Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 18:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police extorting money from car owners at toll plazas

On my last trip to Shirdi I was stopped by two cops after Nashik toll road, though all the documents were in order I was only having an e copy of the Insurance on my mobile, That it seems is not valid, I tried arguing with them but they asked me to park on the side and made me wait. My Gujarat registered car was a disadvantage.

Since I was traveling with my family I had no other option but to do the obvious.
san2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 18:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Why our Karnataka Police is lagging behind? They are masters in finding out new ways to extort money from public.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 19:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Why our Karnataka Police is lagging behind? They are masters in finding out new ways to extort money from public.
Well yours might be a KA vehicle. My TN vehicle was flagged down immediately after Gabbur toll during the year end NH4 run. They certainly are not there all the daytime unlike their MH counterparts.

As a norm, am armed with all document originals and an update PUC whenever I travel out of state.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 21:41   #49
BHPian

I have often seen these MH cops at toll plazas during my Delhi to Goa drives.

I have never been stopped but there have been a couple of half hearted attempts to waive me over. Since I have a DL registered car, I am always wary of this penchant of stopping and harassing "out of state" vehicles prevalent in the Southern parts. I try to keep to a lane that is away from the road shoulder after crossing the toll plaza as often these groups stand in the lanes near the shoulder. A couple of times a person vaguely waived at me to stop but I pretended that I had not seen it or that it was meant for some other vehicle.

Unless a policeman makes it totally clear, I assume the gesture was not meant for me. Yes, they could chase me down or radio ahead but most of the time they are too busy and lazy- they just flag down the next vehicle. I find such needless stops to be a violation of my rights and I don't intend to stop unless it is absolutely necessary.

When I do get pulled over, I first demand to know why I was stopped. If no violation was committed, then I ask why my vehicle was chosen. If the police provide some logical reason such as security checking due to the republic day etc.I cooperate.

Of course I and all passengers are ALWAYS wearing the seatbelts. So far I haven't had to pay any fines or bribes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2019 at 16:58. Reason: Line spacing for better readability
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 16:12   #50
BANNED

Last weekend was flagged down at Khed-Shivapur toll plaza in the morning time. I was with my parents and family and all were belted up.

Was asked for RC, Insurance & PUC, which were off-course with me and valid. I was promptly shooed away by the visibly displeased cop.
Could it be possible that the reason for these over eagerness to issue a challan is because of March month (year ending)?
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got back after driving from Bangalore to Gujarat and back. No issues at any of the toll plazas. KA-registered car. Cops were there, but they just looked in to check if we were wearing seat-belts I guess.

But yeah, MH cops seem desperate to make some cash. They were doing their best to flag down every passing truck. Big difference from GJ, where there didn't seem to be any such nonsense.

Last edited by am1m : 25th March 2019 at 12:02.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:37   #52
BHPian

Had a similar experience in Pune, I rented a car to goto Mahabaleshwar from Pune Airport with my sister and brother in law.
As we crossed toll plaza we were immediately flagged down, all three of us were wearing seat belts and since I had checked all the documents before leaving I knew everything is in order.
Three cops peeped and demanded one document after another, since nothing was short and I was confident like hell they asked me to open the boot.
Again confident that we were not carrying a liquor the went through ALL the bags and were totally disappointed.
Since something had to be said, they left saying we are watching dont speed.

It has become a constant nuisance in this part of the country at least. I also believe that all self drive cars were stopped without exception.
adi_sun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 18:27   #53
BHPian

I am not sure if my query fits here but still would ask. I am a new driver and have a new car and I have no intention of taking it out of state but may go <200 Kms away from Mumbai sometimes. I want to make sure I carry all the required documents with me in original in my vehicle all the time. I guess this is all what I should have right?
  • Registration Receipt stating that I paid the registration
  • Driver's License
  • Insurance
  • PUC (if applicable, since my car is less than 6 months old, not needed I guess?)
  • What else to have with me in the glove box?
Old 5th April 2022, 19:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
... I carry all the required documents with me in original in my vehicle all the time. I guess this is all what I should have right?
  • Registration Receipt stating that I paid the registration
  • Driver's License
  • Insurance
  • PUC (if applicable, since my car is less than 6 months old, not needed I guess?)
  • What else to have with me in the glove box?
Ideally you don't need anything in original to be kept in the car. You can have them safe at home.
You can still carry PUC and Insurance in original. Rest registration & license can be verified online or through digilocker.

I'd suggest except for the PUC original, have a copy of everything else.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 14:50   #55

Hi,

Recently one of my relatives had driven to Puri from Kolkata. On the way back unaware of the speed limit, he unfortunately over sped. He was driving at 113 kmph when the speed limit was 100 kmph.

He rightfully agrees that it was a mistake and was challaned by Odisha Traffic Police for it. The fine is Rs 2000/- and he is more than willing to pay it.

But there is also a subsequent charge of Driving without a DL for which the fine is Rs 5000/-. He has been charged on the PRESUMPTION that he was driving without a DL. The same is stated in the challan itself. Attaching the challan here.

Traffic Police extorting money from car owners at toll plazas-challan.jpg

Now, how is it possible to fine someone on the basis of pure PRESUMPTION. Then any number of offences can be presumed. I mean why stop at one. Drunk driving etc. can also be presumed.

Is this pressure tactics by Odisha Traffic? So that instead of appearing before an officer in Balasore the hapless person succumbs and pays an additional Rs 5000/- just to get off the charge?

Can someone help me on how to tackle this? I have already emailed a copy of the DL to the yahoo email address mentioned. But the challan amount is unlikely to reduce. Can someone give me some connects to help solve this issue?
shubhsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhsd View Post
.... On the way back unaware of the speed limit, he unfortunately over sped. He was driving at 113 kmph when the speed limit was 100 kmph.

He rightfully agrees that it was a mistake and was challaned by Odisha Traffic Police for it. The fine is Rs 2000/- and he is more than willing to pay it.

But there is also a subsequent charge of Driving without a DL for which the fine is Rs 5000/-. ...
Did he, by any chance, speed away from the cops when they tried to flag him for speeding?

I say this because last year I was caught over-speeding (94 in 80kmph zone) at 7am. The interceptor car with the camera was on the service lane and the cops about 150m ahead. They flagged me down and I stopped.
As they were writing me up, another car sped away even when they were flagging it down. I said "What about that car? They simply get away?" (implying that I was a good citizen for stopping when they flagged me down; The cheekiness, I know! )
The traffic guy then responded saying "Nahi sir, unko 7000 ka fine lagega" (translation: That speeding car will be fined 7000). I didn't quite understand it then, but this incident makes that picture quite clear.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Did he, by any chance, speed away from the cops when they tried to flag him for speeding?

I say this because last year I was caught over-speeding (94 in 80kmph zone) at 7am. The interceptor car with the camera was on the service lane and the cops about 150m ahead. They flagged me down and I stopped.
As they were writing me up, another car sped away even when they were flagging it down. I said "What about that car? They simply get away?" (implying that I was a good citizen for stopping when they flagged me down; The cheekiness, I know! )
The traffic guy then responded saying "Nahi sir, unko 7000 ka fine lagega" (translation: That speeding car will be fined 7000). I didn't quite understand it then, but this incident makes that picture quite clear.
That explains a lot ... he is saying he did not see any cops or authorities trying to flag him down. The amount matches and hence I guess he may have failed to notice them ...

What was your fine amount for overspeeding? Rs 2000/-?
Old 18th April 2023, 13:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhsd View Post

What was your fine amount for overspeeding? Rs 2000/-?
Yes. Rs.2000 in 4 crisp 500 denomination notes.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 19:31   #59
BHPian

Recommend you keep monitoring the echallan link till 15 days from date of challan to check if the DL fine has been removed.

If you want, the phone number of the District SP is available from this link: https://baleswar.nic.in/telephone-directory/ only if you want to confirm that the emailed copy of the relevant DL has been received by the correct officer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks