Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 13:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world

According to a media report, Bangalore is the most congested city in the world in terms of traffic. The city came first among 425 cities across 57 countries according to a report by TomTom.

Drivers in the city can expect to spend an additional 71% of their time stuck in traffic. In 2019, commuters spent on an average, 243 hours in traffic, while driving in peak hours. The highest congestion (103%) was reported on August 20, 2019.

Bangaloreans spent up to 5 hours a year extra for a 30-minute commute when they left their offices on Friday between 7-8 pm, which were the worst rush hours for the city.

Indian cities like Mumbai, Pune and New Delhi featured in the fourth, fifth and eighth position respectively. Between 2018 to 2019, congestion increased in over 239 cities, while only 63 cities had a small decline in traffic congestion among the cities surveyed.

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-38802873_1927041590664551_7698171438569619456_o2.jpg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th February 2020 at 03:51. Reason: Changed Bangalore-ites to Bangaloreans on request. Thanks.
blackwasp is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world

Apt picture blackwasp!

Though you are not from Bangalore, we can assure you that the picture of the Ecospace campus absolutely nailed it! The other proper choice would have been ITPL, Whitefield. I have personally spent more than two hours, just to come out of that campus gate on to the main road, seen on the left side of the pic. One of the primary reasons to resign from that job and move on!

On a lighter note - Bangalore has one of the highest road taxes. We're only making full use of it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2020 at 14:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:57   #3
BHPian

Why am I not surprised? If there's one city that would make me quit driving during peak hours, it's Bangalore. I've driven to Bangalore from Kerala only thrice in my life. Every single time, I would park the car and won't take it out until it's time to go back home. Always relied on public transport/cabs whenever I was there. I've have nothing but huge respect to Bangaloreans who've to deal with it on a daily basis.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:06   #4
BHPian

With Jayadeva flyover under demolition, rumors on Silk board flyover demolition and construction of Metro through ORR, things are going to be worse. We can just pray and hope WFH requests are taken in the right manner by our respective managers.
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:09   #5
BHPian

I am not from Bangalore but this is the primary reason I don't own a car and almost have never considered getting one in India even after driving a lot in US. I am content sitting in my office bus for 1.5 to 2 Hours one way and watching my TV shows and not worrying about anything.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Although the news article (like others news agencies) has focused on the catchy heading wrt Bangalore, the actual report/portal from TomTom provides a lot of interesting insights and details
  • For example - peak traffic hours start an hour earlier in Bangalore compared to Mumbai (and Delhi) both mornings & evenings!

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-pic-1.jpg

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-pic-3.jpg

• The additional time spent on a daily basis during peak hours @ Bangalore - seems less

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-pic-2.jpg

• Interesting stat - check out the congestion % for Mumbai at 12 AM (as compared to single digits % for Bangalore and even global cities like New York and London) - clearly this is the city that never sleeps!

From India only Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Pune have fit into the selection criteria (for cities); hence other cities like Hyderabad and Kolkata don't figure in the list; otherwise I'm sure we would have hogged up the top 10 global list! Delhi's actually seen an improvement (2%) year on year!!!

Interesting research area - I'd love to know from where they sourced the information and how they went about analyzing it (the site talks about a gazillion amount of distance coverage)!

TomTom Interactive Portal : Link

Full report attached : TomTom Report.pdf

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st January 2020 at 14:38.
ninjatalli is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:46   #7
BHPian

We already knew this unofficially and now we have an "Official" title thanks to a company that sells GPS maps and navigation solutions. I don't subscribe to this one bit. Not that i am in any way contesting the fact that we have some of the worst traffic on the planet, i don't want to believe anything stated in the media based on some dubious stats and sensationalism. What a make believe world we live in . We should have censorship against such news doing the rounds.

Who know what this company's strategy is?.

P.S : They could have chosen a better name : TomTom. Seriously?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 31st January 2020 at 14:53.
srini1785 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:53   #8
BHPian

Here is a night view at the same spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-orr.jpg  

kavu75 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am kinda offended, i thought Mumbai traffic was the worst in the world

Attaching a pic for reference of the Western Express Highway just around pre-rush hour earlier this month;

Bangalore has the worst traffic in the world-img_20200118_181800.jpg

IMO Mumbai IS the WORST PLACE TO DRIVE till the METRO WORK is ON.
karan561 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks for the pic, Being a bangalorean i would say bangalore is THE worst. and from the pic of yours, there is some space next to flyover, in bangalore there would be two-wheelers in that space, nothing will be spared on the road, its totally inefficient, there is space left there mate. and hey wait, it is totally acceptable to cause a traffic jam in bangalore by coming in the wrong side with lights on, not just one vehicle a stream of them.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd February 2020 at 08:18. Reason: removed dead links from quoted post
groom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
According to a media report, Bangalore is the most congested city in the world in terms of traffic..
Traffic in the image shown is not considered as traffic jam by Bangaloreans. It will be considered a traffic jam only if you can't see the road at all. Each and every millimeter of road must be occupied by vehicles.
Asish_VK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw this coming and knew it would happen one day. To make matters worse, you have the reckless cabs/autos, bikers coming in from all directions, roads and weird medians and many more.

It's one city that vacations and departures are planned based on traffic (I do that every year) .
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Mate. Ecospace is so bad that sometimes we spend 30 min to an hour inside the campus. Can Mumbai boast of something like that?

We are well on the way to start jams right from home/office doors. May be we can achieve that by next year too.
deep_bang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Last week I was in Bengaluru for a quick trip after a good 6 years ! Was trapped in that exact spot in the picture.

At one time I even thought of taking the train from Bellandur to Marathahalli, there is a gradient and trains going towards Bayappanahalli slow down considerably near the bridge so one can just jump off (please dont try)

I am hoping that metro will reduce a lot of traffic, but its going to take a good 8-10 years.

I am surprised Pune made it to the fifth position, its not exceedingly bad if you are on a bike and if you know good short-cuts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Spacing
NiInJa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Rarely I get to be part of something which No 1 in the world. I am happy & honored to have done my bit and contributed to achieving this distinction.
msdivy is online now   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks