Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 15:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Though you are not from Bangalore, we can assure you that the picture of the Ecospace campus absolutely nailed it! The other proper choice would have been ITPL, Whitefield. I have personally spent more than two hours, just to come out of that campus gate on to the main road, seen on the left side of the pic. One of the primary reasons to resign from that job and move on!
I have heard about the crazy traffic in Bangalore but two hours to move probably 50 meters?! Was it due to road works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Mate. Ecospace is so bad that sometimes we spend 30 min to an hour inside the campus. Can Mumbai boast of something like that?
Although not 2 hours, 30 minutes just trying to reach the road is also pathetic. But, on normal days, how's the traffic around Ecospace?

I stay in Delhi and I am aware of Gurujams (thankfully I was nowhere near Gurgaon during that time), I also see heavy traffic on NH8 (Delhi Gurgaon main road) every time I use that road, but this is in a league of its own. Thankfully I am yet to get a taste of Bangalore's traffic as till now, whenever I have visited Bangalore, the company booked hotels near the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It's one city that vacations and departures are planned based on traffic (I do that every year)
Delhi is not too different. I try to plan my vacations primarily during winter to get away from the world famous smog. India seriously needs to get serious about her cities, else they are not too far away from being totally uninhabitable.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Spacing
Old 31st January 2020, 16:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_swift View Post
Although not 2 hours, 30 minutes just trying to reach the road is also pathetic. But, on normal days, how's the traffic around Ecospace?
That's normal unfortunately. The problem is lousy design, the greed of builders like RMZ and the corrupt government that gives approval to these sorts of IT parks.

I work at 'Eco'World, similar in all aspects to 'Eco'space and right next door. So basically, there are 8-10 buildings in a row, each building has about 8-10 floors, each floor can seat what about 300-400 people. Most of whom will take either office cabs or private cars/Uber.

So during morning and evening peak times, getting to or out of work, 80% of these vehicles are all trying to use that one single road to get in or out of the main Outer Ring Road, which is itself jammed because all along the ORR are several such IT parks with similar wonderful designs.

Sort of like battery hen coops, of course much much cleaner and the hens (us) can enter and exit the coops each day! And unlike hens we're there voluntarily. I guess that makes us the more intelligent species?!

Last edited by am1m : 31st January 2020 at 16:09.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:22   #18
BHPian

Only in Bangalore can one experience the Space time continuum. ETA after even an hour of being on road will stay constant.

'Eco' space and 'Eco' world are probably only places where a friend will decline the offer of lift when they are in hurry.

Average speed of traffic in Bangalore is less than 4 km/hour which incidentally is average speed of walking.

Any public transport warrior please do not get offended. I have seen few kilometer worth of jam where majority would be buses fully packed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Spacing
CarJunki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore peak hour traffic start from Monday morning to Sunday night.

My office is located @ Ecity Phase 1. I moved from Indira Nagar (moved twice within) to BTM 2nd stage to Ecity (moved twice within) to escape from traffic. I stay just outside Ecity-Phase 1 (3 km from office) , still it takes 30-40 minutes daily. I can walk faster.

Last edited by Latheesh : 31st January 2020 at 16:29.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:52   #20
BHPian

I take this route almost every day to office and one of the biggest problems I notice every single day is how in-disciplined the traffic in Bangalore is.

On service roads, you can see two, three and four wheelers coming from all directions.

Then there is the dubious flyovers with wide open approaches and exits making them perfect bottle necks. check the pictures posted and you'll see this for real.

Then the buses that forever block the roads and stop as and where they like blocking others.

The bus lane - Recently introduced, although might seem like a good idea no one really seems to care about it.

To top it all, we are the No#1 city with the highest number of one ways. got a traffic jam? See if you can create a One-Way creating bottle necks at some other place. In my honest opinion the large number of constructions and concentration of companies in some parts are adding to the whole mess.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 13:07. Reason: Spacing
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The amazing part about the photo is that, this is officially a 3 lane ( on each side) road of which 2 are reserved for buses
Old 31st January 2020, 19:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Here is a night view at the same spot.
Actually these pictures are at least 4 years old. The foot over bridge at Ecospace is not seen here. Construction of that started somewhere in 2015.

A most recent picture will be far more frightening
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:29   #23
BHPian

That's not a surprise to me at all. I am from Hyderabad and if I want to reach Bangalore by driving, I would prefer to start in the afternoon time and would try to reach Bangalore airport area at least by 10 PM, so that I won't be spending much time in traffic to reach my Brother's place which is at Bommanahalli. Also, for my return journey, I would prefer to start from Bangalore by 5 AM expecting that I don't stuck in traffic and cross the Bangalore Border by 6 AM.

During my last trip (Oct 2019), even though I started by 5 AM, I got stuck in traffic at Silk Board signal and it took 30 minutes to cross that spot.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:30   #24

I have driven quite a few times between Kerala and Bangalore. Bangalore traffic is so much worse that I always start by noon from kerala so that I can enter the city at midnight.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st January 2020 at 20:30. Reason: Typos. Please proof-read posts before submitting.
Darkman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
week I was in Bengaluru for a quick trip after a good 6 years ! Was trapped in that exact spot in the picture.

I am hoping that metro will reduce a lot of traffic, but its going to take a good 8-10 years.
Metro or suburban railway network will not make a iota of difference to road traffic density. Traffic, once it reaches this level will stay the same forever. This is not pessimistic thinking or giving up hope, but the reality.

I recently read that 4.2 lakh passengers use the Metro everyday, which is heartening to know and this might increase to even 10 or 20 lakh in the future. But road traffic will be reduced due to this factor? I bet, no way.

This is a city with a population of over a crore and around 8 million vehicles. There will always be people filling up space when people vacate.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

That picture isn't representative at all. In actual traffic, the photographer would never get to the spot in time to click rush-hour, unless he's perched there sniper-style since the previous night!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:20   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who identifies only with Bangalore, and who can't imagine spending more than a week in any other city (hated them all, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Pune, Mysore, Coimbatore etc) and if I move even one kilometer away from the city I feel terrible, but slowly its dawning on me that burgeoning population, an anarchist motoring mentality & nihilistic governance and policing is slowly turning me away from the only place on earth I can call home. An erstwhile paradise is now a dystopian nightmare that us Bangaloreans cannot come to terms with.

There are a ton of misinformation as to the real culprits of each traffic jam, though. Allow me to break it into a few classifications below :

1. IT Jams :
ORR i.e Bellandur to Kadubeesanahalli, Kadubeesanahalli to Inner Ring Road (Old Airport Road), Kadubeesanahalli to Whitefield, all across NH 44 to Electronics City, parts of CV Raman Nagar and Old Madras Road leading to and from IRR etc. This is basically all one circular path stretching maybe 40 km at best. Some parts of North Bangalore have an IT belt as well but it's a fraction of the above so nothing much to write.

2. BBMP Jams :
This is a combination of narrow roads which were suitable for the Bangalore population of 25 lakhs in the 80s, and new age money minting scams like white-topping, drain cleaning/replacing and cable laying.. affects almost every road going in and out of CBD (it's a tiny ring starting from Residency Road and outlining Brigade and MG Road) like Adugodi, Majestic, Nrupatunga Road, Lavelle Road, Langford Town, St. Marks Road, Wilson Garden etc. Basically the CBD is a major pathway to the bus station and railway station, both almost situated in the same area leading to massive congestions. Horrible planning of the city to say the least. Almost 30,000+school/college students exist in that tiny 2 km length of CBD, leading to the worst congestion during the mornings and late noon. Institutes have expanded, not roads. Many people go to airport too via CBD.

3. Ill planned living : Bangalore south-east is almost crumbling at its seams because even those that travel 50 km daily want to stay in Bangalore south-east, thus putting more pressure on the roads.

Other than this Bangalore actually has a relatively pleasant travel experience as far as congestion goes. The chief reasons for Bangalore traffic though is zero traffic discipline, horrendous traffic management, the worst auto rickshaw driving ever, the worst band of 2 wheeler riders ever, combined with highest number of 2 wheelers in India. If autos and 2 wheelers were banned here (and I'll be the happiest man on earth if that happens) Bangalore will become a paradise overnight. Mumbai and Delhi are actually higher in congestion but it won't appear so because of lack of so many 2 wheelers and rickshaws that Bangalore is blessed with.

Those who want to jump to conclusions that I'm an elitist, think what you may, even vegans have to feel angry at buzzing, blood sucking mosquitoes once in awhile. Bikes and rickshaws are the mosquitoes of the road.

Last edited by dark.knight : 31st January 2020 at 22:22.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 23:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Bikes and rickshaws are the mosquitoes of the road.
Though I believe that politically correct opinions are the biggest problems plaguing this world and especially our own country and everyone has the right to his/ her own thinking, still your statement looks to be quite far fetched and particularly 'elitist' as you may say yourself. One cannot overpower the truth by bluntly accepting it. Of course, you have the right to your opinion as I have to mine. And I do not ride bike, barely used a two wheeler in my life.

Anyways, coming to main topic, Bangalore traffic is worst as we all know. I 'quit' Bangalore 12 years back, loved the weather and opportunities, disliked almost everything else. Still I shudder at the thought of having to go back to Bangalore. My current home Chandigarh seems like a heaven when such news makes a round once in a while. I feel India needs to have master plan to develop at least two hundred existing or new cities for industry to diffuse some gas from these chambers.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 31st January 2020 at 23:11.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Bikes and rickshaws are the mosquitoes of the road.
Friend, I didn't like the tone of that "holier than thou" statement. The biggest problem is the amount of single person cars to office during peak hours. Bikers and autos ply in haphazard manner but normally don't create jams which could last even for 5 mins. But I have seen cars and SUVs entering into narrow lanes and creating a deadlock. On some roads, cars are parked on either side and leave only a very narrow lane for the traffic. Yellow board taxis, mini trucks, tractors, water tankers and broken roads are the real culprits. "Sridevi" colourful buses are also not so far from that tag. I have seen even pvt car owners driving at ultra low speeds and creating a rally behind them for half a km. None can overtake, none can drive peacefully because that guy in front either doesn't know how to drive OR he doesn't want to move ahead OR he is on phone. Bikers do drive rash, Autos are not saint either but they don't create jams.
adi_gt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 11:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Other than this Bangalore actually has a relatively pleasant travel experience as far as congestion goes. The chief reasons for Bangalore traffic though is zero traffic discipline, horrendous traffic management, the worst auto rickshaw driving ever, the worst band of 2 wheeler riders ever, combined with highest number of 2 wheelers in India.
Buddy I need to disagree with you here, Bangalore being my city of birth and half of my relatives being in Bangalore, I think I've fairly seen the city change over the decades.

I regularly drive to Bangalore and without an exception get stuck in traffic, the situation is so bad that my 5 year old kid has started commenting that we have reached Bangalore as soon as we get stuck in traffic.

And I don't think the problem two-wheeler are the problem here (as from safety and rash driving point yes they are). In any traffic jam you can observe them moving and almost never get stuck (their style of riding makes it risky though). Its always the number of cars on the narrow roads that is the problem. Take for example Kammanahalli, from being a quiet suburb to a hustling and bustling neighborhood everything has changed, except for the roads. The road infrastructure can't take the load of all the four wheeler. As seen in posts above, people find it difficult to come out of Ecospace not because of two-wheeler but due to poorly designed road which is not able to handle the influx of all the cabs and private cars.

By the way BLR doesn't have the highest number of two wheeler in India, its Delhi as of 2018, I don't have the exact numbers but sure Bangalore is not No 1 but No 2.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd February 2020 at 08:59. Reason: Corrected typo : quite to quiet
Jerryaj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks