Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 14:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

No one created a satnav point of interest file for road humps yet ? Would be quite useful on some roads where no markers are visible for speed bumps.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Is there any way to enforce this. Can the Road Tax payers demand the government to make proper speed breakers instead of "Spine & Car breakers"

-arun
I think Team-BHP is the right forum to press on local Governments to atleast REGULATE and MARK these monsters.
Old 7th April 2009, 16:11   #18
BHPian

This is a great title for the this thread.

not surprisingly most of these posts here are from bangalore.

The new speed bumps (the broad, concrete ones also acting like a pedestrian crossing), seem to be a slightly improved version of bumps we have had in bangalore. But they should make it mandatory to paint them to indicate there is a bump.

the ones of 100ft road indiranagar installed quite recently are a clear case in example, none of them have any markings on this, and i actually do have to memorize where they are located on the road. this can cause severe harm to motorists driving at night, considering our govts ingenious idea to save electricity (by tunring off the street lights).
Old 8th April 2009, 11:17   #19
BHPian

India Traffic Authority (ITA)

Note to Moderator: Not sure in which thread this should be posted - please decide for me. Thanks.
-----------------------------

I have been thinking for a very long time now that the traffic regulation, atleast in the Indian Metros should be handed over to a Central Government Organization, that could be called something like "India Traffic Authority (ITA)".

Considering the utter failure of state governments in maintainance, enforcement and conviction rate, the benefits of creating such an authority (on the lines of TRAI, SEBI or EC), is the need of the hour.

I also feel that Team-BHP, through its collective wisdom, can do a lot to make this happen.

Some points to note:
  • The ITA should not be answerable to the state governments
  • The jurisdiction of the ITA could initially be the Metros, later expanded to cover any Indian city that has an airport, and so on
  • Laws should be enforced, uniformly, and even for Government Drivers
  • Signage should be made uniform (in fact, it is better if we evolve symbols for everything, so that no language is used)
  • Lane discipline should be made uniform
  • The people who work at the field level (Inspectors, sub-inspectors, constables, home guards, etc.) should belong to ITA, and not to the state governments
  • People on the ground can also be rotated, to ensure fair enforcement
  • The whole set-up of ITA should be protected statuorily, like how the Election Commission operates
  • The ITA must be in charge of every road in its jurisdiction, with respect to fencing, digging, rallies, etc.
  • The ITA must also evolve a scheme of stiff penalties
  • The ITA must have access to all the drivers license database in the country
  • Every field worker of the ITA must have an hand-held device, in which, once the vehicle registration number or the DL number is entered, it spits out the entire history of the vehicle / driver (if IRCTC can do it, why can't ITA)
  • The ITA must also be fully equipped to meet any traffic violation firmly - pick-up trucks, high-speed motorcycles, wireless, gadgets for licence database, etc.
The motivation for ITA is as follows: Just for a second, imaging if we had allowed the state governments to operate railways in India !

Other suggestions welcome.
Old 8th April 2009, 17:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
This is a great title for the this thread.

The new speed bumps (the broad, concrete ones also acting like a pedestrian crossing), seem to be a slightly improved version of bumps we have had in bangalore. But they should make it mandatory to paint them to indicate there is a bump.

This is too dangeous & it is a death trap if proper lighting is not provided near the speed breakers, I ran over one of them at 80km/hr on the outer ring road after the dhaba restaurent. The very next day they had painted it.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:29   #21
BHPian

Are speed breakers effective in this era of faster automobiles

In olden days, speed breakers were serving their intended purpose. Gone are the days of slow cars. Even the slowest cars accelerate to 40 in 5 seconds. IMO speed breakers help in causing jams, reduce the life of suspension components and also hamper fuel efficiency. I have seen and heard many cases of bikes and scooters falling down because of speed breakers. Often two wheelers ride on the shoulder of the roads to avoid the speed bumps and cutting into the left lane without having a look at the mirrors. This causes problems to other motorists. I have seen many gearless scooters opening full throttle just after crossing the hump. Dear fellow BHPians, please vent your opinions whether speed breakers are necessary in todays' traffic with faster cars and bikes?
Old 4th November 2013, 23:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Are speed breakers effective in this era of faster automobiles

I am not sure if they still serve there purpose or not. What I am more interested is in getting them changed from there olden gigantic proportions to those modern small yellow ones which are equally effective and possibly safer as in case you fail to spot them, your vehicle won't jump. Also due to there natural colour they are easier to spot in daytime and in dark.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 23:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
In olden days, speed breakers were serving their intended purpose. Gone are the days of slow cars. Even the slowest cars accelerate to 40 in 5 seconds. IMO speed breakers help in causing jams, reduce the life of suspension components and also hamper fuel efficiency. I have seen and heard many cases of bikes and scooters falling down because of speed breakers. Often two wheelers ride on the shoulder of the roads to avoid the speed bumps and cutting into the left lane without having a look at the mirrors. This causes problems to other motorists. I have seen many gearless scooters opening full throttle just after crossing the hump. Dear fellow BHPians, please vent your opinions whether speed breakers are necessary in todays' traffic with faster cars and bikes?

Yes. Speed breakers are important to reduce accidents. The day our road users respect rules, the day we do not have an innocent goat, cow, buffalos, circus rejects and a small indian family of 10 travelling across a supposedly toll road,on the wrong side, on a 50cc moped, it matters.

The cars that can do 100 in 40 secs are here too. And there are cars that can do 200 to 0 in less time. And as we all know bikes can do much better than that.

If 'when in rome, be a roman'(holds good), when in India try to be an Indian. Can save a life, need not be the shumi on a audi, even a goat. A life is a life.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 02:16   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not sure if they still serve there purpose or not. What I am more interested is in getting them changed from there olden gigantic proportions to those modern small yellow ones which are equally effective and possibly safer as in case you fail to spot them, your vehicle won't jump. Also due to there natural colour they are easier to spot in daytime and in dark.

And if the speed is not decreased to go over the small Black & Yellow ones there will decent damage to the tyres / suspension and will induce rattles.
So it does work for what it has been designed.

Anurag.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

If licenses are issued stringently, we wouldn't be bothering with speed breakers.

Forget stringent measures for a moment, if license is issued as per norms after doing all the tests & scrutiny, then that would be more than enough.

To curb speed, one very intelligently puts unscientific speed breakers. What does one do in a no-honking zone? Nothing much that putting it up in writing. Similarly, in a speed regulated zone or approaching junctions, railway signals or at any place, one would (by instinct) slow down and cover his brakes.

Most problems are because of lax license issuing authorities. If that is done, I think the roads would be much better to drive around in.
Old 5th November 2013, 09:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Interestingly enough, speed breakers are being introduced in many European countries, or have been used for many years. You will find them typically in suburbs, but even in major towns. But also for instance near school etc.

Contrary to most of them in India they are well signposted, well lit and clearly marked. They are also of various design. Depending on the road and how much they want the maximum speed to be, you will find various design, shapes, heights etc.

They are still considered a very effective speed restriction measure.

For the anoraks under us: my wife is from Barbados and they call them "sleeping policemen" (Very apt!)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 09:29   #27
BANNED

Speed Breakers are called Sleeping Policemen in the UK. In India they are often ill designed, unmarked and not illuminated. They can be lethal to two wheelers esp Scooters. Some will damage the underside of a car even at normal speeds, and the less said the better about rumble strips.

There is a Allahabad High Court judgement from the mid-1990's banning speed breakers on National Highways. How may prosecutions for contempt of court - zilch!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 09:53   #28
BHPian

In the current scenario of Indian traffic where there is total disregard for signals and pedestrian safety, speed breakers are probably the best way to ensure reduced speed.

Now Pune recently got a new version of speed breakers, this is meant as a road crossing measure, but the design being what it is , one can ride it out at a reasonable speed. IMO, the rumbler strip is best way to slow down the traffic. A depression in the road even better!
Old 5th November 2013, 10:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
In olden days, speed breakers were serving their intended purpose. Gone are the days of slow cars. Even the slowest cars accelerate to 40 in 5 seconds.
Very effective!

Most of the time, the slowest car that can do 0-40 kmph in 5 secs will be stuck behind the fastest truck/bus/tractor that can only muster 0-40 kmph in 5 MINUTES. So speed breakers do serve the intended purpose of cutting speed.

But these yellow colored rolling barriers placed like a slalom course is better at cutting speeds. Because it forces 2 laned traffic to merge into a single lane, cutting overall speeds.

Road humps - A substitute for traffic law enforcement?-download.jpg

Those barriers on the highway can sometimes be irritating - but on the upside, you can test how fast you can go through the metal slalom course without crashing your car into the barrier. A perfect test that involves braking, steering, acceleration & quick gear changing.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 10:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Speed Breakers are called Sleeping Policemen in the UK. !
Interesting, never knew that, never heard the term in the UK either, and we lived in the UK for many years and still own a house there. But I guess it makes sense, it was probably the British that brought the 'sleeping policmen' to Barbados in the first place.

I was always under the impression that it was very much a Bajan expression. For no other reason that in Barbados the policemen sleep a lot. You drive pass the little police stations in the rural areas and you will find them sound asleep, just like the speed bumps, just less effective.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks