Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Re: What I love about driving in India

Few points I can quickly recall
• Roadside stopping wherever I feel like unless I am on some express highway. We don’t get to do that in many countries.
• Freedom to drive at 70kmph on slow lane on a 120kmph limited highway. Outside of India, I have even been honked for doing 115kmph (5kmph less than speed limit) on slow lane and for driving at speed limit on fast lane. +5 to 7kmph from speed limit is followed by many and you will end of being an inconvenience for others if you drive on fast lane at designated speed limit.
• Don’t have to panic every time I see water on the road wondering if it is water or ice.
• Occasional late night/early morning speeding.
• Need not worry much about speed limits. I don’t think anyone (including police) really cares if you drive at 70kmph on a 60kmph limited road.
jagdish_ker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread, Thanks a lot

My one word answer : Freedom.
On my motorcycle, on our highways, is what my understanding of freedom is, of course with due regards to safety for everyone.
My observations are mainly from the visor of a motorcycle helmet, so I am lucky enough to feel the mornings even better than fellow BHPians behind a windscreen.

Agree with the other members that driving overseas(UAE in my case, except the northern mountain roads) is boring, they look the same. They've excellent infrastructure, support and policing but seemed boring to me.

Every time I go on a trip I am always in awe with what our country has to offer and I haven't even headed up North yet, I can only imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Lovely 2 lane countryside roads
2 lanes of black-top meandering through the countryside. Every single inch of highway in India has it's completely unique identity. This makes the scenery more interesting, and more memorable too.

Familiar highway sounds
Like that distant soft hum of a lorry's tyres on a stretch of tarmac. If you know what I'm talking about, just the thought of that sound has probably transported you to the side of a highway somewhere. Sounds can be entertaining too, like when your ears perk up to the possibility of being overtaken by a supercar only to find out it's a petrol econo-hatch with a broken silencer!
Highway sounds : Wow those words are brilliant. I could immediately hear that sound but the sound of an Innova tearing through the road follows soon after . That sports car has almost always turned out to be an M800 or sometimes an Omni for me.
Lovely 2 lane countryside roads : My favorite roads, they give the freedom to ride along at a comfortable pace, soaking in the countryside without someone honking. Surface comes secondary but the memories are always fresh.
There is something for everyone.

Leaving with a few memories from my earlier trips. They are years ago and apart but even today I remember the smells, sounds and feel when the pic was taken.

Intoxicating Purity : (ignore the mirror, broke the previous day, was fixed a few hours later)
What I love about driving in India-pshpg_rtr.jpg

Morning Memories :
What I love about driving in India-bhdr_rtr.jpg

Cloud Play :
What I love about driving in India-swrp_clf_rtr.jpg

Afternoon Visuals :
What I love about driving in India-as_hml.jpg

Meditation :
What I love about driving in India-ar_hml.jpg

Life Lessons :
What I love about driving in India-ar_hml_rgh.jpg

Happy Motoring :
What I love about driving in India-ar_ps_road.jpg

Last edited by shancz : 12th February 2021 at 15:07. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:04   #33
BHPian

Every kilometer has a story to tell and every time we pass through the same road, there is a change. That's how I'd sum up driving in India.

I do love driving and riding a lot so much that I've covered up close to 2-2.5 lakh driving and riding across the country from the time I got my license in 2014. The best part is that the rural or regional folk are always ready to help despite the linguistic differences or cultural differences.

If you love food , that's another reason to go for a long ride or a drive. I've driven 300km just for a biryani or to eat parotta and beef when I feel like(people call me crazy but that's what I like and I don't regret it). The memories and the experiences are what we can cherish for a lifetime.

As everyone else mentioned, early morning or late night drives are the most mind soothing ones but we gotta be on our guard at the same time.

These pics sum up the variety what our country has to offer. From hills to beach side cliffs and what not!

What I love about driving in India-img_20201231_17260802.jpeg

What I love about driving in India-img_20200126_18345001.jpeg

What I love about driving in India-img_20191010_08354401.jpeg
jithin23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:52   #34
BHPian

While even our National Highways with dividers are a lot of fun, the real stuff starts when you get on to the State Highways or the National Highways without dividers. Driving is then more of skill than speed and snooze fest. There's so much of variety on offer, and one tends to soak it all in with slightly lesser speeds. Anyone who has driven on the old Goa highway (before the modernisation of it set in) - NH66 - which stretches all the way into Kerala, would know...
SouravS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:13   #35
BHPian

Excellent thread idea, I support all of the above factors so not repeating them. Adding one more, the abundance of skilled car mechanics who provide excellent service at a very nominal cost, reduce risks owing to car breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

My previously owned Hyundai Getz Prime once had a power window issue at a remote place (Swarupnagar near Bangladesh border) where I had gone to attend a marriage ceremony of a friend. The window glass pane of the front passenger power window would not roll up all of a sudden. We had plans for a over night stay and the car would be parked outside in an open unsecured place.

Hyundai roadside assistance confirmed no immediate support availability in that area and my regular HASS Service Advisor told me to find a local mechanic and he will give instruction on video call if required. So started roaming in nearby garrages. After a few refusals from mini truck repairers finally found a place where few Maruti Omni's were getting fitted with LPG kits.

The guy instantly gave a nod and while I was planning to call up the service advisor from Hyundai ASS for giving him instructions of do and donts he had already dismantled the internal panels in the exact right way, as if he knew where to look for. In not more than 20 minutes he opened up the internal, showed me the wire system has broken (lasting for 12 years) and only in Kolkata a spare would be available, rolled up the window manually, sealed with few rubber blocks and perfectly put things back like it was before. Charges? He demanded 20 rupees, I thought for 15 seconds if a zero was missing but eventually gave him 40 rupees and left wondering what great skills and cost effective workers our country produces.

What I love about driving in India-brht4a.jpg
Image Source

Last edited by haisaikat : 12th February 2021 at 17:22.
haisaikat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:20   #36
BHPian

Lovely thread blackwasp!

You can take the same route here different times and each time the drive/ride experience would be different.

I remember my first trip to UK and was so excited to drive. But within an hour, felt so bored and sleepy that I handed over the driving duties to my friend.

The roadside shops here, the hot cup of chai (pre Covid times) and the conversations with strangers you strike up. More than that the freedom to stop anywhere by the road side (parked safely) and soak in the moment. I miss all that. Hopefully we should be back to this soon.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:34   #37
BHPian

Great thread!

Spent around 4 years living outside India, and the thing I missed the most was driving in India. Although I bought myself a pre-worshipped BMW Z3 with the M sports kit, I still didn't feel the sheer pleasure of criss-crossing around India.

The massive 8 lane highways abroad are literally a snooze fest. It's not engaging enough for me, and, rather boring. The roads abroad don't make stories. What suits me is the entropy of our very own Indian roads. Every single roadtrips always gives you moments that you cherish for a lifetime and stories to share with your peers.

If time isn't an issue, I usually pick the 2-lane highways than the newly made 4 lane highways in India. The experience is just so much more rewarding.
nutcracker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, I just love to drive on Indian roads.

It's kind of watching a movie(not a boring one). Full of uncertainty, keep things thrilling and the entertainment is on!

You never know, what's next!

You never know, what's awaiting at the next hairpin bend!

You never know, when it will snow and you will get the road all for yourself!

You never know, when you will get miles after miles of flat road at an altitude of 15,000 feet!

You never know, when a 800 meter stretch will cost you an hour to come out!

You never know, when you need to go on the rocks with a sedan!

If you love diversity, you will love driving in India!

Last edited by Samba : 12th February 2021 at 19:42.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:47   #39
BHPian

Excellent thread and as most of others pointed out, the helping hands of our local public is one of the most important aspect of our roads.

Once during 2012, when the GPS tech was in its nascent stage, we, a group of 4, lost somewhere near Bodi while coming from Munnar towards Chennai. And this was around 9 PM in the night and with only one of the headlights of our ride, a Swift, driven by my friend - the other one was shot while coming down the hills from Munnar. The Google Maps couldn't say where we are, and as a God-sent, one of the locals came to our rescue. He asked us to follow him for approx. 9 Kms and lead us back to the main road towards Theni, and we can't thank him enough.

The other attribute which I like about driving in our roads is the variety of road one encounters, ranging from a arrow straight 6 lane roads to the winding roads of a countryside to a challenging 2-lane state highways, which will make sure the driving was never monotonous.

Finally, having a hot piping tea from the road side stalls during the early morning hours while embarking on a long trip - one of the main reasons I start the journey by 4 AM in the early morning, just to enjoy those teas.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:16   #40
BHPian

Driving in India provides lot of experiences. The more you drive/ride, the more you start appreciating how beautiful India and Indian roads are.

What I love about driving in India-sam_0870.jpg

What I love about driving in India-img_20141221_112158.jpg

What I love about driving in India-dscn2626.jpg

What I love about driving in India-more-plains.jpg

What I love about driving in India-img_8631.jpg

What I love about driving in India-20131230_170142.jpg

What I love about driving in India-604143_559819634034055_1534002862_n.jpg

What I love about driving in India-_dsc3662.jpg

What I love about driving in India-_dsc3558.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th February 2021 at 15:51. Reason: Images replaced
Kashi053 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:44   #41
BHPian

Members have nicely conveyed different points. As the title of this thread says:

What I love about driving in "India"

It's because it's our own country, and we are extremely comfortable with that - after all, we're among our own people, folks! It's because we're confident that whatever unpleasant situation crops up during the journey, we are more than reasonably confident that we can handle it. Even if you're stranded in a small town due to unforseen circumstances, and hotels are full, you have the confidence to somehow manage something. There's good chance of support from friends/relatives in case of unforeseen circumstances. You're confident that you can strike a personal rapport with people. You never have to worry about stuff other than your car, bookings, and the drive itself! And, that peace of mind is something that is probably priceless.

Having driven in the US and UK, it's always been a tiring preparation and endless checklists. You always end up looking over your shoulder, whether you offended someone, or made a cultural driving blunder, or broken some law that you're unaware of. You're always on the defensive in a foreign country.

This is my personal opinion, sorry if people disagree. All this may not hold true for people who are living in those countries for a long time!

Last edited by PearlJam : 12th February 2021 at 21:49.
PearlJam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 22:40   #42
BHPian

My Roads are predominantly Indian! Though I travel a lot to Europe and the US, I never laid my hands on the steering of any car there :( My family had strictly prohibited me from driving on my business trips, mainly because I do not stay there for long and I travel alone. So that leaves me with only the taste of the INDIAN ROADS!

After I started using my car predominantly for traveling, I have become more patient; learning to wait in heavy traffic. Though I travel mostly on the highways, driving in my city during peak hours; I still cherish it

I stay less than 500m from the busy Grand Northern Trunk Highway, The early morning music will the hissing sound of the tires and musical horns of the trucks.

I always say to my friends - If you learned to drive on the Indian roads, you can drive anywhere in the world!

I love driving; I love driving on Indian roads
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:08   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Chaos! The lack of discipline and total disorderliness I find that very interesting.

The challenge of dealing with all that circus that happens on our road and yet arrive at the destination in one piece and on time is indeed something I look forward to,not to mention the sights, sound, smell and nice food and tea along the way, sometimes the journey itself is just to have lunch. I haven't been out of this country, I just don't think I can see it all in my lifetime.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 06:06   #44
BHPian

A very interesting thread and thanks for initiating this. I totally agree, we might not have most of our roads by international standard but the landscape and changing vistas after every few km make it beautiful. I usually get bored when drive from Delhi to Lucknow on Yamuna and Agra expressways but I soon as I cross Lucknow towards my hometown (another 200 km) on two lane state highway the driving becomes lively and demand a very strong Espresso
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:19   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

The same conditions that make us rant in an another thread makes us love in another.

Things that come to my mind

Freedom (or say the blatant disregard for rules)
The same laxity that allows idiots to go the wrong side of the highway or jaywalk across it, allows us to either super-hypermile in the slow lane or set a limca record for shortest time for a cross country run.
As long as it isn't dangerous, a little bit of freedom is okay for our social conditions.
For example: I believe everyone would be happy to stick to the speed limits if everyone else does, there is a free flow of traffic, lane manners.
But when you have to battle everything from two wheelers to 18 wheelers and everything in between, 2 legs to 4 legs, varied surface conditions and once you reach an open stretch of road to just let it go, and get a ticket for 90 km/h, you will be naturally frustrated.

Like @blackwasp has said. 100% concentration required.
Unlike in developed world roads, where you can take your eyes off to see a hoarding, have a drink or even a bite, fiddle with the infotainment.
In India, once am strapped in. I am in war alert.
Never take my eyes off the road lest I rear-end someone or wipe out a family in a motorcycle.
Ofcourse I am exaggerating, but get my drift.
Reason why I hate touchscreen controls in cars.

Dynamic in nature
Picture yourself driving in a place with good infra and traffic manners.
Take your car out.
Waiting at the signal with the indicators ticking.
Lights turn green, you take a right hand turn, the steering wheel rubbing against your hand as the wheel turns back to position. You accelerate to keep up with traffic.
Indicators On again to change lanes. Get into an entry ramp, accelerate hard to get to highway speeds.
Settle there till your exit comes.

Now picture the same journey in India.

Vehicle capabilities
Not sure of the heading above, but what I meant was an average small hatchback in India will see more action in its lifetime than an average sportscar or off-road SUV in an OECD nation.

Nuances in reviewing
How the clutch feels, gearshift feels, low end performance, high end performance, torque curve/spread, engine tractability, NVH across speeds and engine RPMs, how the horn sounds, the headlights at night, primary ride, secondary ride, performance of suspension on broken roads/potholed roads/undulating road/low speed/city speed/highway speeds, how mid corner bumps are taken, suspension nature at full load/half load/driver only.

Am aware that full blown TeamBHP official reviews have spoiled us and also the numerous YouTube videos.

But the thing is, if unless something really stands out or they are reviewing a performance model, most of the international reviews only talk about 0-60/100, the NVH, how it gets to highway/freeway/motorway speeds and if the ride is soft or harsh.
Too much generalisation? Yes.
Wait, I did go off topic.

About driving in India.
Well, I could point my car at some beautiful ghat roads, or a drive-thru beach, open highways, forest roads, desert roads, salt flats, snow covered roads and am not even talking about places accessible by 4x4s.

Perks of living in a large nation.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks