Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 18:17   #16
BHPian

re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

RIP to departed soul. Wish this doesn't happen to anyone. One should keep his / her eyes on the road as well and consider GMap as an additional support, esp. in unknown terrain.

On a related note, I am seeing how all of us (including myself) are becoming over reliant on G-Maps. I remember during the 90's and 2000's, I used to remember the roads and entire travel path by making a mental note of some markings / hoardings / buildings etc. and follow the same path again and again (even while returning). With this, the routes would get engraved in our heads without the use of any technology.
With Google maps, we have started relying on it more and more (also to monitor traffic situation) even while travelling on known routes. Though, it certainly has its advantages, subconsciously we are allowing ourselves to follow what G-Map algorithm is asking us to and have stopped using our heads and considering it to be the eternal truth. This 100% dependency on tech does take a toll when we land up in some area without an internet coverage. (I am deliberately not bringing the privacy aspect where Google is tracking all of our moves, timeline, locations and time spent).

Hope all of us take a lesson out of this unfortunate incident and apply our eyes and judgement in parallel with the technology.
ShankarG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:31   #17

re: Man drives onto submerged bridge after following Google Maps, drowns to death

RIP! Very unfortunate.
Sadly, I am an addict of Google Maps. Had my proud moments of navigating well in unknown territories.
Two things to keep in mind going ahead with map based Navigation in India
    • Not all routes suggested are perfect. The algorithm is purely based on traffic conditions and minimal route information with Google (last updated)
    • Services can be disrupted and can leave you in middle of nowhere. This problem i faced a couple of times within the city limits a well
sirilu1318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Google maps is very erratic when it comes to roads less travelled. I have often taken small roads and detours entirely because the Google Maps so suggested.

Coming back to the incident, travelling in an unknown and possibly treacherous territory at an unearthly hour is a strict no no, whether one has Google Maps or not.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

The authorities of the Dam should have ensured a road block assurance. The local administration responsible for the roads are clearly at fault here. What does it take to barricade it and put out a sign of a diversion !

Gosh! How all does one lose lives here.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't the road be blocked if its submerged ? Hope someone from PWD is mentioned in a FIR.
Also, just because google showed you the way, how can you just drive into the water ?
Very sad to hear to these really freak ways of losing ones life. But PWD is responsible for this.

Last edited by srishiva : 12th January 2021 at 19:15.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:40   #21
J4J
BHPian

Since driver was driving, fault is with the driver.

However, this made me think, "would we would have said the same if this was an auto pilot driving the car following the maps?"
Though automation is not 100% complete but will it ever be?(both the map and the software following it)

Who will take responsibility in such cases as while agreeing to the terms and conditions, we agree that the company will not be responsible for any damages.

This is the exact reason I think that AI/automation will never be 100% available for automobiles ateast in the next 50 years.

Last edited by J4J : 12th January 2021 at 19:47.
J4J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:55   #22
BHPian

Here's another example of poor Google Maps routing.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/19...m1!3e0!5m1!1e1

No there's no bridge over the water.

It's a bit contrived, but demonstrates the problem.
Old 12th January 2021, 22:38   #23
BHPian

It's true, we should never blindly trust web maps.
We were almost stranded in the middle of nowhere because we kept on following what was once a road. It was night, the "road" was super muddy, got our FWD car on street tyres stuck multiple times.
At one point it was impossible to go further or even turn back because the road was so bad. But fortunately, we managed to turn back and get out of that muddy mess, although the car wasn't very happy after all the stalling and struggling to find traction.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

In 2017, we were depending on Google Maps to find our hotel in Karol Bagh, Delhi and it took us through very narrow bylanes with barricades and choc-o-bloc pedestrian movement and traffic. It was a real pain but we finally made it. The next morning, we venture out and figure out that the hotel was right adjacent to the Karol Bagh Metro, which was a main road.

In 2015, we had HV Kumar guiding us through our cross-country trip and at least thrice we lost touch with him and Google misdirected us, delaying our journey.considerably.

There's a road that's still marked inside Walayar Dam that hasn't been in use for more than a decade. Thankfully it doesn't come up now as a suggestion.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 07:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

My takeaways from this are as follows:

1. Google maps is a good guidance but one must be alert while on a drive to ensure one is on the right route.

2. In the middle of the night with low visibility to enter any water body is ridiculous. They should have abstained at the first sight of water.

3. This is all about Administrative failure to me - typical of our country. Any bridge that is usable 8 months of the year and submerged for 4 MUST have robust barricades that completely prevent any people or vehicles from entering. Signs AND barricades - both. Neither of these seem to be present. Definitely not barricades. To me this is completely administrative machinery failure and squarely to be blamed for this incident.

4. If you are going to an adventurous location in the middle of the night, then you damn well know a little better what you are doing. These Johnnies did seem underprepared for this adventure and that is unfortunate. This means checking maps in advance, speaking to people who have gone there recently or are well familiar, plotting a proper google maps route in advance based on above inquiries; downloading maps in offline mode - etc etc.

Even when we do well known routes like Bombay / Pune - Goa for instance, people here make so many inquiries on road conditions, route suggestions etc. Not just blindly follow google maps. When I rode to Hampi last December, there were two clear possible options - one via Solapur and one Via Kolhapur. I made due inquiries with “bike riders” on the best way to do the route.

These are just general observations. I think Google maps would do well to improve but ultimately it is only as good and as current as user updates make it I suppose.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 08:55   #26
BHPian

Sad incident indeed !

Everyone can blame Google Maps or govt authorities for this incident but actually the biggest reason is lack of common sense of driver.

You never venture into waters even if you have a Fortuner.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 08:59   #27
BHPian

Sad about the lives lost.

We've covered in depth on the do's and don'ts of using the map, however one important point that I think we missed out here is Google Maps accepts user contributions in various forms. Being a regular contributor, I know they make sure that every useful suggestion is reviewed and incorporated ASAP. It's not flawless by any measure, and sometimes incorrect stuff get added. State/property authorities are at fault here, but I wish someone had marked that road as closed in google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
Here's another example of poor Google Maps routing...
No there's no bridge over the water...
Just give a the feedback to google, marking the road as closed/incorrect

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 13th January 2021 at 09:06.
xjosephjacob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nearly happened to me once.

July 2015 - around 8pm at night: I was driving with family and we were following a GMaps to a Marraige hall near Trichy. We ended up on a deserted road and dad asked me to slow down as he wanted to ask for directions from someone. There wasn't a single soul in sight nor any street light. The road ended abruptly and the there was a huge tank (something similar to an artificial pond.) Had I driven faster, we'd had a close shave if not driven into the tank.

Moral of the story: Be careful while using google maps to an unknown destination. Rely on instinct & local intelligence.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:29   #29
BHPian

This event only highlights the problems of distraction. While driving on the road, the focus has to be on the road and not the maps. They have to be an occasional glance for a "guidance". More and more people (including uber/ola fellows) are focussing on the gadgets rather than road. Adding to the fire are the large tab like screens etc being provided in new cars. The challange with such large screens is that a- it is distracting b- it emits a bright light which in some cases will obstruct the outside visibility when it's utterly dark outside, and c when the screen is on, even the black emits a some light. It is not pixel off scenario which renders it 0 light emission.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:40   #30
BHPian

While Google Maps has its misses (and believe me, I have been in a situation where it has led me to a road too dangerous to drive), I can't find much fault in them here. In fact, this was actually a road which goes under water for 4 months. It is very difficult for Maps to track every local details in every corner of the world. If it was a road which goes under water, the same should have been blocked and proper signage given to direct drivers.
RIP.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed