Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 23:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad Metro and the way it changed my intra-city home to work commute

I live close to the TSPA junction on the ORR.
There has been news of the Metro coming up to connect the Airport with Gachibowli.

Honestly I can't wait for it to get started. I love the clean and awesome Metro services.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 07:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

There are a few things that our Government is investing well into and the Metro is one of the more important ones. The first time I saw Delhi Metro, I was zapped. For a moment, I was wondering if I was in another country, aside from chaos happening on the road. The network probably stretches in excess of 300km today and is hands down the best managed in the country. I wish the all other states followed the Delhi model in terms of efficiency and execution.

Bangalore's Metro has taken far too long and was riddled with issues that were mostly around corruption. Took almost a decade to get a short 6km stretch going! Things are much better today with the network now spread out a bit. A 2 hour car trip that I used to dread, to visit friends in Jayanagar (Traveling from Cox Town), is now dispatched in half the time and less than half the cost of a cab, or even gas needed to do the journey in our own car. Last mile connectivity remains a challenge and I feel this isn't planned or coordinated well with the authorities (If one exists in Bangalore).

Most Metro networks have catered to the needs of the disabled too. Something we tend to forget quite often when we design and build infrastructure.

Good to read that the Metro has worked out well for you in Hyderabad.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th October 2019 at 07:05.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 10:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'm glad you are benefiting from Hyd Metro, pvs. I too wanted to give it a try, but my timings at work are the deterrent. I work from 330 pm to 1230 am, but I leave office around 1030 pm, and it barely takes me 25 minutes to drive 15 kms. The onward journey takes me around 40 minutes in the afternoon by car.

The catch is that both stations that are close by (Irrum Manzil and Begumpet) are a wee bit far to walk with the laptop bag, and the driving distance is double, owing to a divider. Therefore 1.2 kms to Irrum Manzil becomes 2.2 kms while driving, and 1.7 kms to Begumpet by walk turns out to 2.8 kms by road. I do know both stations have scooter parking, so I'll give it a shot one day.

The other catch is that as I am in a support role, I need to respond quickly to any case logged in by a client on CRM. And as my clients are in the US, the chances of cases being opened on my return trip around 1030 pm are more. As long as I am in my car, I am sure of reaching in 30 minutes max. With the Metro, i can never be sure because of the time taken to find transport from office to Hitec Metro (2 kms), and from Begumpet to home (1.7 kms).

But for the above, I'd have regularly used Hyd Metro.

Last edited by vnabhi : 29th October 2019 at 10:29.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Less said is better about Namma Metro, they have just put the BMTC bus on railway track. The attitude of people and management is clearly visible,
*Reserve seats for women,
*Grab the seats no matter where you get down,
*Stand near the doors, block the exit and entry way,
*Stand below the A/C vents, block the air and let others sweat
*No place to keep laptop bags, Stops similar to BMTC buses
*Poor HVAC when trains are full
*45 minutes for 19km travel
Completely agree with your statement. Added to it, last-mile connectivity is very bad in Bangalore and more evident between metro stations. Time taken is almost similar to that on my bike. I travel 40 km(Horamavu to Jayanagar) to and fro within 1 hour one way and costs 100-120 Rs by bike.

By metro, it works out to be more time consuming (about 1 hour 35 minutes) and expensive(Bike petrol of 50 from home to metro station+90 to and fro metro ticket[79 in case of smart card]+15 for bus commute till my destination+20-30Rs for parking)= Costs about 185 per day for commute which translates to 3700-4000 a month.
On the flip side, the commute is a bit relaxed and less strenuous. BMRC and BMTC need to work hand in hand to provide efficient and affordable mass transit, else people won't make the switch to public transport.

On the public transport front, I feel Chennai is better off due to its robust and very affordable MMTS and MTC services. Even the coverage rate is about 75-85% of the city.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
my ridership experience with the Hyderabad metro, and how it has made my life a tad better. The fact that I am taking public transport to work, and in the process, doing my small bit to reduce my carbon footprint, also gives that contented feeling.
That's the Power of an Efficient Public Transit System .

When the Metro started its operations on LB Nagar- Miyapur route, I was one of the happiest souls around .

I stay in Dislukhnagar and work in Irrummanzil . We have a direct bus connection though it took about 1 hour for 13 km stretch in the morning and in the evening , it spawned , a few times, more than 2 hours too, thanks to the Koti-Malakpet logjam and I was on the verge of frustration. Then I tried a combination of routes on bike and car and ola/uber , which all either significantly emptied my pockets or left me

Then, when the Metro was launched, the station was around 1 km far. It takes exactly 19 min from my station to the destination and my office is just right next to the destination station.

The total commute time fell, to my delight, from a min 2.5 hours to 1 hr 10 min. It'd reduce to 45 min if I park my bike under the station.

And guess what, I once came back home to have lunch and went back to office and I felt little exhaustion.

Though this did not continue long as I had to move out of Hyderabad for work, I still use the Metro to get into the city.

No wonder, the Hyderabad Metro made many lives easy.

Quoting Gustavo Petro -

"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.”
poised2drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 08:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Quoting Gustavo Petro -

"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.”
Well said!

Kerala is blessed to have it's own metro in kochi.

I was not a great fan of the Kochi metro, would have preferred more fly overs instead to reduce the traffic snarls. And the current coverage is limited.

But once the expansion of the metro to Kakkanad is completed it would shave of precious travel time for many.
Old 30th October 2019, 14:43   #22
BANNED

In Bangalore rush hour traffic covering each KM seems to take longer than trip to Mars and back.

Couple of my office colleagues who used to drive have switched to Metro from Banshankari to Marathalli ORR. One of this guy had initially tried renting a room near office!!.

Me likes chauffeur driven to work while car is for weekends.
Me takes cab/shuttle to office catching a nap after heavy breakfast and the same back. Keeps me punctual
Old 30th October 2019, 16:21   #23
BHPian

Used to Travel 150 km a day, From Greater Noida to Gurugram, crossing 3 states

My Work-life balance was going for a toss, and the additional moolah wasn't worth it.

Took a small cut, and switched to Noida, life is chill now,
just need to cross one expressway hardly taking 30 mins.

Family is happy, so am I.

P.S. I recently read one survey/study which stated that millennials are taking almost 40% pay cuts to work in stress-free zones.
Used to feel it's utter bullcrap, but it all makes sense now.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 18:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Used to Travel 150 km a day, From Greater Noida to Gurugram, crossing 3 states

My Work-life balance was going for a toss, and the additional moolah wasn't worth it.

Took a small cut, and switched to Noida, life is chill now,
I was in same boat till August 2018, daily commute was 120 Kms, Ghaziabad to Gurgaon through Delhi.

Then switched jobs, different industry, salary hike. Now work hours are extended. Time saved in commute goes there now. Life is still not chill.
Old 30th October 2019, 19:30   #25
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
What an excellent write up. Its not just about some time saved but a change in lifestyle and well being. I am afraid not many understand that.

Question - Your commute is 20 KM one way and takes you an hour or so... correct? Have you given cycling to work a thought? It should take you no more than a few minutes more; is a whole lot of fun and the health benefits (wear the mask thingy) are undeniable. Given that the weather is getting cooler; maybe give it a try? As long as your office has a place for you to freshen up and change; I feel its worth a shot

Thanks Urban_Nomad, glad that you liked the write up. Yes, my commute is 20 Kms each ways, and the average commute time is an hour and 10 minutes. I do a Btwin Riverside 120 geared bike, but never gave the thought of biking to work. My goal is to stay fit and physically active, and as of now, walking at least 10,000 steps a day, is my target. Yes, sometimes, on a Sunday, i do take my bike out and head out on the Warangal Highway, and do a roundtrip of say 40 to 50 Kms. That gives me a much needed workout, plus is enjoyable too.

Last edited by bblost : 30th October 2019 at 20:34. Reason: Fixed tag quote.
Old 30th October 2019, 20:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Kerala is blessed to have it's own metro in kochi.

I was not a great fan of the Kochi metro, would have preferred more fly overs instead to reduce the traffic snarls. And the current coverage is limited.

But once the expansion of the metro to Kakkanad is completed it would shave of precious travel time for many.
I made a couple of trips with my wife from Thrissur to Kochi (MG Road area) during my last vacation. Each time, we preferred to leave our car at Kalamassery and take the metro for the rest of the journey. I think in terms of costs, it didn't probably work in our favour, but it was worth every penny for the time and stress savings.

I think with the latest expansion, connecting the railway stations and the Vyttila mobility hub, the Metro will work even better for outstation travellers who travel to Kochi for some work. As you said, an expansion to Kakkanad at one end (for the IT guys) and the airport at the other end (for travellers) would work wonders for Kochi and the metro.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 22:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post

One of the main issue with the Chennai Metro is, it's not available in the core residential areas or the connectivity to the nearest metro station is either poor or non-existent. Knowing this, I took metro to office for about 6 months and eventually dropped it for the following reasons.
  • I cannot park my car at Airport metro as it costs 350/- for a day. No monthly/seasonal pass available
  • Suburban network has grown exceptionally and getting some space to stand in the first class in itself has become a daunting task.
  • I had to take the suburban train and get down at Tirusulam station and most of the time I had to wait for the suburban train in the return leg as the timing between trains is 20 mins after 9:00 PM.
  • Parking woes at Tambaram Station
Back to self drive and I still feel better than the Metro rides in the current scheme. May get back to metro only If I can reach the nearest metro station in ten minutes.

Construction for more lines of the Chennai metro system is going to start soon and it is going to cover most of the city including OMR, porur, T.nagar, adyar, alwarpet, nungambakkam, perambur, medavakkam etc. And the parking charges are intentionally kept high at the airport metro station to make sure the people who actually come to the airport don't park in the metro parking lot. Parking charges will be far less at Minambakkam or any other station for that matter.
Old 31st October 2019, 14:30   #28
BHPian

I started using Bangalore metro about 2 weeks back to commute to my new office which is about 20kms away. I drive to nearest metro station with proper parking and take metro. Once I reach the destination, drive a Yulu miracle (electric bike) to office. Return follows the same sequence in reverse.

Next month will be switching to BMTC volvo
Old 1st November 2019, 10:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Happy for your PVS.

I stay at Old Alwal and do 60 Km up and down daily. I commute through my two wheeler (Access125) and mostly in the same set of mood after returning home (Frustrated and drained). If only we had a metro atleast in 3-4 Km radius it would have been a boon.
+100. I stay at Yapral and take my car and pool with my friends/ colleagues everyday to office. My office shifted to a bigger and better place but my transport has gotten worse (4 hours to and fro). I don't see any other option apart from Shuttle or easy commute apps.
Old 1st November 2019, 20:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
*Reserve seats for women,
*Grab the seats no matter where you get down,
*Stand near the doors, block the exit and entry way,
*Stand below the A/C vents, block the air and let others sweat
*No place to keep laptop bags, Stops similar to BMTC buses
*Poor HVAC when trains are full
*45 minutes for 19km travel
The BMRCL needs to be more proactive to make the experience better. The metro is rated for max speed of around 80kmph but is restricted to 67 kmph. Even this is not achievable due to the short spacing of approx 1 km between the stations. By the time the train reaches its top speed it has to slow down for the next station.

Regarding people standing near the doors, they must pulled out and fined on the spot at the station. Like random checks.

I have not experienced commuters blocking the AC vent for themselves. However, i agree that HVAC system is poor at full load especially during summers. I do not know if this is a technical limitation or the restriction put in place by BMRCL for the AC temperature that can be set.

45 mins for 19 kms is very good considering the fact that you are not stressed and are commuting in a comfortable environment
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks