Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 13:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Cash payments at toll plazas could attract 10-20% surcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, the government is planning to penalize those paying toll by cash by charging 10-20% surcharge. The move aims to promote cash-less payment methods like FASTags.
I agree with this penalty on cash. Why would anyone want to spend time at the toll plaza paying cash and collecting change?

After using Uber/Ola on the BETL, I came to realize what a big scam this is at the expense of the honest toll payers and those using cashless systems. The cashless lane is used by the freeloaders. The toll-person at this lane is a special agent, who is responsible for allowing the freeloaders through. This is done by handing him a paper slip, which will either be read as "Expired" or "Invalid" or some such thing by the system. This toll-person will simply enable the manual over-ride and let the freeloader through. On some days they will not allow freeloaders, and this causes delay for everyone, including those who have the cashless facility. This also gives the impression to some people that the cashless lane can be used as a "cash" lane.
Next time train your dashcam on the display at the toll-gate and at the same time keep an eye on the registration number of the vehicle.

I would suggest harsher penalties, such as making the offending vehicle go back to the paid lane and charging double, or even 10X, for misusing the cashless lane.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:38   #32
BHPian

Whether you call it a discount or a surcharge, it means the same, that there would be a difference in toll paid based on the method of payment. Fastag or Cash.

It is not as if people were unaware of this difference. The educated folks and frequent travelers knew about it. But as highlighted by many members, does it makes sense to keep money if you are going to have once a month or once 3 months. Atleast, I don't think so.

Also, if you want promote the fastag usage, then may be it should be allowed to top it up as well as withdraw money from it, if you don't intend to use it. Then infrequent users can top up money in that fastag account, and withdraw the remaining amount once the trip is over.

Last edited by shipnil : 5th July 2019 at 13:40.
Old 5th July 2019, 13:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Took the next lane, paid by cash and also received message of fastag deduction.

If using paytm, you can raise refund from the app(help section) against the respective transaction by attaching image of the printout copy of the toll receipt.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:53   #34
BHPian

I believe They should focus on charging 2-3X from people without tags entering the fastag lane. That will take care of the Idiots using the fastag lane to avoid the queue at the cash lanes. Once the fastag lanes are sorted people will see the benefit and convert.
Plus such a move will also have public support, rather than the proposal to hike tolls all over. Seriously, tolls on Delhi Chandigarh total to around 1 Rs/km ( I think)
Ravi Parwan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 15:08   #35
BHPian

What a breather! Welcome this move. Paying in cash is no crime but the way forward is Digital and small push and nudges like this will have a greater impact on the overall system. Digital should not just mean fastag but also tap cards, QR code based, wallets and mobile currency deduction mechanisms as well.
Old 5th July 2019, 15:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
I believe They should focus on charging 2-3X from people without tags entering the fastag lane. That will take care of the Idiots using the fastag lane to avoid the queue at the cash lanes. Once the fastag lanes are sorted people will see the benefit and convert.
Plus such a move will also have public support, rather than the proposal to hike tolls all over. Seriously, tolls on Delhi Chandigarh total to around 1 Rs/km ( I think)
NHAI has converted all lanes to Fastag/cash lanes now.
On my recent trip to Baroda from Pune, I did not benefit by using Fastag as I was struck behind vehicles that were stopping to pay cash.
Prior to March 2019, on many National Highways, there were dedicated fastag lanes and I could breeze past tolls.
IMO government should pass on a discount of 10-20% to fastag users and reduce the number of cash only lanes to promote digital payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
.......Also, if you want promote the fastag usage, then may be it should be allowed to top it up as well as withdraw money from it, if you don't intend to use it. Then infrequent users can top up money in that fastag account, and withdraw the remaining amount once the trip is over.
I use Paytm Fastag and you can load your wallet which can be used for other purchases too. Your money is not blocked in the Fastag account except Rs 150/- that is paid while acquiring the tag.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th July 2019 at 15:23. Reason: Back to back posts.
nish6474 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 17:08   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Utter stupidity.
We maybe digital, etc, etc! There are still lots of us who are yet to catch-up and catch-on. It is not nice to pull people by their scuffs and force them into something as trivial as this.
Au contraire, it's not trivial sir, not at all, nicht treu. A nation's veritable part of petroleum consumption can be saved if vehicles were to not stand idle in long toll queues. A sizeable part of emissions can be cut if all those engines were to keep cruising on instead of waiting in line, idling all the while. Just the mere elimination of state entry checkpoints after GST was projected to boost our GDP by 1%, the idea being that goods and people will move faster. Faster movement through toll booths is another impetus in that direction.

I've struggled with a "blacklisted" Fastag myself and had to pay by cash, since my Axis Bank fastag's KYC couldn't be done any which way i tried and couldn't be recharged as a result. I've also struggled waiting behind wilful violators who pay cash in a fastag lane (I've switched to HDFC for Fastag now). And yes, I've been double-charged as well (cash + fastag)...

But you know what? On an overall basis, it has been a good investment. I've saved so much time in multiple toll booths so that I could cruise at a sedate 80 Kmph and still average the same speeds as folks doing 100 Kmph+ since they would waste time paying toll by cash every 50 or 60 Kilometers. I would place my trust in Mr.Gadkari, gnash my teeth and bear with whatever hardships there are - knowing that it is no trivial matter and that it is a problem worth solving.

Fining cash toll payments is a good idea - that's my unpopular opinion.

OT: When Modi came to power in 2014, he had requested guidance from the Lee Kuan Yew school of Public Policy in Singapore as a newbie PM. One of the main things they drove home to him was to not give too much credibility to the public's opinion. If there is a greater good to be achieved, he was advised to go hell for leather - even against the popular tide. True story. Heard it from an IAS type gentleman whom I know.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 17:51   #38
BHPian

I am all for this move.

FasTag is super convenient and a boon if lane discipline is maintained (despite a dedicated FT lane existing, few toll booths have it closed & ask to use the other lanes that are FT enabled but used by non-FT drivers).

And the best part is one will not have to hunt for 'chillar' or risk ending up with chocolate instead of proper change.
Old 5th July 2019, 18:54   #39
BHPian

A good move, But there are few glitches. The NHAI should abolish return tickets.

On a family trip in 2 cars, I paid for a return trip the same day at the toll plaza which cost me Rs.69. But my brother has a FASTAG on his car was deducted Rs. 45 because the deduction happens only for single entry. He again paid Rs. 45 for the return. So I have saved Rs.21 by manual ticket.

Also, I have seen in Malaysia, the tolls are paid only digitally, and even if the card runs out of money, there were people to topup the card at the same spot. We again paid the toll using the same card and the same lane.

The fastag should also be issued in the form of a card that can be topped up at any toll plaza
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 19:28   #40
BHPian

I'm not sure what problem govt is solving here. I remember when I was in Chicago, they have a fine system in place for all types (cash/noncash/electronic). No stopping, pass through sensors at 30mph and RFID read and charged, they have dedicated cash booth on the sides of Freeway, where one can go tender cash in machine operated booths and get back to freeway and 3rd option don't have RFID/not interested in cash booths, then pass through the sensors, they check vehicle title and send the final bill to home where they can pay online. This seems like a complete system and not a half thought process like the one we have FASTag which will complicate the system nothing else.
FYI, I have FASTag installed on both my cars and actively using them with proper wallet balance.
driveup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 05:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

My thought is that toll collection was a form of employment for the persons displaced by highway construction. But this is a step in the right direction. After driving in the US, I feel toll booths clog our highways. With digital payments, it'll be smooth flow of traffic.

As someone said, they should dissuade non-fastag users by penalizing them heavily for entering the dedicated fastag lane with no tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveup View Post
I remember when I was in Chicago....3rd option don't have RFID/not interested in cash booths, then pass through the sensors, they check vehicle title and send the final bill to home where they can pay online
India has a long way to go before it can match the US. Been driving in the US for more than a year now and what I can tell you is that people are very honest and law implementation in strict. I was a Niagara Falls in a rental and didn't have any tag. There was an option to allow NY State to charge your CC. The system was so streamlined- on the website you had a column to indicate the period of rental so that they can charge you only for the days you were driving the car.

Also, cars in India don't have a standardized number plate format. (Soon to change though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Instead, they should ensure:
- all their FASTAG readers\sensors are working fine,
- valid vehicles enter the dedicated FASTAG lanes (there are innumerable idiots who enter dedicated FASTAG lanes without the tags and pay money)
- toll roads are maintained well and strict policing should be done to reduce accidents.
I agree with you on this I know it won't solve all problems overnight, but it is a step in the right direction.
Quote:
We maybe digital, etc, etc! There are still lots of us who are yet to catch-up and catch-on. It is not nice to pull people by their scuffs and force them into something as trivial as this.
You can still pay by cash. It'd cost you a bit more. They're just giving you a better option at a lower price to reduce:
1. Labor cost
2. Fuel burnt in idling

The government might be saving 10% and also helping the environment. So why not implement it?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th July 2019 at 05:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 13:58   #42
BHPian

Good move - I've now got all my cars Fastag enabled as have my friends & family, we all agree that's it a much better system.

Hopefully, everyone will be on it soon, as the only hindrance i face at tolls are non Fastag drivers using the Fastag only lane & holding up the otherwise smooth flow.
Old 6th July 2019, 15:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
A good move, But there are few glitches. The NHAI should abolish return tickets.

On a family trip in 2 cars, I paid for a return trip the same day at the toll plaza which cost me Rs.69. But my brother has a FASTAG on his car was deducted Rs. 45 because the deduction happens only for single entry. He again paid Rs. 45 for the return. So I have saved Rs.21 by manual ticket.
I dont think fast tag works that way for return journey under 24hours. For me they have always charged just the balance amount. Like first time you get charged 45 and in return journey you will be charged 69-45=24.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:11   #44
BHPian

Not a good move at all. Why should someone paying by cash be penalized. Its not good to expect someone to get fastag if they pass through tolls occasionally. If digital transactions should be promoted, then try giving a discount but not burden others who do no wrong by paying cash. Does fastag allow transfer of unused funds back to bank account? If its not a complete system benefiting everyone, then this is just a money sucking exercise.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 22:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Not a good move at all. Why should someone paying by cash be penalized. Its not good to expect someone to get fastag if they pass through tolls occasionally. If digital transactions should be promoted, then try giving a discount but not burden others who do no wrong by paying cash. Does fastag allow transfer of unused funds back to bank account? If its not a complete system benefiting everyone, then this is just a money sucking exercise.
I disagree. My reasoning :
  • Cash is cumbersome here. How many people carry exact change?
  • Penalizing cash is NOT THE SAME as rewarding cashless. Why? It is behavioral economics. The idea is to cause pain to those who are not helping streamline the process of toll collection and thus causing a loss to the toll authority in terms of efficiency and to others who have to wait for the "uncooperative" customer to finish the transaction. This has been pointed out by all those who have commented in favor of cashless.
  • Another problem is that cash cannot be tracked like cashless. Cash enables corruption.
  • I do agree that it should be possible to withdraw funds from cashless method. It should not be a deposit only system.
  • Also, the amounts are not so huge that those who can afford to use the tollway and drive a car cannot afford to go cashless.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks