Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 10:46   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party

Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party-annotation-20200301-105848.png

In what is a very interesting trend, zero-alcohol beer is fast gaining in popularity. Why Heineken and Budweiser are killing it with Zero-Alcohol Beer

Quote:
The beer giants have a new burgeoning market: Consumers who don't drink alcohol.

Consumer demand for low-and-no-alcohol brews is booming, making it one of the fastest growing segments of the $600 billion global beer market. Sales of non-alcoholic beer is expected to surpass $25 billion by 2024, according to research firm Global Market Insights.

Heineken was the latest to drive home the point. On Monday, the Dutch brewing giant reported disappointing first-half 2019 earnings, sending shares down more than 5%. But one area of hope was its low and non-alcoholic beer business, which grew by nearly 10%.
And it's not just abroad. In India too, the trend is catching on. More non-alcoholic beer coming your way

Quote:
Anheuser-Busch InBev and Heineken, the world’s biggest brewers, are launching non-alcoholic beer of their flagship brands in India that will compete with beverages of cola giants Coca-Cola and PepsiCo on supermarket shelves and restaurants.

United Breweries (UB), controlled by Heineken, is launching Heineken 0.0, a zero-alcohol version of the beer brand, while AB InBev will roll out Budweiser 0.0 next week across the country.
So why am I posting this on Team-BHP? Because:
  • It tastes awesome! I recently discovered it on a night when I was driving.
  • It looks like the real thing.
  • It's 0% alcohol, and thus 100% safe to have before driving.
  • Let's say you are out with your friends. They are partying, but since you are the designated driver, you are having a coca cola or juice. Trust me, this is a lot more satisfying to have on a clubbing / dinner night (especially if you have one really chilled + in a tall glass).
  • I'd much rather that a BHPian drives after 3 zero alcohol beers than 1 alcoholic beer.
  • They are cheap (lower taxes).
  • It's less damaging than alcoholic-beer.
  • Safe because it doesn't give you a kick / buzz at all. Like ZERO.

All the big brands have entered the segment & they're even available on Amazon & Big Basket. Heck, BHPians from dry states such as Gujarat & Bihar can enjoy one. Note: There are some 0.0 alcohol beers, while some have 0.05% which is still allowed to be classified as zero-alcohol in many countries because its a negligible level (some burger rolls & fruits have more than 0.05% alcohol - link). Mentioning this last point if you have religious reasons.

P.S. Please note Team-BHP's STRONG anti-alcohol rule and avoid any discussions on alcoholic drinks.

P.P.S. We still won't allow pictures of beer glasses in your hand, even if you claim it's non-alcoholic. So please avoid. Thanks for the support & understanding

Clarifications:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I knew this thread would be a bit sensitive, so couple of clarifications:

- I am recommending having this non-alcoholic beer INSTEAD OF the real thing.

- When I said it's healthier, I meant as compared to alcoholic beer...not something like a glass of coconut water / fresh lime soda / green tea.

- I am NOT saying you should have a can of this while driving. Please refer to the opening post again.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2020 at 14:47.
GTO is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party

Isn't this very high in sugar content though?
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Some brands are, some aren't. Best to shop around and compare.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:26   #5
BHPian

I haven't yet tasted any 0 alcohol beer, but I will soon try it. It makes sense when everyone in the group is drinking but you dont. I personally do not drink.

Always stick to Coke Zero, Pepsi Black or Red Bull Sugar Free since they have close to 0 sugar, but yet try my best to avoid them as they are carbonated beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I pulled this up from Heineken. Not that much sugar really However this still says alcohol content as less than ≤ 0.05%

Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hop Extract, Natural Flavouring

NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER 100ML
ENERGY 89kJ / 21 kcal
FAT 0 g
- OF WHICH SATURATES 0 g
CARBOHYDRATE 4.8 g
-OF WHICH SUGARS 1.3 g
PROTEIN 0 g
SALT < 0,01 g
ABV ≤ 0.05%
Y@SH is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 12:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a bad development at all. I for one do not drink any kind of alcohol at all and most brewery's, pubs, restaurants that serve alcohol have absolutely nothing good for the teetotaler. Most places have the name sake-Pinacolada, mojito, some blue red green lagoon stuff and couple of other tasteless drinks that look horrible too. Makes it very weird to get stuck with these stuff when out with a group where majority drink.

This looks a good option to at least visually gel with the crowd.
Rajeevraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 12:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, it seems the humble Red Bull has finally some company. Great for folks who don’t drink and also for an option other than the carbonated aerated drinks. In fact, it might help folks like me who enjoy driving through the night since the sugar content will be taken care off as well!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 13:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Had it for years since our joint family was based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
So Zero alcohol whatsoever.

Parties. Weekend feasts. Picnics.
Half a glass 7UP, half a glass malt beer (0% alcohol).

As a kid, couldn't understand why anyone would have this zero taste slightly bitter stuff, when you could have other sweet carbonated drinks.

When I came back to India, classmates would discuss about beers and other adult stuff (like any high school kids do), I was like, " What's the big deal, I had beer for ages ", and they would look at me with jaws dropped. Only later did I know, here beer meant alcoholic drink and was like the stepping stone to hard liquor. "

Then once, dad brought back flavored beers like Root beers and all. Began to like it more.

Then at college, when the PlanetSoda flavored soda drinks started becoming famous, I was hooked to the 'Fruit Beer' flavor, made me nostalgic with the sweet beer taste, though it's just flavored soda.

Since am a teetotaller , and also have tried to STOP carbonated sweet drinks ( success with bouts of daily dosage for weeks ) , the whole area of Beers; either alcoholic or non alcoholic, is alien to me at present.

Don't really know if alcoholic and non alcoholic beers taste the same, but its Way better if drivers don't mind the lack of kick, and are satisfied with merely the taste for long drives.

More healthier alternative to Red Bull and company.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 13:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Heck, BHPians from dry states such as Gujarat & Bihar can enjoy one.
Visit any Pan Shop in Gujarat that usually attracts good crowd or is popular and you are likely to see a refrigerator stacked with these non alcoholic beers, and their labels almost as authentic as the regular alcoholic beers. This is something I have been seeing since more than a decade now during every visit. Nothing new! May be they imported these too.

Popular Soda joints also serve mocktails with these beers :

Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party-img_20200301_132738.jpg

Check out the "Bar Soda" category in the menu that actually talks about these Non alcoholic beers.

But when it comes to late night driving when I am not drinking, the road is my intoxicant and I need nothing. Not even the so called caffeinated drink that gives you wings!
paragsachania is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 14:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently had a taste of 0% Budweiser Beer in a marriage function. And I was surprised by its taste and fizz. It looks and tastes just the same with 0 buzz. This is a boon for many people who don't drink or stay in dry states. But the taste may not be relished by non drinkers.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 14:39   #11
BHPian

The Barista outlet in our office stocks Barbican non-alcoholic malt drink which is made in the UAE. I've recently become a tad addicted to it. It comes in malt aka beer and peach flavours, but I've only tried the malt one.

Far better than sugary carbonated drinks. Though if I'm tired and have to work late it's still Red Bull for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party-images.jpeg  

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 1st March 2020 at 14:40.
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 15:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

While I understand the business reasons for Zero Alcohol beer, I don't enjoy it.
Either I stay away from drinking if I am driving or I am having a drink and not driving.
Zero alcohol beer are not for me.
speedmiester is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 15:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

I work for a company that has a zero alcohol policy. I have been ordering these non-alcoholic beers for a while now.
I agree on most of the points except the cost. More often than not the Non-Alcoholic version is more expensive than the equivalent alcoholic version.
pedrolourenco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 15:55   #14
BHPian

I cannot believe the timing of this thread. I just got a free can with my bigbasket delivery, opened the can and the first thing I see on the forum is this news article. The first sip tastes like beer, after that there is a watered down taste. This will be my first and last can.
Zero-Alcohol Beer: Your best friend if you are driving back your friends from a party-img_20200301_155027.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 16:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

looks like there is zero nutritional value in this drink. Actually, beer when had in moderate amounts once a week is good for your brain and gut.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...lth-ncna788986

This is just carbonated feel good with an artificial taste of beer.

Less said about red bull the better. I urge anyone consuming this poison to get rid of it from their repertoire right away. Just drink black coffee if you need to be alert.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st March 2020 at 17:21. Reason: The discussion is only about non-alcoholic beverages, thanks for your understanding!
Red Liner is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks