Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2007, 01:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

So called Spirit of Mumbai, where?

Was driving back from the warehouse this evening, when i saw a stalled santro in the middle of the road.

A middle aged lady was trying to push the car, with her husband and trying to steer the car to a side. I'm assuming the lady did not know how to drive, or atleast wasn't comfortable with the steering in a busy metropolitan street (later found out they were from nasik).

What i found digusting was that not a soul would try and help, where is that spirit of mumbai that the media kept on harping about post bomb blasts last year, it was probably mandatory to be at work then, spirit et all was all bull.

Anyways, parked the car on a side, and assisted to get the car alongside the pavement, now through the spirit of mumbai annoyed me further with their honking directed towards the santro, like how stupid can you get, the car is stalled, we are trying to get it out of the way, we don't enjoy messing the car up on busy roads

I have been assisted in the past by people around, and have seen people help too, but seriously we're talking bandra, S.V. Road 9.15 pm, mostly Educated people getting back from work.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 15th May 2007 at 01:01.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:06   #2
BANNED

Hmmm.... Not just Mumbai, in most cities it is just same. People honking at stalled cars are one of the most irritating part. I agree.

I'm suprised to hear this about Mumbai.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:15   #3
BHPian

Answer was within your post, why there were no help offered to them....

""I have been assisted in the past by people around, and have seen people help too, but seriously we're talking bandra, S.V. Road 9.15 pm, mostly Educated people getting back from work.""

I have seen, whenever there is an accident or incidents as seen by you, office goers, so called educated people hardly comeforward.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
where is that spirit of mumbai that the media kept on harping about post bomb blasts last year, it was probably mandatory to be at work then, spirit et all was all bull.
we've all noticed a similar decline in the helpful "spirit of Mumbai" - moreso within the last decade.
increasing stress levels due to a variety of factors (cost of living, inhumane living conditions, pollution levels, horrible traffic, just to name a few) - all of these add up exponentialy and has turned life into mere existence for the common man.

compassion is nearly non-existant. survival of the fittest - that's what defines rules in this concrete jungle!

fortunately for all, the spirit isn't completely extinguished - it's merely operating on fumes now....

Last edited by aah78 : 15th May 2007 at 01:27.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

This thread should be renamed Spirit Of India instead.. This is the same story everywhere.. People are so busy in their own little world that revolves around work and house issues that they maybe dont realise and just pass a scene like this without bothering too much...

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 02:30   #6
BHPian

Read this...
It is around 8:00 PM on a wednesday evening... bangalore is inching home and I turn from Hosur rd to Bannerghatta road (People in bangalore will know this infamous place with marble n granite stores)and see a traffic jam in front of me. I curse and stayon hoping it will clear up. Traffic inches and the road turns to the left slightly (along the cemetery) and I see a brand new (plastic covers still on the seat) santro parked almost to the center of the road with four people sitting inside. The driver was a lady and everyone on the street was yelling at her and she was yelling back at them. When I reached this car, I realized that it had a flat tyre, so I stuck my head out and asked her why she can't move and park the car to one side. She said she was not supposed to do that coz it was a brand new car and moving the car with a flat tyre could spoil the tyre and also the car. She said she has called for help and will wait till it arrives. What do you say guys.. people willing to help her, but this lady is adamant and does not want to move!!! It was horrible and people will using some really nasty words... don't blame junta!
Old 15th May 2007, 02:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
spirit et all was all bull.
well sorry to break your heart manson but its pretty much the same lackadaisical attitude across our land.
utter "we dont give a **** " apathy!

the important thing is you didnt turn a blind eye.let me assure you a lot more others wouldnt have either.

its for us to make a change.hang in there.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
people willing to help her, but this lady is adamant and does not want to move!!! It was horrible and people will using some really nasty words... don't blame junta!
We never said that there are no exceptions did we.. I agree that there are people like this...but are we going to use this as an excuse for not helping out..???

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 03:17   #9
BHPian

Nope I was just relating an incident and not making any judgement. I've seen situations where people come forward and don't come forward.
Old 15th May 2007, 16:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well the other day Stumpy and me were pushing a vehicle in front of Shell, Lavelle Rd. Some idiot driver in a Civic kept honking, so I stopped and shouted at him. Then I gave his memsaab a mouthful as well. Stupid educated people, can't think or what? Then the driver came back with an I'll-fix-you-later look. As if.
Old 15th May 2007, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
W
What i found digusting was that not a soul would try and help, where is that spirit of mumbai that the media kept on harping about post bomb blasts last year, it was probably mandatory to be at work then, spirit et all was all bull.
Manson - the SPIRIT of Mumbai now only exists in the heads of some journos and the front page of newpapers

Thats a wonderful thing you did.
Old 15th May 2007, 17:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good on you manson to step forward to help. It is really the educated that do not have the courtesy. Most of us have this arrogant attitude that when a bloke's car has stalled, we think we are better drivers & honk honk like mad making that guy even more nervous. But it is small things like this that can help change that attitude. 3 cheers to you.
Old 15th May 2007, 17:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Try crossing the Varthur main road at Marathalli in Bangalore on a busy Sunday afternoon, and you would have the educated people in their cars who are out to make a saving from the factory outlets there, giving you looks which could pierce. As if they owned the road to themselves. Please note that there is no zebra crossing anywhere along this entire stretch at all and neither is this a highway of any sort. This road is like a bazaar stretch on a weekend and one cant blame the huge pedestrian traffic.
One dude on an Indica was literally cursing me and wifey who were trying to cross the road with due respect to the traffic ofcourse. Whose fault is it?

People nowadays are so engrossed in their own worlds and care a pittace about the others around them, and its not limited to Mumbai alone.
Old 15th May 2007, 17:26   #14
BHPian

Well done manson. Its people like you who this nation is counting on.

My personal opinion about the so-called "Spirit of Mumbai" or for that matter, Spirit of every city in this country is this - Post the extremely unfortunate bomb blasts in Mumbai last year, I don't think it was the "Spirit" which made people do what they did at that moment. It was nothing more than "I don't give a damn till someone close to me gets hurt" attitude. Show me one person who lost a near and dear one, who was out for work the very next day. The so called "Spirit of Mumbai" was nothing but media hype, nothing more than sheer lack of apathy for the people who were affected by this tragedy. In a nation of a billion people, I believe we hardly attach any value to a human life till the time it is one of our own. Apologies for the emotional outburst if I offended anyone..
Old 15th May 2007, 19:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

It should be self realization over spirit always. I have a request to make. Whenever you see old age people at road crossings or at some place where you see them in a difficult situation, please be courteous to stop your vehicle, get out of the car and help them.
I do this very often for old people at signal crossings. Stop my car in the middle of the road, hold their hand and help them cross. You set an example by doing this. I also annoyed a few people by blocking the road with my car when people were going around and almost over an old lady who was trying to cross the road but couldn't make it before the signal went green for traffic and got stuck amidst speeding bikes, cars and rickshaws.

Most Viewed