles without number-plates on highways isn't unheard off! Implementation and monitoring on this scale, where police departments across states have to work in tandem to get this working, in a system like ours? Phew!

Quote:

Avoiding problems caused by cash users in RFID lanes is simple - once a single tag is introduced, make most toll booth lanes RFID only, and impose a 2x toll on cash lanes (and 4x toll on cash users entering RFID lanes).
It always puzzled me as to why toll booth operators did not incentivise RFID tolling - it reduces the cost for them, and makes immense sense. But cash has its benefits in terms of non trace-ability.

Frankly, we need to follow up on demonetization with drastic measures to curb cash usage. But Modi has been burnt so badly that I doubt he will do it.
I've always thought this was perhaps the right answer. A set of priority and FASTAG lanes. Where people pay additional for priority (say 2x) and are penalized for entering Fastag lanes without the tag itself (3x/4x). This will also become practicable if the lanes are separated a little before the Toll Plaza, say about 250 mtrs, with higher toll displayed and highlighted as the default. And obviously, these lanes are automated. No other way of passing, other than actually paying the toll. No human attendant to terrorize.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 24th April 2018 at 07:05.
Old 24th April 2018, 10:12   #29
BHPian

I seem to be in the minority in this thread. I recently purchased Fastag through ICICI and stuck it myself on the windshield. I regularly drive from Chennai to Ranipet crossing Sriperumbudur and Chennasamudram. I have never had a bad experience with the tag readers not functioning properly.

I have noticed more and more trucks who's owners seem to opt for Fastag as opposed to having to give the drivers cash and collect receipts which in turn increases my waiting time at the Fastag lanes. However I regularly spend less than 5 minutes waiting for my turn.

I especially appreciate not having to lower my windows in the heavily polluted air and also not having to fumble around for correct change. I personally love this experience, but then I don't mind having to spend a few more minutes in my drive due to this wait.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 15:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I seem to be in the minority in this thread. I recently purchased Fastag through ICICI and stuck it myself on the windshield. I regularly drive from Chennai to Ranipet crossing Sriperumbudur and Chennasamudram. I have never had a bad experience with the tag readers not functioning properly. *SNIP*
This is funny. I have driven all over South-, West- and East-India with my car; and the ONLY TWO toll-booths where I have problems are Chennasamudram and Nemili (Sriperambudur). Every trip (and I mean every single time) I have to do two or three back-and-forths in each of those booths for the tag to be read; and every time the smart-ass operator will try and tell me that I do not have sufficient funds; that the readers are working fine.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks