Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Innova's crazy parking video becomes internet sensation!

Seeing that effortless parking which gone viral all over, another Driver here tries to imitate but eventually fails. Looks like he is not an experienced Driver as he even don't know the basics of parallel parking

Source
nairrk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:03   #17
BHPian

When I saw the first video, I thought this was just a week practiced stunt. Well, stunt or not, it is well practiced! Then I wondered how the Innova got there in the first place. The second video showed that too! That guy must have some sensors in his brain to do that!
And then (not that the Innova as such needs advertising), Toyota should be thanking this man today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Seeing that effortless parking which gone viral all over, another Driver here tries to imitate but eventually fails. Looks like he is not an experienced Driver as he even don't know the basics of parallel parking

Is this now degenerating into some kind of "parking challenge"? Seriously, people!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th September 2020 at 07:00. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Toyota should be thanking this man today!
Naveen Soni Toyota’s VP had retweeted the video on Twitter! Toyota didn’t need to do any promotion for the car.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ils-video.html

Regarding the Mercedes C class (I guess) that tries parking in the same spot, the wheelbase is longer so it wouldn’t have fit anyways!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 9th September 2020 at 12:22.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like he is not an experienced Driver as he even don't know the basics of parallel parking
Hard to believe he is trying like this for parallel parking. It is nearly impossible to park parallel in such tight scenario with his approach.

Endeavour has the parallel park assist feature which is definitely a boon for tight parking spaces. I tried a tight spot where it took almost 15-20 to n fro movement before settling in line. But it was between two cars with a uniform pavement on the other side. Not possible at all in this case as front and rear parking sensor inputs are missing.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I saw the first video, I thought this was just a week practiced stunt. Well, stunt or not, it is well practiced! Then I wondered how the Innova got there in the first place. The second video showed that too! That guy must have some sensors in his brain to do that!
And then (not that the Innova as such needs advertising), Toyota should be thanking this man today!
See what is written below the video (in local language)

He did not know that the video taken by his wife jokingly went viral. 'It's a friend's car and it was handed over to me to give for the service. There was no place to park as some work was going on near the house. Then there is this slab that is laid across the cliff and that is the only vacant space available there. I have been driving for years hence parked the car there easily. Sometime I also used to park my small car here.

The length of the Innova did not seem to be an issue. It was my belief that the Innova could comfortably park in that space. The wife had taken a picture of the car on the phone after it was parked. The next day I took the vehicle and my wife recorded it on the phone.

Source
nairrk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this now degenerating into some kind of "parking challenge"? Seriously, people!
We knowingly await a rash of videos of cars being recovered from Kerala canals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hard to believe he is trying like this for parallel parking. It is nearly impossible to park parallel in such tight scenario with his approach.
It is completely impossible. It is impossible to drive forwards into a much larger space, hence the very existence of the parallel-parking technique, the essence of which is reversing in.

Is it difficult? No. It is textbook stuff. It wasn't when I took it, but it is now included in the British driving test, so even inexperienced drivers have to do it, and do it properly. Does that mean that I get it text-book perfect every time? Oh no, far from it... but frankly, my driving has become a little sloppy with age. Would I park in that much space between two cars? Yes, if I had to, but it wouldn't be as neat as that guy did it.

Could I drive out with that little space? Oh sure, that, in a country where two-wheelers think you only need to grab a car's door handle and pull sideways, is regularly necessary.

Would I do any of this when the price to pay for a small mistake is dropping a wheel off the slab? Simply... No.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th September 2020 at 14:33.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 15:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not want to be a spoilsport over here, but any good experienced driver with the knowledge of basic parallel parking can park here. He just need the guts to take the rear wheel till the edge.
Guys who regularly park at places like Burrabazar, Kolkata will easily park here. Plus drivers driving in hills are also quite well versed with these kind of parking.

Quote:
Looks like he is not an experienced Driver as he even don't know the basics of parallel parking
This guy don't even deserve to get a driving license! He do not have the basic parking sense! I was really missing a “haha” button for this video. Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited by Samba : 9th September 2020 at 15:47.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 16:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I do not want to be a spoilsport over here, but any good experienced driver with the knowledge of basic parallel parking can park here.
Yes. Actually, the most skilled thing is sizing up the space and knowing that the car will fit, especially as it is not his car.
Quote:
He just need the guts to take the rear wheel till the edge
. That's the thing.
Quote:
This guy don't even deserve to get a driving license! He do not have the basic parking sense! I was really missing a “haha” button for this video. Thanks for sharing this.
True. He would have failed a British driving test. As I said, even an inexperienced driver needs to be able to do it there, and I bet they require the regulation 3-4 inches from the curb too!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:31   #24
BHPian

Sorry, if I sound bit off topic, but I could not figure out the big deal about this video. There would be so many of us performing this kind of parking at many point of times if not daily.

Could someone help understand the sensational part of this video?
Old 9th September 2020, 18:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

That is child's play for an experienced driver. The ultimate parallel parking would be thus:
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:57   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That is child's play for an experienced driver. The ultimate parallel parking would be thus:
Brilliant in its own right, but no, not parallel parking.

Parallel parking requires stopping your vehicle parallel to one of the already-parked cars, and reversing into the space. That is parallel parking. Open up the definition and it could include any method of parking alongside the curb, including simply stopping there on an empty street.
Old 10th September 2020, 06:56   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Innova's crazy parking video becomes internet sensation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I do not want to be a spoilsport over here, but any good experienced driver with the knowledge of basic parallel parking can park here.
I was going to post on similar lines. No doubt the man is talented, and the parking spot is tight. But once you do it repeatedly day after day, it becomes second nature. I stick my Jeep to the compound wall and squeeze my other car in through the gap. Sometimes, if the Jeep hasn't been parked perfectly close to the wall, there is just 10 - 15 mm of a gap (on one side) when moving any big car through. In the early days, it required a lot of caution, but soon became yawn-inducing easy. Of course, for anyone new to it, they are shocked. My siblings always comment how I'm able to squeeze through that gap, even at night with low visibility.

Practice, practice, practice .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 07:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
If I am searching for a parking space and see this little slab, a bell will not even ring in my head that this is a parking spot . I will just drive past.
When I take the train in to work, I used to squeeze my Pajero in reverse between two tight posts and then into a parallel park position, near the train station. This is not a legal parking, but one in my opinion causes no inconvenience to anyone. I have seen people marvel at the parking skills displayed.

However, unlike this instance where the person got fame, I was rewarded by the local council with a $100 parking fine for parking in an illegal parking spot.
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would I do any of this when the price to pay for a small mistake is dropping a wheel off the slab? Simply... No.
Yes, that is the key point here!. Him squeezing the Innova into that gap might not have been great. All of us have done such things at least once and some probably everyday.

What is behind and in front of the slab is what will make people sweat if asked to park there.

I would have gladly parked my Unicorn there..
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
.....I used to squeeze my Pajero in reverse between two tight posts......I was rewarded by the local council with a $100 parking fine for parking in an illegal parking spot.
Heh! Probably the first time a mod has got a real life infraction for (parking between) back to back posts!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th September 2020 at 10:52.
comfortablynumb is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks