Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How Many Driving Years Have you Got left?
I am done with Driving already! 4 1.05%
About 5-7 years more 11 2.89%
About a Decade or two more 52 13.65%
Are you kidding me? I will drive to my grave! 314 82.41%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 15:36   #46
BHPian

Re: How many "Driving Years" do you think you have left?

I had a terrible 2 wheeler accident , when I was in my final year at college and that was phase 1: I am done driving. circa 1997. That was a shock, and severe mental block.

The next time I drove our car, was in 2010 perhaps? It was sheer necessity, but then I had overcome the shock. Phase 2, and then I got "my" first car in 2012. I thought eventually we might need a driver. I used to be tense often.

2013 : MAJOR car accident . Solid build of the car meant we were unharmed. But THAT did it: Somehow, I had no fear or mental block post that! It took no counselling or I never felt that it was the end of my driving time. Instead, after the car came back from the workshop, I only started driving even more carefully, sedately and now I enjoy driving. Phase 3, this!

But will I drive to my grave? Perhaps, no! But definitely till I can continue safe driving. People have mocked and jeered and laughed behind my back, at my sub 60kph speeds, but I love that wheel time. And yes, I get 18kmpl from a Punto petrol that way, and 14 plus from the 1.8TSI too! I believe this is the safety sweet spot in NCR region.

Yes, the occasional triple digit to keep the 180PS motor warm at times, but that's it! When I am on the expressway with no obstacles in sight for a really long distance ahead. Both the egos massaged : one machine, one human lol!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 16th December 2019 at 15:49.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:40   #47
BHPian

Bought my first car when I was 23, by paying 62.5% of take home salary as EMI. But I don't own a car today. I prefer mass transport, rental cars, Uber, motorcycle. I would call it being frugal, rather getting old with my years in technology job numbered. Owning a car eats up a lot from potential savings, I know it is not even easy to calculate, when we look at the indirect expenses. #driveshame?
Romins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 17:03   #48
BHPian

Voted (for option 4) with my heart!

But I'm not sure how it'll pan out- what with nagging back problems (herniated disc) at this age of early 30's preventing me from embarking on those really long drives (i.e., the ones that span more than 7-8 hours) and exploring the nook and corner of this vast, beautifully diverse country!

Slightly off topic, if anyone's been through a similar situation, it'll be really helpful if they can share how they overcame or were able to cope with the condition and still enjoy our- BHPians'- common passion.

Last edited by vivek_lm : 16th December 2019 at 17:06. Reason: Added the voting option I selected.
vivek_lm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 17:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

While driving always appeals to me, I fear that within a decade or two, regulations will catch up on account of congestion if not pollution; restricting driving to a hobby like say, horse riding or only for the privileged few.

Voted hence, for a decade or two of driving left
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 18:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

I am not voting on the poll because my choice is not there. I have a feeling that the concept of humans driving cars will go away much before I lose my ability to drive. Autonomous cars would be the norm in 20 years, unless technology comes to standstill some how.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 18:07   #51
BHPian

Good question and frankly, I had never thought about it earlier. My vote is to drive as long as I can. But I was also sad that there will definitely come one point in life when I may not be able to drive at all (relating to eyesight issues, age, unsteady hands, etc.).

By the way, what is the maximum age till which people are allowed to drive private vehicles?
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 20:21   #52
BHPian

Give me a car, bike an cycle or a bullock cart as long I am in charge of the stops and not rubbing shoulders with anybody I am going to be and in control of the vehicle I am driving/riding, I will not opt for public transportation unless its to a different continent. Not that I don't want to but the hassles seems to be quite a bit but it were less

My dying wish would be an across the globe in an automobile.

LIVE TO DRIVE all the way.
rulerofsun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 21:00   #53
BHPian

I still have a lot of driving still left in me. I know I will be able to drive only till my son is not 18. Post that I may not have an option to sit on the driver's seat anymore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lm View Post

Slightly off topic, if anyone's been through a similar situation, it'll be really helpful if they can share how they overcame or were able to cope with the condition and still enjoy our- BHPians'- common passion.
I too have a herniated disc. C5-6 region.call me crazy, but, wore a neck collar and drove all the way to Mathura from Pune and back.
Did multiple long distance trips as well. Drive atleast 900km before calling it a day. Have done non-stop driving of 1300km solo on two occasions.

My mantra? I make sure I am relaxed before the drive starts. Nothing works better than a good night's sleep. (Though I love to drive during nights, however, with family along with me, I stick to 4 am to sun down rule)
Other thing is to have lots of fluids. Makes one compulsorily stop for loo breaks, that is when stretch my body and take a small walk to ease my leg and back muscles.
Never engage in road rage/race. I stick to my own comfortable pace (between 80 to 100 kmph depending on road conditions)
The more tensed you are while driving the more pain you would feel in the spine. Tension is known to aggravate atleast my herniated disc condition.
Rest, I make sure to enjoy every moment I spend behind the wheel, because, life is too short and I have miles to cover before I am forced to give up driving ...
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 21:19   #54
BHPian

Voted for last option. Will drive for as long as I can.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 22:11   #55
BHPian

Oh come on! People who hate driving don’t deserve a driving license. I am only 20 years now. I wait for every occasion to drive. I don’t care about distance and time.
I enjoy driving to college. Though it is only 5 kms away.
Oh yes, I love parking too. I want my car to perfectly fit inside those yellow parking lines. Even if it is off by few degrees, i start the car and park it again. Is there anyone else like that?
My dad also loves driving. We drive for 16 hours straight, during road trips. We don’t feel tired. We feel energetic.
Old 16th December 2019, 22:33   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a what if/why if dilemma like a long line of threads, when it comes to people selecting their options.. but I'll still bite and give my 2 paisa, since I belong to the absolute minority of the bunch, all of 4 people.

I'm done, I'm young, but I'm done.. it doesn't mean I won't drive, like swimming, running or other activities, I'll do it whenever necessary, but no long distances or even for that matter, no unnecessary drives.

We've always been a single car family, and now the driver does most of the duties in his half day shift (11 am to 5 pm), max I do is drive back from office, while he drops it off (no Uber /OLA strictly) so his only big assignment is to drop it off from home to wherever I am by 5.

I still enjoy driving, but I enjoy the rear seat more.. I just like showing off to my driver with my parking skills and driving accuracy and reminding him that I'm always THE man (all in good humor).

Presumably, traffic will become worse and worse, and it's without doubt that the Golden era of driving is behind us. We just use the car for pure A-B, and its fun to take the reigns every so often where driving becomes more enjoyable.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 01:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

I probably have 5-6 decades of driving left in me considering I'm less than quarter of a century old. I'm finding ways to reduce my commute in a car by using a bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Autonomous cars would be the norm in 20 years, unless technology comes to standstill some how.
Doubt it in India. I'm sure the Technology can be India ready in 20-30 years, but the government will not allow it as driving is a protected profession. Why do you think the government has mandated yellow and white registration plates?

Can't drive?
1. Hire a driver if you own a car

OR

2. Hire a driver and a car if you can't do #1.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th December 2019 at 01:49.
Old 17th December 2019, 12:05   #58
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the last option. As part of safety considerations, one should be able to drive till the eyesight and reflexes are in perfect condition. This may change if kids started occupying the driver's seat .

Last edited by RGK : 17th December 2019 at 12:07.
Old 17th December 2019, 12:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Doubt it in India. I'm sure the Technology can be India ready in 20-30 years, but the government will not allow it as driving is a protected profession. Why do you think the government has mandated yellow and white registration plates?
About 25 years ago, every street in cities and towns of India had STD booths, enabling you to make local, std and isd calls. It generated lots of jobs. Yet, the mobile phone revolution killed that industry in a decade. Don't ever underestimate what technology breakthroughs can do to government policy and user habits.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:43   #60
BHPian

Humans were never good at predicting technology. Sputnik made us predict that humans will start living in other planets and it never happened. None predicted growth of internet, and it happened even before we realised.

Reference: Sapiens : A brief history of Humankind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks