Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 15:43   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 30,000 Kilometers. 3 Years. No Flat Tyre. When did you have your first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My car completes 4 years and 17500 KM with nil punctures! Running on stock MRF tyres with tube. Before this I had a pre-owned Sipani Dolphin during the mid 90's for three years / 12,000 KM, which ran on re-treaded tyres. Same story there as well!

Come to think of it, in more than 25 years and 225000 KM of riding over four different bikes, I have had a total of about 6 punctures overall!

I usually can see a nail and avoid it while driving / riding, and no body believes me when I say that! But it is true!
How on earth can you see a nail lying on road and take corrective action? Man, you must be having some super eyesight.Guess during the night time you are plain lucky of not having punctures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
That is unbelievable Gansan. Tyre workshops in your locality would eye on you if they see this thread.

Thats really sad. And with bike, we have no choice but bring some Tyre wallah or take the wheels to them which makes it a difficult task.

Thats why tubeless tyres on a bike are more are a boon! When i had tube type tyres on my pulsar for the initial 22K kms, i always used to have this fear of the tyre getting punctured when i am going to somewhere important/urgent. But thankfully the tube type tyres never got punctured even a single time. But the irony is , after changing to tubeless, i have had some 5 - 6 punctures till now
Old 11th June 2013, 16:38   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your experiences - Punctured Tyre

My first puncture was at about 10K kms. That time my car had tube type OEM JK tyres. A few years later, the same tyre, in fact the same spot. The previous repair job gave up & hence the air leak.

Then changed to Michelin tubeless. Flat tyre the next day! In fact, that was a faulty valve. The pin inside the valve was changed and thankfully no flat tyres since then.

My bike came with tubeless tyres but once got punctured by a long nail at about 8K kms. I realized that after about a month's time. Rode to the tyre wala and he charged Rs 100/- for the fix. With the small time & effort he had to put to repair it, I thought tubeless repair should be cheaper.

BTW, thinking to get a tubeless tyre repair kit and an electronic inflator.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:36   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I am one of those with fewer punctures than what seems to be the average here.

My Laura has completed 35,000 kms with just one puncture. I can't remember when was the last puncture on my other rides!

My recipe...
1) Always maintain correct air pressure. I don't rely on pump gauges and carry around my own gauge. I've also got a spare gauge and check readings with both gauges every once in a while to make sure that the main gauge has not gone out of calibration.
2) Factor road conditions and load while deciding on pressure to be maintained.
3) Scan the road surface and avoid going over 'suspicious looking items' and take the safest path which will keep the tyres, alloys and suspension happy.
4) Keep off extreme ends of the road and keep to the centre of the road as much as possible. The sides is where a lot of debri is often swept up, esp in the rains. Overtaking can wait!
5) Slow down for potholes and craters.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

^^ Exactly what I do! I check the pressure once a week, and keep 2 PSI over recommendation (4 PSI in my bike).

I am not exaggerating! I CAN see a nail or any metallic object most of the time, though not all the time! Perhaps my usual speed (50 - 60 KPH for bike, ~ 80 KPH for car) also helps!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:16   #95
BHPian

Re: Sharing my experience

I got my first flat tyre at 8000kms, it was the front right tyre which lost air while the car was parked in the parking lot. The culprit was a gel pen tip which was recovered from the tube, so it was probably an act of vandalism.

The second, third and fourth punctures were found on the same tyre (rear left). They occurred at different locations in Delhi and occurred approximately 7-10 days of each other. I wasn't able to ascertain that a puncture had occurred in time and ruined the tube on all three occassions.

To this day I have a phobia and feel that the rear left is punctured and I stop the car on the side of the road to check on all 4 tyres.
Old 30th July 2013, 15:25   #96
BHPian

I have had very few punctures in the last 7 years but few of them are memorable.

One is when I was going to Raigad with a friend of mine. Those familiar with the road will know that almost 5km of the ghat road is very poor and since there was a lot of dust rising we were travelling with the window panes closed. Suddenly two bikers started gesturing us to stop. I was taken aback since I had not caused any harm to anyone. Then one of them said that your left rear tyre has a flat.
Now wanting to stop on the ghat road was the next problem. Yet we found a wide piece of road and stopped there. Just as we were about to remove the jack, a heavily loaded truck arrived and went ahead but apparently it could not go any further due to some issue with the gear shifter. It stopped just ahead of my car and it started rolling back !! We gave a good holler and it stopped. The cleaner got down and put a large boulder behind the rear wheels. We quickly changed the tyre and got on our way.

Another time was when we were travelling with friends from Sangli to Pune. Just after Satara on the highway the right rear wheel went blop blop blop. I stopped immediately - we had a flat and no jack ! To our luck this happened right in front of a petrol pump across the road. We crossed the road but the tyre shop there was closed. Then we thought that let us try and request any similar car to lend us their jack. This was more difficult than we thought it would be since most thought us to be some thieves or unscrupulous dupers.
Finally an elderly person in a maruti relented. The jack was fine but the spanner kept spinning sometimes since it was worn out. Still we managed to change the tyre and the good man went on his way in the other direction. It sure feels good whenever you meet good helpful people.
Old 30th July 2013, 15:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving with a screw lodged in one of my rear tyres for a month now. Hopefully it hasn't pierced deep enough (tyres are 40K kms old Acceleres) or is plugging the hole by itself.
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:53   #98
BHPian

My SX4 has had another puncture after quite some years!! The Screw (not sure what is it, since it looks like a bolt from the top) had punctured the rear left tyre. Looking at its size I was surprised how it had missed the front and punctured the rear.

2 of my friends and I had taken the spare out, loosen the nuts and was raising the vehicle, when a good samaritan, looking at the way 3 of us were doing it, volunteered to change the tyre. He raised the vehicle quite quick and replaced the spare. I really thank him, since he it quite quick. We tried offering some money, but flatly refused. Glad to see all is not lost, and people do help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Your experiences - Punctured Tyre-20160401_puncture.jpg  

Old 4th April 2016, 16:32   #99
BHPian

Had the first puncture of my elite i20 at 15.5 kms. Had just exited my office, and had barely driven for 2 metres, that I started to hear a clipping kind of noise, I thought might be some plastic or something that has got entangled.

Got down, checked all tires, no puncture no sign of anything else. Then I saw it, a 1 inch screw, the kind which holds the cat eyes together had pierced the tyre.

However no air was leaking, did not find it prudent to drive with it, that too over BETL :|, took the nail out, the air started to leak, changed the tyre, and went to Michelin tyres at HSR 27TH main, I think the shop is Tyre empire, got a mushroom puncture done, cost me 321!, Using the same tire now.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 4th April 2016, 16:47   #100
BHPian

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Around 2 years before, I took my Palio to Madiwala for picking up my brother. While coming back, car is started dancing slightly like some stone is attached in one Tyre with some noise. Got down and checked it, couldn't find any in the dark night. Started moving again with the same dance, it is started wobbling heavily and I have to stop the car again to check it thoroughly.

I just placed my hands on the front left Tyre, only to get some punctures in my palm and to know all the steel wires came out and the Tyre looks like decorated with fish bones. Not sure how that is happened.

That is my first puncture / Tyre bust experience and that night I learned how to change the Tyre in cars.
Old 6th April 2016, 15:19   #101

So my first post on this forum and it is to do with a sidewall cut. Just noticed a cut on the sidewall of the left front tyre. This is on an old Hyundai Accent. I am still running the original tubed Bridgestone tyre the car came shod with and I noticed this cut today. Does it seem dangerous or should I be replacing the tyre?
Attached Thumbnails
Your experiences - Punctured Tyre-1459935946799.jpg  

Old 16th February 2024, 17:13   #102
BHPian

Who punctured my car’s tyre?

I drove to a restaurant called The Spice Town in RR Nagar, Bengaluru, with my family on a Sunday afternoon in my Ford Freestyle. The restaurant offered valet parking, so I handed over the car key to the attendant. We enjoyed the lunch and, upon exiting, the valet promptly returned the car to us after 5 minutes. However, as we drove for about a kilometre, I noticed the car veering off course. Upon stopping, I was shocked to discover a flat tyre on the right passenger’s side.

A well-dressed man (around 30 years old) on a moped happened to pass by, observing my struggle. He rode ahead for about 15-20 meters, then circled back to assist. He offered to help and later retrieved the spare tyre from the boot and skillfully replaced the flat one using the manufacturer's jack. As he worked, he mentioned he is the managing director of his three service centres in South Bengaluru and suggested visiting for any future car needs. Overflowing with gratitude, I profusely thanked him. He provided his contact details and urged me to reach out for assistance.
Your experiences - Punctured Tyre-whatsapp-image-20240216-4.54.21-pm.jpeg
However, my investigative instincts soon kicked in. Considering that the tyre was tubeless and the puncture occurred within minutes, I found it perplexing. Visiting a local puncture shop, I discovered the place of the leak and there was no visible object at that place. It seemed evident that the puncture was deliberate, likely caused by someone with ill intentions. I harboured suspicions about certain residents who might perceive the road in front of their house as their property. It crossed my mind that the valet may have parked the car in front of someone's residence, and they could have done this. Later that night, I received a call from the helpful individual who assisted with the punctured tyre. He inquired about the car's condition and reiterated his offer of assistance, emphasizing the affordability of parts compared to the dealership, especially since Ford had ceased operations in India. Expressing gratitude once more, I assured him of a visit if required.

Yet, doubts began to creep into my mind regarding his involvement in the incident. Could he have orchestrated the tyre puncture, followed me, and then strategically offered his assistance to gain my trust and promote his service centre? It was a puzzling situation indeed. The next day, I replaced the tyre with a new one. What do you guys think? Who could have done this?
madhukarmohan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 17:33   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Who punctured my car’s tyre?

You are overthinking this.
1. Your tire has had a flat/puncture; the cause/reasons for this could be multiple and currently unknown. Shit happens, it's okay.

2. A good samaritan (and with a good sales mindset) decided to help you and also did a mini-sales pitch for his firm's services; and followed it up later (again a good sales mindset). If you need to evaluate his services, just google up reviews of his service centers and that should tell you what you need to know. If not, just take it as a good action by a stranger, forget it and move on.

P.s. A separate thread wasn't needed; either this (puncture frauds) or this (puncture experiences) would have sufficed for your post/question.
ninjatalli is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 18:26   #104
BHPian

That's a strange incident you encountered! My analysis:

1. Valet driver - Highly unlikely. He has nothing to gain and likely has nothing against you. If anything, he could be a psycho, although the probability is close to zero . Eliminated.

2. Residents - There is a possibility, but could they be so dumb? Considering you have a better idea of that area, you are the best judge.

3. The well dressed guy - There is room for suspicion. Here's why:
- If he indeed is a managing director, why on Earth would he be riding a moped of all things ridable, that too well dressed?
- Why is he so hell bent on you visiting his service centre to the extent that he took your phone number and called you? If he called because he was actually concerned about your car, why would he 'advertise' in the same breath?
But hey, don't jump to conclusions yet

4. Your hard luck - This is equally likely if not more. There is a very real possibility that the well dressed guy was just willing to help out of goodwill. His call is probably also a sign of the same. If he wanted to loot you, why would he help you fit the tyre for free? Now, assuming he is the villian and punctured your car:
- The probability that you pull up near one of his service centres is really low (assuming).
- The probability that you visit him next time you have a problem is high, but then what are his gains?? Nothing.

5. A completely different person or reason perhaps; either of us may have missed something!

My conclusion = There is no real conclusion that can be drawn in this case. There are a 100 variables here; not all questions in the world have answers!

In my opinion, there is nothing you can do about it now. There is no point in pondering about it either, though I get that it was not a straightforward incident. Change your tyre if needed and enjoy your ride!
CentreOfGravity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 18:59   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post
He provided his contact details and urged me to reach out for assistance.
If he 'urged' you and kept repeating that then there is a chance of him being related to the incident. And the fact that he came alongside you, noticed you and came back after 15-20m makes it slightly more suspicious.

Quote:
I harboured suspicions about certain residents who might perceive the road in front of their house as their property.
This too is a possibility. We tried to park our ritz once near a hotel and we found a spot Infront of someone's house. An ill mannered lady shouted at us in Kannada and threatened to puncture it on the spot. So an Angry home owner might also be the cause.
Quote:
He inquired about the car's condition and reiterated his offer of assistance, emphasizing the affordability of parts compared to the dealership, especially since Ford had ceased operations in India.
This is the part I found most interesting. No passer-by will call you to check up on your car and if you made it home safely unless it had some benefit for him. His emphasis on visiting this garage, and his insistence frames him as the guy atleast for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
- If he indeed is a managing director, why on Earth would he be riding a moped of all things ridable, that too well dressed?
- Why is he so hell bent on you visiting his service centre to the extent that he took your phone number and called you? If he called because he was actually concerned about your car, why would he 'advertise' in the same breath?
- Looks can be deceptive. If its a sham, then its probably a part of the disguise.
- Why would a passerby helping you, take your number, call you back and check if you made it home safe? Definitely not a typical person.

My takeaway : There is a possibility of this man being involved in it but we cannot pin the blame on him. Even though many arrows are pointing in his direction, it could just be a common puncture, as BHpian Centreofgravity said.

But Im on BHpian madhukarmohan's side.

Last edited by arnav17 : 16th February 2024 at 19:03.
arnav17 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks