Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 04:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Common?

I have to appreciate Indian subtlety. In North America you stop for a stop light and two guys appear from nowhere, point their 9mm automatic pistols at your head, invite you to exit the vehicle, give you a smiley face button, tell you to have a "nice day" and drive off in your newly restored 1931 Whirlaway, never to seen or heard from again.

Is hyjacking and car theft really a Big Problem in India? (Foreign twit asking.)
Old 29th February 2008, 08:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have to appreciate Indian subtlety. In North America you stop for a stop light and two guys appear from nowhere, point their 9mm automatic pistols at your head, invite you to exit the vehicle, give you a smiley face button, tell you to have a "nice day" and drive off in your newly restored 1931 Whirlaway, never to seen or heard from again.

Is hyjacking and car theft really a Big Problem in India? (Foreign twit asking.)
This practically cannot happen in India, for 2 reasons:
1. If robbers are rich enough to procure automatic, why would they steal cars...they would better rob banks. and
2: where will they run off to...they are bound to get stuck at the next signal(which will be 100mts away)

On the serious note, one of my friends just came back from Brazil and he was telling me that the situation there is so bad that ppl advised him not to wear watches, not to carry camera, not to wear gold chains, not to carry his CC or too much cash & always travel in hotel cab...and of course coming back home alone in the night was completely ruled out.

Now doesn't that make me feel that Bangalore is much safer!

Regards,
Old 29th February 2008, 09:26   #18
BHPian

The Central Locking from Autocop base version itself does not unlock the doors as long as the key is in the ignition position (the position just before starting the engine where all other electricals work). I use it extensively in all signals in Bangalore
Old 29th February 2008, 09:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most of the new central locking systems have this feature that the door unlocks only on removal of key and not on switching off the ignition. It just needs to be programmed right.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

My standing rule is laptops are ALWAYS in the boot regardless of length of journey. Further, if I know that I will be parking somewhere, I stop and put any other bags (say shopping bags etc) on the boot long BEFORE I reach my parking destination.

The worst thing someone can do is to park, take out lots of expensive-looking shopping bags, laptop bag etc and dump into the boot. That way the thieves known exactly where to target!

At traffic lights where I switch off the engine, I immediately use my elbow and push down my Aveo's driver-side parking button which locks all 4 doors again. An old habit from my stay in South Africa and London :-)
Old 29th February 2008, 11:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

I don't know why this was posted for the attention of Bangalore members. Obviously the source of this message is from USA, where the term carjacking and auto-transmission are most common. In India most of us can't shift to park. So, this is not a trick used by Bangalore criminal elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Just received an email , thought I will share ( no authenticity though)

----------email--------------
BEWARE OF PAPER IN THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE

NEW WAY TO DO CAR JACKINGS

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating...
You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.
You start the engine and shift into Reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your
parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of
the rear window.
So, you
shift into Park
, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to
remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your
view.
Old 29th February 2008, 11:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

It happens in certain area(or neighborhoods for ya).
1. Lonely highways : Debris on road which can cause a tire burst etc., and then you get looted. Recently an entire convoy of vehicles was robbed at gunpoint in Western India
2. Shady areas of town : In greater noida there have been incidences of car jacking

Rules of the road
1. Got a tire puncture or a burst on a lonely highway? Don't stop to change, keep going till you reach a populated area Sure you will screw up the rim etc., etc., but its better than dying
2. Never unlock your car in a remote area
3. Somebody tries to stop your car by obstructing you(some biker gangs used to do this on ORR Bangalore) don't stop, run, even if it means mowing down your potential carjacker.

In your neck of woods dirtydan, things are safer. I have not heard of many incidents of carjacking in Himachal, however in the plains of Terai it happens, and often you are dead to care about it.
Old 29th February 2008, 11:48   #23
BHPian

[quote=chanapli;464334]

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money,
and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now
compromised!

A purse contains all kinds of personal information and
identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.
-------------
I agree with Samurai... this is more American way of stealing, The term identity theft is commonly used in the US but not in India.

But, I would still say a very informative piece. Indians catch up with Americans in a short span and I wouldn't be surprised if identity theft starts in India soon
Old 29th February 2008, 12:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

How many of us would get down from the vehicle just to check out a paper at the back of your car ? I don't even try to pull out the paper on the windshield once you sat in the car. (all those advertising ones that are put up at parking lots)
Old 29th February 2008, 13:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
The Central Locking from Autocop base version itself does not unlock the doors as long as the key is in the ignition position (the position just before starting the engine where all other electricals work)
In my case, if I turn the key to switch off, all the four doors are unlocked. I use a 2k / 2000 model - the base one from autocop, I got from dealer.
Old 29th February 2008, 13:34   #26
BHPian

Hoax !!
Car-Jacking Scheme Warning - Paper on Rear Window
Old 29th February 2008, 13:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't know why this was posted for the attention of Bangalore members. Obviously the source of this message is from USA, where the term carjacking and auto-transmission are most common. In India most of us can't shift to park. So, this is not a trick used by Bangalore criminal elements.
Also, most Indians park it in reverse (backside first), so that when leaving they leave without even looking back
Old 29th February 2008, 14:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I once got robbed of a briefcse through an open window, so that was an unforgettable lesson. After that -
* I always drive with the windows closed (pollution was another reason for that)
* I got used to keeping my laptop/briefcase/camcorder bag either on the driver's side (behind my legs) or in the boot (dicky)

There is no alternative to being alert.
How is that? you put the laptop on the drivers side while driving.. I dont think thats too wise. You'd rather run the risk of losing the case than the bag getting in your way of the pedals.

Like Samurai said.. this is a hoax. its a US email. Plus if its not happening in bangalore yet, this email is a good lesson for low lifes who will surely try this nifty new trick.

Either way such emails does help keep our guard up.
Old 29th February 2008, 15:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

I ensure that I always turn off the engine and remove the key even if i am stepping out of the car for a few seconds (every day when i have to close my garage doors).

I also ensure i dont leave anything lying on the dash or the seats.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:32   #30
LLL
BHPian

Happens in India too...

1 of the guys in my company had a gun put to his head right in front of the office in sec 62, noida @ 11 pm. He was getting in his car, this guy appears from nowhere, puts a gun to his head and makes him drive away. He was left in the middle of nowhere and thief took everything - car, laptop, purse, mobile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks