Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 17:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic Police extorting money from car owners at toll plazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Needless to say, keep all your documents preferably in original with you to produce when asked -
Supreme Court has given a directive wherein we need not carry original documents with us at anytime. Soft copies should work fine atleast in same state of registration.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 17:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Please let me know if I am missing anything.
You are not and neither most of us do but the cops will pretend to miss this information most of times and argue.

Hence I also mentioned this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Soft copies, DigiLocker, Handy screenshots of Govt notification are secondary unless you know the language (local), the way to communicate this, have patience to wait till the babus let you go or even worse, after wasting so much time you are allowed to go after you produce the originals!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 20:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEY View Post
....The cops continued pestering me for the GST Invoice and since I was unable to present the same, they asked me to pay the State Road tax amounting to 2% of the Car Value . ...
GST invoice for what ? GST anyways just came a year or so back. What about old cars. As long as Road Tax is valid what has GST got to do with it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2019 at 17:00. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 20:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The cops continued pestering me for the GST Invoice and since I was unable to present the same, they asked me to pay the State Road tax amounting to 2% of the Car Value . But luckily before leaving for the trip, I did my share of research and saved the necessary documents on my Phone as PDF. So I was pretty confident that the cops are just trying their luck to get some money from me. I challenged them and asked them to take me to the nearest RTA where I want to talk to some senior officials. This played the trick and the cops told me that for this time, they are letting me go, but every time I am crossing the state border, I should even carry GST invoice of the car.
Ridiculous, any private car can move pan India (save some parts for eg North Sikkim) without requiring any permit or paying any additional tax. You are only required to transfer your registration if your period of stay at the other state is greater than one year. Good thing you stuck to your stand.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 01:52   #20
BANNED

Normal day in India to be honest.
I value my sanity more than a few bucks.
Have paid off numerous speeding fines @300 and not the 100 that some members have been lucky at.

Flipside : dad was caught speeding. Licence suspended for 3 months and 1400 fine.
3 days earlier I was caught, didn't show the cop my license, talked to the cop and he let me go in 300.

Most hilarious was while driving to Bangalore from Goa, again speeding. Said 600. I asked for discount. 300 and the cop said "thenks" lololol
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 06:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Have paid off numerous speeding fines @300 and not the 100 that some members have been lucky at.

Flipside : dad was caught speeding. Licence suspended for 3 months and 1400 fine.
3 days earlier I was caught, didn't show the cop my license, talked to the cop and he let me go in 300.

Most hilarious was while driving to Bangalore from Goa, again speeding. Said 600. I asked for discount. 300 and the cop said "thenks" lololol
I am assuming you consider bribing after breaking rules as a value to your sanity?
moralfibre is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:28   #22
BHPian

I had earlier written to some press outlets and to the police. On the Bombay-Pune Expressway there is an "unofficial" exit. It is known to those who know about it as the Pawna exit and is generally used by people who own Bungalows doting the Pavna lake. There is a ramshackle police station there - cop sitting there takes 200 rupees to let each car pass either way. The problem is that they even let cars go which wish to take a u-turn on the expressway and go the other way back to Bombay. This has resulted in numerous accidents and deaths. But cops continue to line their pockets. If someone here is connected, do try and write to to the authorities to make it a proper exit.
invidious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 09:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post

Sorry to be blunt; but it's unfortunate that you feel at peace doing this. The only 'plus' point in this post is you are completely honest about it; and that's also the most sad part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I had earlier written to some press outlets and to the police. On the Bombay-Pune Expressway there is an "unofficial" exit. It is known to those who know about it as the Pawna exit and is generally used by people who own Bungalows doting the Pavna lake.
Is this the exit that comes up just a km before the Lonavala exit (from Pune to Bombay); just next to Sinhgad institute of hotel management? I have seen quite a few local cars entering and exiting through this.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th March 2019 at 09:20.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They asked me to show all the necessary documents including the Car GST Invoice. I was carrying all the documents except for the GST Invoice( Generally we do not require the GST Invoice after the car gets registered.)
Why should the cops ask for a GST Invoice. RC, Insurance, and PUC are all that is required. At the worst, you can also carry the Invoice of your car, but asking for GST Invoice is plain extortion. Sad to see that we are unable to travel freely in our own country.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they asked me to pay the State Road tax amounting to 2% of the Car Value but every time I am crossing the state border, I should even carry GST invoice of the car.
Basically; if you are driving around in a 10lac car and crossing States, you need to keep 20k for each State, in cash, handy for the cops. That is how they want to play this. Would they facilitate the ease of claiming back road taxes from the home state? Good luck with that.

Absolute nonsense. What about a vehicle purchased before the GST regime? I guess that would be Tax Paid receipt. Again; why do they sound like this is mandatory for the owner to carry. The RC, Insurance and PUC is pretty much all you need.

I am all for rules and following them but sometimes things like this make you feel like you are being harassed.
Old 7th March 2019, 11:16   #26
BHPian

I have not experienced this in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I wish they do not get to know about such things.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:43   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am assuming you consider bribing after breaking rules as a value to your sanity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry to be blunt; but it's unfortunate that you feel at peace doing this. The only 'plus' point in this post is you are completely honest about it; and that's also the most sad part of it.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Peace out
Hope no one faces any undue harassment.
It's the police guys themselves who ask for it
Said discount, not bribe.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:43   #28
BHPian

Driving cars and riding bikes for more than a decade I too have been stopped my share of times by the traffic cops.
However, what I did notice that if your are not in the wrong and carry all the right documents they do let you go (also it helps if you have a stethoscope visible in the car).
On one occasion though when I knew I was wrong and was pulled over by the cops I ensured I paid the full challan amount of Rs 1000/- with the receipt instead of the 200/- which he asked without the receipt.
My intention was:
a. I am not abetting a bribe (I know that I am not in Utopia, but a little action from every responsible citizen goes a long way)
b. Rs 1000/- will pinch me a tad more so I shall be more careful next time

P.S: This incident happened with my kids in the car and I also wanted to set a right example.
docprashant is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:47   #29
BHPian

It's good that you have brought up this issue. Now just don't post it on this forum, but escalate it to government level so that there could be some action. You can raise this at R.T.O. grievance system. Pasting here the link for your ready reference

https://transportcomplaints.mahaonline.gov.in/

(Hoping this will help because I got a very positive reply from one of the other government complaint system, not R.T.O.)

@Moderators: Can we have Thumbs Down/Dislike/Don't Agree button just like we have it for Thanks? This will help to eliminate not so correct, morally wrong or offensive posts from the respective thread automatically if it crosses certain number of hits. Just my thoughts, not intended towards anyone.

Last edited by speedguy : 7th March 2019 at 11:56.
Old 7th March 2019, 11:55   #30
BANNED

Mod note: Calm down, and go through rules before you proceed further. Editing the post out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Driving cars and riding bikes for more than a decade I too have been stopped my share of times by the traffic cops.
However, what I did notice that if your are not in the wrong and carry all the right documents they do let you go (also it helps if you have a stethoscope visible in the car).
On one occasion though when I knew I was wrong and was pulled over by the cops I ensured I paid the full challan amount of Rs 1000/- with the receipt instead of the 200/- which he asked without the receipt.
My intention was:
a. I am not abetting a bribe (I know that I am not in Utopia, but a little action from every responsible citizen goes a long way)
b. Rs 1000/- will pinch me a tad more so I shall be more careful next time

P.S: This incident happened with my kids in the car and I also wanted to set a right example.
Bit off topic but the way the government wastes the taxpayers money I don't see any benefit of this exercise.

Different strokes for different folks. If it makes you happy that's the end of it, no arguments from my side.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th March 2019 at 14:39. Reason: Calm down buddy, and strictly no discussion about mod actions. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks