Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:21   #16
BHPian

Re: UP cop found using stolen car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A WagonR was stolen two years back and the car owner got a feedback call from a Maruti ASS in a nearby city saying it had been left for service by the inspector of a local station.
One should not overlook the Inspector's earnestness & sincerity in having given the stolen vehicle for service at the Maruti Authorised Service Center and not some local workshop!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is probably a scam where the constable stole the bike himself, parked it near some other police station and handled it all without a FIR.

Vehicle theft requires a mandatory FIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamcarFerrari View Post
One of my staff’s 2 wheeler was stolen very recently from a beach. He lodged a complaint at the police station in the jurisdiction where it was lost. It was not a FIR, but they took a complaint. That 2 wheeler was recovered in a different jurisdiction, the owner was called and the vehicle was handed over with a small(couple of thousands) under the table transaction. No court case or any other formality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazayal View Post
One should never do that. Just imagine if a crime was committed by thieves using that two wheeler.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 23:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If folks here are thinking the Indian police forces are backward and behind developed nations, we are. But not in the way you are thinking.

The americans have institutionalized this - It's called asset forfeiture. They can stop a car in public, take the car and any cash you may have with you, and use it for themselves - legally.

An excellent video covering the same.
AbhiJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 07:25   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to the Street Experiences section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 09:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Every now and then, we can see pics in newspaper where police return the money, jewellry that they recover. I always wonder why would police do that

There is so much true understanding about our authorities that anything is possible. Nothing surprises. But vehicles are different since the registration remains same.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 12:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
How do such officers get to sleep in the night? How do they outgrow guilt?

I do wish the enquiry is strict and appropriate penal actions done to all those who conspired.
Just now reading "A feast of vultures" by Josy Joseph talking about corruption & democracy in India.

He says till now (2016) till now not a single CBI enquiry into biggest arms scandals has concluded to & nailed any bribers or beneficiaries.
So doubt your wish will be fulfilled
Old 5th January 2021, 13:13   #22
BHPian

This might be slightly off-topic, but I had a query.

How to DIY thief-proof your car? At least to a rudimentary level?
Old 5th January 2021, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
This might be slightly off-topic, but I had a query.

A gear lock from a reputed brand should be helpful. Even if someone manages to break open the glass, the lock should prevent the car from getting stolen.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 13:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
How do such officers get to sleep in the night? How do they outgrow guilt?
What guilt ? Guilt is for lesser mortals. The whole system is corrupt to the core. In Bangalore o have heard , it is not uncommon for inspectors to spend upto 60 lakhs to get a good posting and that too possible only with political influence. Why should we expect them to be honest? If you go to any police station , the notion that they are there to serve the ends of justice gets quickly dispelled. They are just glorified extortion centre’s who do it assuming a legal right Vs the theives who have to hide to rob or extort money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

A college mate was posted as Sub Inspector in one of the prominent stations of Bengaluru. One day, he was suspended from service for professional misdemeanor. Upon a little probing, I found out that he was intercepted by the cops of a neighbouring Police Station while riding a stolen bike; the icing on the cake was that bike thief himself was the pillion and (hold your breath) was carrying the Sub Inspector's service revolver on his person.

What’s surprising is that this SI was suspended and not let go with some cash under the table. May be this person had a conflict with his superiors and this was a punishment.

The police department saves their own and does not let this happen lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post

Same question. I am trying to figure out a way of putting a GPS tracking system but in a concealed manner , untraceable to the theives who I am sure know to look for these devices.

All I have come up with is a hidden power bank connected to a phone with GPS but it has many flaws. Battery could be susceptible to fire in unventilated pockets. I have to recharge the power bank from time to time etc.
Old 5th January 2021, 14:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Same question. I am trying to figure out a way of putting a GPS tracking system but in a concealed manner , untraceable to the theives who I am sure know to look for these devices.
Just get an autocop antitheft / remote lock / gps track device.

https://www.autocoptrackpro.com/
Old 5th January 2021, 14:17   #26
BHPian

Similar incident happened couple decades ago with my friend. His Motorcycle - RX135 - was stolen; a week after insurance expiry. His bike was famous among friends. Another friend one day saw the bike parked on a roadside parking while travelling through city bus. He quickly gets down at next stop, walks back to confirm and calls the friend with papers on the spot. They inform the police as well, where complaint was lodged.

Policemen arrive, inspect papers and vehicle. My friend had brought duplicate key, along with documents. The police tells him, they need to visit the police station to complete paperwork to get the vehicle and drive the bike to station using duplicate key.

When the vehicle is officially returned, the carburetor was missing. My friend claims the police drove the vehicle, meaning it had all essential parts in place for vehicle to run. Police deny, saying we're returning vehicle in the condition it was found .
akshye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:50   #27
BHPian

Many years ago i was robbed off my mobile phone while walking by couple of youths. Those days there was insurance on Mobile phones. The procedure was to get an FIR filed in the local police station and then give it to the company. Knowing the local language and a constable there personally, I told the writer in the police station the whole story. He wanted Rs.200/- to write the story (FIR). We had a good chat and on Day 2 he invited me to a party (Saturday night) that they all have on the 1st floor of the Police station (just imagine!! ). I politely declined stating i am busy.
Just then a techie (North Indian) came there to lodge a complaint of similar nature (Mobile theft). The guy was a bit rude/aggressive and obviously did not know the local language. Now the fun begins: The writer told me..This guy thinks he is too smart, i am going to draft an FIR in such a way that it will look like it is completely his fault (phone owners) due to carelessness/negligence and he will get nothing as compensation.
The techie guy collected his FIR and went his way without any inkling as to what had happened (The FIR was written in Kannada). This is how our cops operate.
car love is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
The techie guy collected his FIR and went his way without any inkling as to what had happened (The FIR was written in Kannada). This is how our cops operate.
But how do you expect them to operate when treated rudely? OK he needn't ask for a bribe but other than that ..

If you live in a city it is only polite to make some effort to learn the local language instead of stick to your own language and expect that everybody will understand you.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:37   #29
BHPian

The system is corrupt and inefficient to the core. let me narrate an incident which happened 5 years back.
Five of us friends were returning from a trip to Madikeri and were on the way to Bangalore. We stopped our yellow-colored Zen on the main road at Kamat lokaruchi restaurant, 50 km from Bangalore. This restaurant is very popular on the stretch. Being a Sunday the parking stretched quite a bit and we had to park a bit far away.
We went in had coffee and were back in 20 minutes to find our car missing. We were shell shocked, we just couldn't believe that a car could be stolen in daylight from such a busy place. Now the ordeal begins.
5:30 PM - We call the number 100 to report to the police.
They give the local police station number and ask us to contact them.
5:35 PM - Local police station asks us to come to the station
5:45 PM - We find a traffic police car on the way and tell the story.
Our expectation: Guys get on to the car lets chase them
Actual reply: Go and complain in the police station
6 PM - We reach the police station and they check if we were drunk and ask to wait for the senior officer
6:20 PM - Based on the area for theft they ask up to go to the rural police station which is next to the main police station
6:40 PM - An officer comes and takes the information. We inform them that we had our mobile phones in the car and asked them to track them.
7:30 PM: The officer tells that the mobiles are on the move and the signal is showing that of pandavapura 50 Kms from the place it was stolen.
8-9:30 Pm After pestering them repeatedly, they update us about the movement of the car but don't do anything about it.
Finally, the mobiles are switched off at 10 PM near periapatna.

The next day the police demanded money to try and find the car. We asked them to find it first so that we can pay. Every year they call us to the station, ask questions demand money, and make us spend the entire day there. That was a day I personally lost all my hope about the system.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 5th January 2021 at 19:01.
sunilg33 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 19:10   #30
BHPian

Few years back when my friend went to police station to lodge a complaint for his lost mobile phone, the cop who was attending straight away told him, "The guy next to you has lost his Scorpio and we don't expect to find it, so how are you expecting us to find your mobile phone?"

All this was done to discourage my friend to file a complaint, otherwise cops have to spend their extremely valuable time looking for a mobile phone.

A cop using a WagonR which was reportedly stolen doesn't even surprise me anymore.
DrCar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks