Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 15:13   #31
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking space is small, need advice on gate extension

In my neighbourhood, this is extremely typical, and they maintain plants on the edges to appear to promote vegetation.

Sorry Ram, but this reduces the pedestrian area and constitutes another sort of encroachment on the road.

Consider whether every home in the colony adopts the same style.

Actually, parking spaces should be integrated into the building's carpet surface.

Last edited by RGK : 11th August 2022 at 15:14.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerEphraim View Post
No offense, but I see that you have a garden outside and now your gate is protruding out on to the road. This is wrong. The space outside is to be the footpath. You are forcing people to walk on the road. You should have left enough place in your land for your car, or you should buy a car that fits the parking spot, or you should resort to roadside parking. I see this in so many houses and it is just wrong.
Roadside parking should absolutely be avoided as they create traffic issues for other road users. Parking them in the house is an absolute must to keep them safe from others and to make more space on the road for other vehicles.
yshvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:40   #33
BHPian

For 2 simple cents here.

This is a good idea and acceptable. Only if the extended parking land is your property. If not, this is an absolute violation. Period.

We may build your own roads, we may build our own garden (outside the premises) and so and so forth. But none of those belong to us. In fact, it belongs to the government. Period. We are doing it just for our convenience and nothing else. What belongs to us is only what is in the land document.

Going by our Indian builder's mentality, 99.999999% of the time, they (builders) don't spare even an inch of space during construction like this. So I recommend you double-check this.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:59   #34
BHPian

Friends its good to criticise when you find something wrong but here, there is no need as I remember from earlier posts, the pathway leading to the boundary of the house is built on the personal land not on public land.

Be careful about the awning as during storm or high winds, the angle iron has the tendency to crack. its better to roll it back during such times.

regards
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
In my neighbourhood, this is extremely typical, and they maintain plants on the edges to appear to promote vegetation.
Plantation next to boundary wall and constant watering is the single most common reason for dampness in the Wall and associated damages to the wall.
Cool soil brings in insects and rodents, while snakes reach there to feast on them.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 22:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Leaving aside the encroachment part assuming that is legal. From the photos it looks outright ugly and jugaad. Not sure if it is just for me. I guess even the looks of the beautiful house got spoiled by this gate now. Was it really worth it? Sorry, it’s just my view.

Investing on a good CCTV or some theft protection devices would have taken care of the theft issue if that was the primary aim behind this.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 02:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Why are people after OP for breaking laws that they're imagining? He's stated that it's all private land. As long as the owners of the land - the developer / landlord, other title holders using the road as access, and OP - don't object to the modifications, OP is completely in the clear legally. This is subject to various local laws - it would pass in some cities and states, but not in BLR for example.

OP - for the wall issues with parking, try the thick guard with 3M tape that is also used for babyproofing and corner guards - https://amzn.eu/d/e3AQUmu. I had previously used https://amzn.eu/d/3ITE9W8 and it works very well, though I don't see it currently available. I assume this is because it was a Chinese import that is now difficult to source.

Last edited by v1p3r : 12th August 2022 at 02:24.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:08   #38

What I am reading is proudly justifying encroachment. I understand the sentiment of caring for the car but you must find alternate places/garages to park if you have large car or buy a car that fits your parking.
allfatherodin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I'm curious to know - do these 5-foot-tall gates actually provide any additional security? A determined thief can climb over such a gate in 10 seconds, break into one's car, grab something expensive, and be gone in another minute, without the gate posing as any kind of deterrent.[/i] act as a bigger deterrent.
Even i do not understand the psychology of a gate, In my uncle's house a wayward drunk just climbed the 6 foot high gate and slept the rest of the night on his porch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
When layouts are planned, there is a rule which says how much roads/open spaces it needs to have.

We cant judge people.
There are many such rules but they are hardly followed in Hyderabad/AP/TS. When a layout is built it is advertised with many common spaces and facilities but hardly anything is made and people start building their homes. Soon those common spaces are either made into some property by the builder who retains it or sells it away. Worse sometimes those spaces are occupied by squatters or anti-social elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
For 2 simple cents here.

Going by our Indian builder's mentality, 99.999999% of the time, they (builders) don't spare even an inch of space during construction like this.
Yes they do not spare anything and also try to encroach on to public land but they always know they can buy off the planning officials. One builder friend always jokes about the rules saying it is only additional bribe/fines for him to regularize any violation.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 08:03   #40

I am hoping this is within the private land and not encroachment of the pedestrian way, this is really good idea rather than parking car outside on the road. It's a big pain for commuters when 1 side of the road is occupied by the cars parked outside their houses.
ItGuyTravel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:02   #41
BHPian

From the title, I thought there was some novel method for parking (may be a slanting floor that can fit in a 4.4m car in a 4m floor space. But turns out it is plain old usurping of public space.

We can all talk about - oh but there is hardly any pedestrians in my area. In the same breath we can also complain about 'those bikers' that ride on the foodpath.

But you bought the plot, you planned the house. You shouldn't have permission to buy the car you own now.
Naetik30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think its high time to close this thread. There are so many comments on encroachment/illegality etc. when the OP has clearly mentioned it is their land, so it is not illegal
arvind71181 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 12:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
But you bought the plot, you planned the house. You shouldn't have permission to buy the car you own now.
I think the OP has been criticized enough. While he has mentioned that he owns the land, without having any other evidence one needs to believe him.

He had bought the house already built, so he could not have planned the parking. I think this method is better than parking car on the road, which would have caused inconvenience to other road users.

This seems to be a residential area. In Bangalore, one can not use footpaths even in commercial places like Indiranagar 100 feet road, where footpaths on both sides are supposed to be about 20-25 feet wide each. In comparison it looks like a residential area with wide enough road, and extending gate is lesser evil than parking the car on road.
Old 12th August 2022, 14:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
This seems to be a residential area. In Bangalore, one can not use footpaths even in commercial places like Indiranagar 100 feet road, where footpaths on both sides are supposed to be about 20-25 feet wide each. In comparison it looks like a residential area with wide enough road, and extending gate is lesser evil than parking the car on road.

If all that it takes to regularise an encroachment is to transfer ownership of said property, I smell a tremendous opportunity here! Encroach on public land, break any number of other laws, and then when you sell the property to someone else, the new owner is completely absolved of all responsibility! - In reality, it doesn't work that way. When you acquire an asset, you acquire any liabilities that come with it...

To your second point, I'm not sure we can so easily decide which is the lesser evil - illegally extending your property's boundaries v/s parking your car on the public road. Parking on the road is at least covered by parking laws, timings, fines for violations etc., whereas encroaching on public property is plain illegal, though we cannot know for a fact if that's what the OP has done here.

Leaving all the legalese aside however, even from an aesthetics and economics standpoint, this awkward gate construction doesn't make any sense to me. Is the cost of constructing the gate, the added effort in manually operating this complex structure and most importantly the negative visual impact it has on your home worth the "peace of mind" of partially protecting a depreciating asset that's anyway covered by insurance?

Well to each his own, I guess!
vijaysrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:50   #45
BHPian

Looks like a clear cut encroachment onto public space. Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I think its high time to close this thread. There are so many comments on encroachment/illegality etc. when the OP has clearly mentioned it is their land, so it is not illegal
Looks like images spoke a wee bit louder than clear words spoken. And yes agree, seems it would be better if this thread is closed.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th August 2022 at 04:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks