Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2019, 09:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways

This is something which I or my family would love to use being an ardent fan of road travels. This would make travel more fun and stress free.
The biggest issue with our roads, apart from traffic discipline is lack of good toilets.
While we may debate that it is NHAI and Government's responsibility and such stuff, fact of matter is that we have zilch good toilets and even the likes of McD and other's are botched up in mornings by our so called educated folks and all you see is smears all along.

Should surely be a hit amongst families and especially female travellers as they suffer the most and if we still cannot spend few bucks on our natural needs and hygiene, we surely have our priorities incorrect

God bless these folks !!
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:13   #17
BHPian

Great concept, I highly doubt if this has a sustainable business model. Would love to have been a fly on the wall when this idea was pitched to VC's.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 14:31   #18
BHPian

Really good option, i cant recall the number of times we have stopped at CCD just for a bio break paying exhorbitant amounts for mediocre food, moreover not all CCDs have good restrooms.

10 for urinals is a lil steep considering there are infinite spots for men to accomplish the task. But 20 bucks for the bigger one is a steal, guessing this will become a hit with the ladies and cleanliness freaks.

But like few said here, standalone is kind of a let down, may be a chain like Chai Point can tie up with them and put stalls alongside.
Old 30th March 2019, 21:16   #19
BHPian

I am glad they didn't get too creative with the name!

Such a service is terribly missed by many folks though. This is one such concept of "rest areas" that makes road journeys in the US so much more better - good on and off-ramps; good clean lavatories; gas stations; food courts; play area for kids; etc. We surely need that service. Hopefully they'll eventually integrate more things around those lavatories to make it one stop for all needs.

Also, it's better if it remains privatized. The govt., if it really wants to, could try and subsidize the rates by channeling some highway development funds towards these services.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 10:01   #20
BHPian

Every year our friends group go on a road trip and for the wives, it's always difficult to find the right rest rooms. At times we end up going to restaurants and have a coffee or something for the sake of using the restaurant's rest rooms.

I guess Lavato might be a good option if they stay open. It would be even better if they can setup EV chargers in the parking lots as well.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 06:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'd pay Rs. 10 to take a wiz. The urinals/toilets outside most bus stands charge Rs. 5, if you want to take a dump. You will have to wear a oxygen mask if you have to survive those 5 minutes of sitting on the throne too. Between that and Lavato, I would gladly pay for a clean rest room.

The trouble Lavato is going to have is getting folks to pull over at their rest stops. I mean there is nothing else out there. They should open up a small snack store or something or put up a giant banner that shouts out "Luxury Odor-free Toilets". The EV charging idea mentioned above is also good.

As a few have said, using one at the restaurant is also fine. Just that, to be polite, you would ideally want to buy something from them, else it feels a bit odd.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st April 2019 at 06:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 14:06   #22
BHPian

Damn it. I pitched the same idea to my friends on my last year trip to Goa. I see a big potential in the business model where we have a handful of public toilets on our highways and forget about finding a clean one.

Its a boon for ladies and combined with few extra's (snacks, water may be free Wifi) this can become the next hotspot while on trips. Imagine this
Baby: Mom I want to take a leak
Baby 2: Mom I want some chips and cola too.
Mom: Checking out on google maps, "Hold on, the next Lavato is just 2 km's away". We'll wrap up both of you there

A win-win situation for all.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 17:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent stuff, I am sure most of us won't mind paying that 10 or 20 INR for a clean washroom. Challenge is going to sustain the quality and maintain more footfalls
Old 2nd April 2019, 23:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Stopped here yesterday evening on way back from Chennai.

Similar to Binands experience, there was no one when we arrived, saw at least 6 employees around the place.

Urinal usage is charged at Rs 10 and ladies restroom is charged at Rs 20. Entire place is clean and doesn't have the smell or any negative characteristics you will associate with a public toilet.

While we were about to start back, saw two older ladies approaching the reception. That is when I noticed an inherent issue with the current setup. The ladies looked a bit uncomfortable with the process of issuing tickets, turnstile & empty place.

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-pano_20190401_183343.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 23:18   #25
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

While driving back to Bangalore after a lazy Sunday morning drive in the Wagon R (rarely gets to see the highway), decided to stop at Lavato. This is just before the Mangalam hotel and the building is at an angle from the highway and can be missed easily when driving at highway speeds, better to slow down seeing signages for Mangalam.

It has a tiny signboard facing vehicles driving on the highway but this can be barely noticed and I think this definitely needs some thought, maybe a large billboard about 1Km or 500m before this would be good.

As expected, the place was empty at around 10:30am (people prefer to use the free rest rooms at the adjacent Mangalam hotel!)
For a moment I thought it was closed, the dark tinted/stickered glass walls gave that impression and after I walked up to the door and tried pushing it, found that there was a lone attendant inside at the counter.
I had family in tow, so we paid for the usage of rest rooms and came out mighty impressed with the facilities and maintenance, this is a boon on our highways.
Just hope the low footfalls do not impact them adversely at least in the short run.

Just hope people will go ahead and pay some money to use decent rest rooms.

Waggy was the only car in the parking lot!
Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-pkglot-empty.jpg

Swachh Bharath signboard
Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-swach-bharat.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 7th June 2019 at 23:42.
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:30   #26
BHPian

Tried Krishnagiri Lavato, very good quality. They got toilets, shower, dress change, convenience store and pappu chaiwala.

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-20191225_182530.jpg

I asked them if they also got resting beds for a short power nap, they said they are considering to introduce that as well.

It is 20 bucks for urinal and toilet, 200 for a shower. All worth for those who like cleanliness. Wish they maintain same level of quality as they grow.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 25th December 2019 at 18:31.
Thermodynamics is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 23:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Tried Krishnagiri Lavato, very good quality. They got toilets, shower, dress change, convenience store and pappu chaiwala.
Actually this is the only Lavato in the entire country and incidentally, I too tried it for the first time on 25th The staff was very courteous and eager to explain the facilities. Pappu chaiwala is also a new addition and opened only on the 24th or 25th.

The biggest downside, however, IMO is the location. It is very easy to miss as it is situated a bit off the road and there are not many signages. And secondly, there are many good eateries nearby with somewhat decent toilets which deter people from paying and using this facility. I wish they open up more such facilities especially in stretches that lack proper rest areas/restaurants.

For the people looking to try this place, when driving from Krishnagiri towards Bangalore, once you cross the Krishnagiri toll, keep an eye for hotel Mangalam on the left. Lavato is right next to it.

And lastly, it is open only from 6 am to 10 pm.
Jaguar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 02:25   #28
BHPian

I traveled recently to & fro Krishnagiri from Bangalore and have no recall of seeing this. Since I was the one driving may be I ignored thinking of it as one of the many restaurants. But a good initiative indeed. Maybe they will turn into small motels on the long run and offer power nap beds, shower or may be just a 10 x 10 room to rest. Would be highly useful, economical and safe especially for bikers on super long rides.
Old 1st January 2020, 22:29   #29
BHPian

This is a brilliant idea for those travelling with family. My wife and kids would love such facility on the highways. I would specifically search for "lavato" during roadtrips if it has pan-India presence. Hoping they will be successful although I am not entirely sure about standalone model. May be they can get licenses for a fastfood chain and a fuelling station, and outsource them to get more footfall.
Comrade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 23:07   #30
BHPian

Fantastic idea especially for women and kids as the one's in restaurants are not that great at all places. And even then showers are something that is welcome. I'd stopover for a short nap and a shower to freshen up on long drives Just so that this doesn't abused and considering the light footfall I hope the place is guarded and safe.
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks