Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 09:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Goa being a popular tourist destination, people from all over the country/world come over here and take self driven cars/bikes.
Rather than the local Goans, its the tourists who drive/ ride more recklessly on the Goa roads.

Am sure, the visitors/tourists will go back after violating the rules and the rental company guys will have to pay the fine. With this rule, they need to find out some way, so the offender can be fine'd even after he/she leave's Goa.
I am confused about how the traffic police will manage the self-drive rentals in Goa? Especially, the two wheelers. And moreover how the two wheelers rental businesses will handle this?

If someone rents it for 3-4 days, rides it recklessly, gets filmed violating rules multiple time and then leaves the state. It will be really hard to penalise such an offender even if the rental company maintains records of the IDs.

Holding some deposit may be the way but surely this is going to put questions in front of the local rental business owners.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 12:34   #17
BHPian

This happened yesterday. Police have taken cognizance and have promised tough action.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/192232...57663854383633
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 14:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

I think this is a great initiative if implemented strictly and a win win for law and order.

Share the collected fines with reporters. People will be incentivised to report since its free money to be had. Traffic department collects money because they can capture offences that would otherwise have been undetected so its a revenue gain.

And if this gets viral and catches on, people will start obeying laws out of simple fear of being fined.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 15:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I will do this job of sending pics to Police even if they do not pay me or reward me. I just want them to take action against all offenders including me if I am happen to break any rule.
Well said, and this is exactly what I have been doing from many months, via the app Hawk Eye (launched by Hyderabad police).
A clear picture along with the time stamp needs to be uploaded using the app and till date they have always been prompt in responding. I also get a confirmation in a week or 10 days stating that the challan has been issued, which can be verified on the e-challan page. I can see the picture that I have captured is uploaded by the police as proof against the challan.

Regards,
Pradeep.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 20:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I am confused about how the traffic police will manage the self-drive rentals in Goa? Especially, the two wheelers. And moreover how the two wheelers rental businesses will handle this?
Yes they need to figure this out fast. May be Goa police can give a time frame like, one has to share the video's/photo's in the app within one hour of the violation. So they can send a sms promptly to the owner of the vehicle. In that case the rental guys can recover the fine from their customers while they come to return the vehicle.

I don't know how much feasible this will be, but just a thought. Still, if anyone violates a rule during the last one hour of their drive/ride before returning the vehicle, he may escape!
Old 11th January 2019, 03:59   #21
BANNED

All of this sounds rosy except that we as citizens may not be deserving of such power. I know that this scheme exists somewhere in China and they have issues with the dangerous driving aspect of it. If one wants, he/she can drive out onto the highway, and force someone else to drive dangerously or swerve, capture their evasive maneuvers, tag it as dangerous driving, report it to the police, and get paid I feel this is a good initiative but aspects like dangerous driving ought to be omitted as it is a grey area and one can technically cause another to drive dangerously for the camera.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have seen good (and quick) examples from Hyderabad Traffic Police where they immediately act and raise a violation soon after you upload the image of a particular violation - I liked that Instant Karma.

The other good thing they are doing is penalizing those who drive over the speed limits on ORR with cameras that you don't know where they are and this has immensely streamlined and disciplined the car drivers.
I have downloaded the hawk eye app of the Telangana police and have reported a number of offences with video/photo evidence from my dash cam app. No action was taken. My complaints were cancelled unceremoniously, without giving any reason.

Three years back, traffic discipline did improve noticeably in Hyderabad, but now it is back to square one. In fact it is worse than square one now.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fantastic initiative. Similar approach should be adopted by Bangalore police. You will find morons is all shapes & sizes here violating traffic rules as if its their birth right. I would love to take down those bikers using the footpath and the drivers who yell at you and drive away just because you are waiting at a Red light on an empty crossing.

I just tweeted this link to the Bangalore city police & CM cell requesting such solutions be adopted in Bangalore too.. I doubt it will make a dent, but I would request more folks across different cities do something to encourage the respective administration to adopt such solutions. Will really help the common man.

Last edited by SR-71 : 11th January 2019 at 14:26.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
I have downloaded the hawk eye app of the Telangana police and have reported a number of offences with video/photo evidence from my dash cam app. No action was taken. My complaints were cancelled unceremoniously, without giving any reason.
Good to hear these experiences too. Gives a lot of insights than make it remain like an impression.

However, I am still happy about the way they have implemented the speed cameras that has kept speeding cars in control on the outer ring road. They never bothered to stop the motorists by flagging them down right there but instead installed cameras at strategic locations that did the trick.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:45   #25
BHPian

The traffic violation reporting by public is very popular in Hyderabad as well(This program is called Traffic volunteer -- https://telanganatoday.com/techie-tu...aise-from-cops) and I am happy to say that this is an initiative started by me around 5 years back and for last 5 years I have been helping the police. Now there are around 2000 registered volunteers. In last 4 month there are around 30,000 challans generated by Volunteers. In every quarter, best performing Volunteers are felicitated -- https://telanganatoday.com/top-10-tr...rabad-rewarded . The appreciation is in different category, like the maximum challans generated, maximum time spent on the road, helping the police when there is a need like during the new year eve, etc . In this meeting Commissioner promised that he would also take the initiative of rewarding the people who report violations, like in the same way Goa has done .

Last edited by anumod : 11th January 2019 at 14:51. Reason: Correcting the typo
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand the logic of these morons. Instead of following traffic rules they beat up a Sentinel (Alfred was my classmate in school and college). If you follow the rules the Sentinel can't do anything to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50334666_1119743618206726_3371805741202538496_n.jpg  

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50470010_1119743558206732_7254396201863217152_n.jpg  

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50522180_1119743678206720_5807849661792256000_n.jpg  

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50860316_1119743881540033_8571088885390508032_n.jpg  

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50921816_1119743751540046_1532997523000524800_n.jpg  

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-50962097_10157264472587518_8852625284428464128_n.jpg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I don't understand the logic of these morons. Instead of following traffic rules they beat up a Sentinel (Alfred was my classmate in school and college). If you follow the rules the Sentinel can't do anything to you.
I was scared that this program might not be a big success due to the lawless mindset of people on the roads, and what they might do to someone who is reporting on them, but is not on official duty to do so, and here we have it on display in all its glory!

Instead of wanting to mend their ways, and start following the laws of the roads, they want to beat up the whistle-blower for inconveniencing them. Absolute goons. I sincerely hope that they are all identified and caught, then given a sound thrashing, and even sent to jail for what they did to this poor man!

Cheers

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd January 2019 at 21:51. Reason: Fixed on request.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand the logic of these morons. Instead of following traffic rules they beat up a Sentinel
So sorry to hear this, hope your friend recovers.

Unfortunately, this is the 'logic' of morons everywhere - get aggressive when you are in the wrong. Might is right.

I hope the cops re-think this scheme a bit and provide guidelines for sentinel safety. This is always the risk when 'outsourcing' what should really be a law enforcement duty to the general public because of a lack of sufficient law enforcement staff.

I hate to say it, but if a crowd of 50 was involved, I don't see how the cops will bring all of them to book. Another sad bit of 'logic' - the mob always gets away with anything.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand the logic of these morons
Aren't you expecting too much trying to use logic and moron in the same sentence and associating one with the other?

We are living in a mobocracy where each man is a law onto himself. He is right, always. Sanity, respect for law and more importantly, enforcement of rules are not just overrated but also looked down upon.

Hence, the name of the game is to do the right thing, but discreetly. Or, risk being beaten black and blue.

My sympathies are with your friend. As someone who muffles his voice even after looking at the anarchy that passes off for road sense every time I venture out on a drive, I do empathise with him. But as I clearly stated in my earlier post, the reward for report programme is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Foolish, inept and insidious
Hope Mr. Alfred Alameida recovers soon. My prayers are with him.

I also hope that God graces the Goan police with some sense, sensibility and sensitivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks