Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

UP cop found using stolen car

A WagonR was stolen two years back and the car owner got a feedback call from a Maruti ASS in a nearby city saying it had been left for service by the inspector of a local station.

The car had apparently been recovered from the thieves but the inspector began using it as his personal ride.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/luckn...RUxD4ZmXL.html
hserus is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: UP cop found using stolen car

How do such officers get to sleep in the night? How do they outgrow guilt?

The bigger problem now is that the police brass will work overtime to somehow shut out this case and be after the actual car owner to remain mum. This will be followed by a grand ‘handing over’ ceremony of the car to the actual owner and everyone gets on with life.

I do wish the enquiry is strict and appropriate penal actions done to all those who conspired.
jkrishnakj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I do wish the enquiry is strict and appropriate penal actions done to all those who conspired.
It is not unlikely that the cop actually paid a car theft gang to steal a Wagon R for him, given the sort of corruption rife in the junior ranks of our police force.

If so even the thieves will go scot free.
hserus is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Several years ago, a friend lost his laptop from his house in Bangalore. He (a UP guy) went along with a local friend (to diminish the language barrier) and promptly lodged a complaint. Because the local friend's family was known in the area, the complaint was actually lodged. Fast forward several months, they got a call saying several laptops had been recovered from a thief and they should drop by to check if his is one of them.

Sure enough it was. This is where the fun begins. Recovering a stolen item doesn't mean the owner gets it back. First, you prove it is yours. Simple enough because the friend could log-in and show personal docs. Not exactly. You have to go to court, stand in front of a judge to do so. For that, you need to hire a lawyer. Then, get the court attendant to ensure your case gets heard quickly. You also need to motivate the cops enough to ensure they file the paperwork and start the process of handing the item back.

Eventually, my friend thought it best to let it go and forfeit the laptop. Just as one of the cops had promised my friend during a heated conversation, they made it nothing sort of painful misery for my friend to even attempt getting his laptop back. During one of his visits to the station, the cops also boasted about their basement parking full of recovered bikes that had been gathering dust for months, if not years. Surely, most of their rightful owners would rather have them back.

We were told this is standard operating procedure.

So, this case is absolutely not surprising.
libranof1987 is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

This has actually happened with my brother's friend. His Safari was stolen.

Several years later, he was making a visit to one of the rural police stations in Ghaziabad and there it was.

One of the local cops had been using it. They had recovered the car but never reported it.

Fortunately, for him, he had good 'connections', so he managed to get it back.
ashutoshb is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A WagonR was stolen two years back and the car owner got a feedback call from a Maruti ASS in a nearby city saying it had been left for service by the inspector of a local station.

What would happen if one quietly track the car based on this information, steal it back when parked in a public area, then go back to the jurisdiction where the car was stolen and withdraw the case?

Back in 1995, my mothers van got stolen, got used in a hit and run. Luckily, we had the FIR to absolve us of this. Cut to 1996, cops from another police station appear claiming that the van had been found.

It had been found some time back and the cops were using it until a new sub-inspector demanded that the owner be traced and venhicle returned, they traced my mother through the chassis number via Maruti (RTO would have been useless.). They should have just followed up my wedding invitation left in the van and sitting on the cops desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sure enough it was. This is where the fun begins. Recovering a stolen item doesn't mean the owner gets it back. First, you prove it is yours. Simple enough because the friend could log-in and show personal docs.
That part was easy, it meant first getting the van transferred to the jurisdiction where van was stolen. Cops wanted their cut, more so as thry saw the place where my mother resides.

And then the court case against an unknown person. My mother had to give a surety against a fixed asset. We paid someone to help resolve this and get the van back.

Van returns battered, rusty, without a battery and bad tyres. I get it mechanically sorted. As I sold my chronically unreliable Tata Sierra in a fit, I started using this heap. I decide to travel. My mother lends it to some friend who was visiting from outside, She parks it outside wherever she was staying and ...it gets stolen.

My mother gave this lady the papers and tells her to register the FIR etc. This time we did not want it back and it never reappeared.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd January 2021 at 14:47. Reason: edited
ajmat is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Have you seen the cars and bikes seized by cops after few days? It will be standing on bare skeleton. These examples are outside every police station. So if a cop is hand in glove, I wont be shocked
Quote:
It is not unlikely that the cop actually paid a car theft gang to steal a Wagon R for him, given the sort of corruption rife in the junior ranks of our police force. If so even the thieves will go scot free.
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:

The car had apparently been recovered from the thieves but the inspector began using it as his personal ride.
Now makes you wonder who the real criminals are. Level of corruption is just appalling.

Quote:
Several years ago, a friend lost his laptop from his house in Bangalore. He (a UP guy) went along with a local friend (to diminish the language barrier) and promptly lodged a complaint. Because the local friend's family was known in the area, the complaint was actually lodged. Fast forward several months, they got a call saying several laptops had been recovered from a thief and they should drop by to check if his is one of them.
Makes one think if it is easier to pay off the theif and get the vehicle back (if possible) rather than go through all these hassles.

So much for the long arms of justice.
SideView is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Have you seen the cars and bikes seized by cops after few days? It will be standing on bare skeleton. These examples are outside every police station. So if a cop is hand in glove, I wont be shocked
My previous Scorpio was stolen in Chennai in late 2018 and found by the cops at some small village near Chittorgarh in Rajasthan in early 2020

See the before and after photos

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4729652 (The "Car / Bike got stolen" Thread)

I didn’t have to initiate any recovery proceedings because I had already claimed insurance money and so after I gave a statement to the Chittorgarh police at their station and left copies of my FIR, I passed the details to my insurer and left them to do what they could with it.
hserus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sure enough it was. This is where the fun begins. Recovering a stolen item doesn't mean the owner gets it back. First, you prove it is yours. Simple enough because the friend could log-in and show personal docs. Not exactly. You have to go to court, stand in front of a judge to do so. For that, you need to hire a lawyer. Then, get the court attendant to ensure your case gets heard quickly. You also need to motivate the cops enough to ensure they file the paperwork and start the process of handing the item back.

So, this case is absolutely not surprising.
Forget UP, this happened to my brother in Bandra!

His laptop bag got stolen from Juhu Beach. He promptly lodged a complaint at Bandra Police Station and lo, behold they found it the next day! He was asked to come to the station and identify it. He suspected that the local "lifters" and the cops knew each other very well.

After that came the days of doing rounds in courts to prove that it is his, paying for a lawyer, pleading with the judge that he was leaving the city soon (He actually had an air-ticket) and that the laptop contained sensitive information. He eventually managed to get it back a week or two after it was found after doing the rounds of courts and police station.
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Related, but slightly different story that happened more than a decade back.

A college mate was posted as Sub Inspector in one of the prominent stations of Bengaluru. One day, he was suspended from service for professional misdemeanor. Upon a little probing, I found out that he was intercepted by the cops of a neighbouring Police Station while riding a stolen bike; the icing on the cake was that bike thief himself was the pillion and (hold your breath) was carrying the Sub Inspector's service revolver on his person.

(Not sure whether the news was picked up by the mainstream media. Can't seem to find any links.)
dailydriver is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:26   #12
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Upon a little probing, I found out that he was intercepted by the cops of a neighbouring Police Station while riding a stolen bike; the icing on the cake was that bike thief himself was the pillion and (hold your breath) was carrying the Sub Inspector's service revolver on his person.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while . Probably flag bearer for "This happens only in India"
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

If folks here are thinking the Indian police forces are backward and behind developed nations, we are. But not in the way you are thinking.

The americans have institutionalized this - It's called asset forfeiture. They can stop a car in public, take the car and any cash you may have with you, and use it for themselves - legally.
greenhorn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:52   #14
BHPian

One of my staff’s 2 wheeler was stolen very recently from a beach. He lodged a complaint at the police station in the jurisdiction where it was lost. It was not a FIR, but they took a complaint. That 2 wheeler was recovered in a different jurisdiction, the owner was called and the vehicle was handed over with a small(couple of thousands) under the table transaction. No court case or any other formality.
Old 3rd January 2021, 01:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamcarFerrari View Post
One of my staff’s 2 wheeler was stolen very recently from a beach. He lodged a complaint at the police station in the jurisdiction where it was lost. It was not a FIR, but they took a complaint. That 2 wheeler was recovered in a different jurisdiction, the owner was called and the vehicle was handed over with a small(couple of thousands) under the table transaction. No court case or any other formality.
One should never do that. Just imagine if a crime was committed by thieves using that two wheeler.
fazayal is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks