Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Y would adultrated fuel cause burning rubber smell?!!

From his posts, it sounded more like a clutch issue to me.
may the smell is from the clutch, noticed that from cars trying to climb an incline in the first gear in a traffic jam. may be because his car was not climbing in the first gear, the clutch was being operated quite a number of times which might be the cause for the burnt smell.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:30   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hi shankaranand, sorry to hear that you have to miss Ooty and more so since its because of the car (of all things). It appears due to bad fuel, otherwise it would have atleast climbed on 1st gear.
One trick is to approach the hairpin bends fast from the outside edge and diagonally cut across the hairpin, in order to reduce the load on the engine. I think the buses and lorries use this tactic. E.g. if you are climbing a hairpin to the right, approach from the left edge of the road, and cut across the hair pin close to its right edge, and then end up again at the left edge just after completing the turn. This way you ensure that the turn is least sharp and the gradient of the climb is minimal at the turn and you can maintan maximum speed while approaching the hairpin (assuming one-way road, of course). Don't know if this trick would have worked for Shankaranand, though, given the state of his fuel.

The highest load would be in the case where you take a right (left) turn hairpin close to the right (left) edge all the time -- the turn and gradient would be sharpest in this case.

Last edited by rks : 22nd February 2007 at 17:34.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Y would adultrated fuel cause burning rubber smell?!!

From his posts, it sounded more like a clutch issue to me.
It would if his vehicle was struggling to climb and he was helping it along by declutching partially to keep it going.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Good question.

BTW, I am travelling to Wayanad the week of 4th March. Please let me know some good petrol bunks where I can fill.
Tank up at Mysore this is the best option before Calicut, its always better to avoid smaller towns. IOC has a very good pump just before you enter Mysore, 1km before bypass junction.

Again Kalpetta is a good option as there are some company outlets there.

But yes full tank at Mysore is best option and will see you through Wayanad and back including some running around in Wayanad.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I am travelling to Wayanad the week of 4th March. Please let me know some good petrol bunks where I can fill.
Top up in bangalore at any Shell Outlet and you can get to Wayanad.Next stop fill in at Kalpetta before the bus stand on the right side(IOC-Company Outlet).
Another option is to drive further ahead from Kalpetta and you deviate right towards Lakkiddi(Calicut Road).Follow the road and on the right side you have a BP bunk if I aint wrong.Fill up there since I have refuelled there many a times and IMHO good fuel.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

I don't think he will hit kalpetta if he is going from Bangalore. Most people stop on the other edge of waynad as there are some resorts there
After mysore the only place where he may find a CC pump will be Sultan Bathery, though I am not too sure.
But then Kalpetta is just a few kms from most resorts, and he can always drive down a bit and visit the chain tree too.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It would if his vehicle was struggling to climb and he was helping it along by declutching partially to keep it going.
I was doing declutching
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't think he will hit kalpetta if he is going from Bangalore.
Hope I am not hijacking this thread.
I am yet to determine the route. I have no idea whether I will hit Kalpetta. The resort I have booked is in a place called Lakkidi.

Just as most of them have suggested, I will tank it up somewhere near Mysore itself. But I plan to take the ring road at Mysore and avoid entering the city, especially while travelling from Bangalore to Wayanad. I can stop in at Mysore while coming back though. So, I will have to figure out something better on Mysore road then.
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I have no idea whether I will hit Kalpetta. The resort I have booked is in a place called Lakkidi.
You will have to pass through Kalpetta.
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to have hijacked this thread.

@deepakhon ,to reach Lakkidi this is the exact Route from Banaglore.

Bangalore--Mysore--Najangud--Gundlupet--Muthanga--Sultan Battery--Meenangaadi--Kalpetta--Chundale--Lakkidi.

The other alternate route to reach Lakkidi is via Vythiri from the Meppadi side,where in you would have to drive to Mudumalai and enter Kerala from the Niligiris side.
Beyond Lakkidi its the hair pin bends and highway to reach Calicut an absolute pleasure drive.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 22nd February 2007 at 18:11.
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid and rjstyles69, thank you very much for the information. I will PM you both for more info regarding this route and reliable petrol pumps en route.

Again, sorry for hijacking this thread. I would rather let the actual discussion continue.
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
I was doing declutching

That would explain it!
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:43   #28
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
I was doing declutching
Your posts trigger off a few thoughts, apart from bad fuel:

(1) You say you took the car to Ooty immediately after the first service. How many kms had it done? Usually the first free service will be at 1500 kms. Possibly you should have let the car run in a little more before attempting Ooty? Did you feel any loss in pick-up after the service? (indicating that the service guys fiddled with the tuning, which can be expected at the first free service). My Santro had a very low pick-up after the first free service and I had it adjusted at the next service.

(2) Secondly, one should not slow down too much while taking sharp climbs and also try to go diagonally across sharp gradients rather than go straight up. This might have helped a little, although with a well-tuned fully functional Indigo on good fuel you should not have had any problems in first gear, no matter how you approached the climb. Riding the clutch is not a good idea as it will bring down the life of the clutch.

(3) Hope you switched off the A/C, which is explicitly advised in my Santro manual for climbing sharp gradients.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:17   #29
BHPian

There is a brand new BP outlet some 2 kms after Batthery on the Kalpetta highway. I fill it up regularly there or at times at the IOC pump on the opposite side.

There is another BP station just after Kalpetta enroute to Calicut. These guys stock Speed.

But what surprises me is you had problems with diesel. I thought diesels were normally more tolerant towards adulterated fuel.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Your posts trigger off a few thoughts, apart from bad fuel:

(1) You say you took the car to Ooty immediately after the first service. How many kms had it done? Usually the first free service will be at 1500 kms. Possibly you should have let the car run in a little more before attempting Ooty? Did you feel any loss in pick-up after the service? (indicating that the service guys fiddled with the tuning, which can be expected at the first free service). My Santro had a very low pick-up after the first free service and I had it adjusted at the next service.

(2) Secondly, one should not slow down too much while taking sharp climbs and also try to go diagonally across sharp gradients rather than go straight up. This might have helped a little, although with a well-tuned fully functional Indigo on good fuel you should not have had any problems in first gear, no matter how you approached the climb. Riding the clutch is not a good idea as it will bring down the life of the clutch.

(3) Hope you switched off the A/C, which is explicitly advised in my Santro manual for climbing sharp gradients.

1. For Diesel cars, particularly Indigo, First Service is at 5000kms. I did have few days gap between first service and the trip. Also, In the initial days of trip, The car performed absolutely fine. We hit 120Kmph (4Adults + 2 children) load with AC running on Bangalore-Mysore Highway.. There were absolutely no issues whatsoever till we started for Ooty on 3rd day. I think it took some time for the bad fuel to kick in :(.

2. I am fairly experienced driver.. So I know I should not slow down during steep climbs.. I rev up to get enough torque so that we climb easily

3. The AC was switched off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks