Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 15:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its Good to hear that Ur Dad is fine.
Getting rear-ended by a car doing 80 to 100kph is horrendous.
Looks like the car has shrunk.The body shell will definitely need replacement.
Its highly probable for the chassis to get bent!
Highly probable.. and as if to add insult to injury.. all this just 3 days before his birthday !!!
Old 8th March 2007, 16:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
aaah. When will this ever get to India. Out here we end up paying for the repairs whether it is our fault or not.
Rightly said Rtech!

After seeing how Traffic Police in Gulf, West (UK, US etc) behave in such a polite and gentle manner even to offenders, I could just dream that one day Indian cops will behave that way!

Ben, Thank God your Dad was wearing seat belt and so was safe n sound!

Last edited by finneyp : 8th March 2007 at 16:45.
Old 8th March 2007, 17:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that your dad is OK.The car and the seat belts have done their job well.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 8th March 2007 at 17:45.
Old 1st May 2007, 02:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Dad called up this morning from Dubai to inform that his Audi 80 got rear ended by a Camry last evening, as he was waiting to take an U-Turn, ofcourse, with his indicators indicating the same. The Camry was driven by an Arab national and conveniently uninsured.

Dad was buckled up (which he always does), and as a result suffered no major injury except probably the shock and the impact of being thrown forward.
If he was rear ended, he would be thrown rearward not forward and, in which case the neck restraint (head rest as it commonly known) is the key device to prevent whiplash injury. Seatbelts dont have a big role to play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Very good - one of the advantages here is that you dont have to fight over who's fault it was. The cops come and make a decision and if you get the red slip its your fault and if you get the green its the other guy's fault. Then you take it to your insurers and you dont get a penalty charged if the claim was on account of a green slip.

I'm surprised they asked for a quote from the dealers - all they would do is give your Dad a green slip and the other chap has pretty much had it. The rest is taken care of by the insurance co and you dont really have to worry about it.

I doubt if the fact that your mom works for the medical wing of the police has anything to do with it. They are very impartial and I have seen an accident where a cop as a civilian (not in uniform or on duty) caused an accident and got the rap that he deserved. He was a Captain, and the police sergeant wrote out a red slip for him.
This system sounds good but may not always work. If the party at fault is lying but is good at arguing then the cops may make the wrong decision about the whos fault it is even though they have good intentions.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st May 2007 at 02:54.
Old 1st May 2007, 09:47   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Camry, according to my dad must have been doing speeds of upto 80-100 kmph.
He got rear-ended by a car doing a 100k's!! Man, he should be glad he was in a high-end german car. Good to hear that we walked away safe.

Would love to see pictures of the Camry though.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Benny sorry to hear about the accident man but it's glad to know that your dad dint suffer any injuries. The Audi did it's job of protecting the occupant well thanks to german build and overengineering.

Will he be replacing the car or is it going to be repaired? If it's going to be repaired then will it perform as good as new? isn't Did the entire rear end get squashed?
Old 1st May 2007, 15:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
The Arab probably could be a Milionier, an oil well owner probably and probably he did't want to get into the hassle of law
The question then would be, why was an arab millionaire driving himself and that too a camry!!
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:59   #23
Team-BHP Support

Didnt update this thread since the incident. The Audi did an exemplary job in protecting my dad, but the car eventualy was a write-off. Dont ask, even i am shocked. It being an old model (90's) and with the tough laws with regards to car fitness in Dubai it had to go, as it was now equivalent to a ticking time bomb.

Was scrapped for a pittance, and just cant seem to have gotten over the anguish. Dad settled for a Tercel, as he would be retiring by the end of the year, and so no point in going for a new car now.

@Wimwian : The drive all sorts of cars there.. also the Camry is not exactly a cheap car too.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd May 2007 at 11:01.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@Wimwian : The drive all sorts of cars there.. also the Camry is not exactly a cheap car too.
He he... no need to remind me, I can't even dream of owning one for a long time on my salary

Feeling sorry as I always do whenever a car get totalled... wasn't the arab supposed to pay all repair costs? Does that mean he paid for the replacement...
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

The Arab did agree to sponsor the costs, but as the model was quite old, one coudnt guarantee that the car would be able to get through the fitness tests conducted by the Dubai Police EVERY year. Dad felt it was better to accept some money and plough it into something which was roadworthy. He went back to his old love for Toyota.
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:37   #26
BHPian

sorry to hear about the accident. what year is the tercel? its a very small car, hope its ok for dubai's roads.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:14   #27
Team-BHP Support

@cheap_deal : Since i dont have much of a fascination towards the Tercel, i didnt even bother to enquire regarding the model. All dad wants now is some form of transportation for his stint there till the year end.

It is a small car, but with having just dad and mom who would be the users, i feel it should suffice.
Old 2nd May 2007, 17:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Benny, thats very unfortunate but good to know that your dad is fine...maan collision at 80-100kmph in the rear...it has to be a shocker, mainly because the person inside the car are not aware of it !!!

Abhi
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:50   #29
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident - Dubai is a mess these days. However its good to hear your dad is okay.

Very good - one of the advantages here is that you dont have to fight over who's fault it was. The cops come and make a decision and if you get the red slip its your fault and if you get the green its the other guy's fault. Then you take it to your insurers and you dont get a penalty charged if the claim was on account of a green slip.

I'm surprised they asked for a quote from the dealers - all they would do is give your Dad a green slip and the other chap has pretty much had it. The rest is taken care of by the insurance co and you dont really have to worry about it.

I doubt if the fact that your mom works for the medical wing of the police has anything to do with it. They are very impartial and I have seen an accident where a cop as a civilian (not in uniform or on duty) caused an accident and got the rap that he deserved. He was a Captain, and the police sergeant wrote out a red slip for him.

thats true, the cops here are impartial.
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
thats true, the cops here are impartial.
Impartial, i agree. But its always helpful when you have a person whom you are familiar with dealing with you, which was the case here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks