Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta gets stuck on Goa beach; Driver arrested

Videos of a Hyundai Creta driving on Goa's Anjuna beach have gone viral. The SUV can be seen driving recklessly on the beach and eventually gets stuck in the sand.

Hyundai Creta gets stuck on Goa beach; Driver arrested-creta-goa.jpg

It's illegal to drive on the beaches in Goa. Obviously, this person's antics didn't go unnoticed. The accused has been identified as Lalit Kumar Dayal and an FIR has been registered against him under sections 279 and 336 of the IPC.

Last week, in a similar incident, a Toyota Fortuner driver had to pay a fine of Rs. 50,000 for driving on the Hunder sand dunes in Ladakh. There have also been numerous incidents of tourists driving their vehicles on the banks of the Pangong lake.

That being said, it is good to see the authorities proactively taking action against people causing harm to the environment.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 18th June 2022 at 13:04.
TusharK is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta gets stuck on Goa beach; Driver arrested

I am quite happy with these proceedings. Such hooligans pose a threat to peaceful tourists and a menace to our environment. I wish more people are punished to set an example.
harry10 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Thank you for sharing this video. Made my day.
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing these errant folks being stung by instance justice.

I really wish our government adopts a zero tolerance approach towards abuse of public property. And then maybe in a generation or two, things might improve
warrioraks is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Do you guys think Insurance will foot the repair bill given that the car is a private use registration and was illegally rented out (commercial activity) ? I feel for the owner who was probably just trying to make a living :/
EeshanChatterje is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeshanChatterje View Post
Do you guys think Insurance will foot the repair bill given that the car is a private use registration and was illegally rented out (commercial activity) ? I feel for the owner who was probably just trying to make a living :/
Even if it was the owner driving it, insurance will not since off-roading isn’t covered.
Cresterk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:30   #6
BHPian

I hope insurance companies refuse to pay for such acts. There is no reason why someone like me who hasn't claimed insurance in 20 years subsidizes idiots like this guy.
akg7091 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Goa government's concern to preserve such serene spots is highly appreciable. The lawbreaker Dayal has been booked under relevant sections of the IPC.

It is also suggested that the Goa government amend its State Environment Conservation Act. Herein, for such environmentally and ecologically destructive, unlawful acts a fine of Rs 500,000=00 (not up to but a full Rs 5 lakhs as if its up to, the judiciary has liberties) needs to be imposed in addition to the punishments imposed under the IPC sections. And with the funds generated maintenance and upkeep of the beach will get a boost. Signboards need to be put in all such eco-sensitive locations enlisting the illegal activities that could come under the lens and the fines payable.

Outlaws will get the lessons of their lives.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th June 2022 at 15:59.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 16:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not, first of all it is illegal to use a private car for commercial activity, second the car was driven on a beach which is in contradiction to usage guidelines for any car.

Insurance companies will definitely reject the claim. It makes it easier on their part that the car regn number is in public domain now.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Absolutely not, first of all it is illegal to use a private car for commercial activity, second the car was driven on a beach which is in contradiction to usage guidelines for any car.

Insurance companies will definitely reject the claim. It makes it easier on their part that the car regn number is in public domain now.
True, the insurance claim is likely to be rejected.

I can’t think of a worse outcome for the registered owner. What options does he/she have in this case if the renter refuses to make good his/her loss?
Old 18th June 2022, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Why show sympathy for someone who is breaking the law?
One cannot rent out a whiteboard vehicle. It's not fair to yellow board and self drive vehicles (who pay more road tax compared to white board vehicles). Don't you think?
In this case, the owner has become ex-Creta owner
srvm is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 20:44   #11
BHPian

Clowns like these are found dime a dozen on our roads. This time it was on a beach. The driver's license needs to be blocked for a year. Indian drivers or riders are rarely penalised in accordance to their reckless driving. This is a rare instance where the infringement has been penalised. I have seen tourists drink and drive in Goa with disdain. Lately though, the authorities in Goa have taken cognizance of the infractions and started to crack the whip. Speed guns on all approach roads to Goa for instance.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 21:39   #12
BHPian

I remember witnessing a similar incident in Alibaug many years ago where there was black scorpio driven by a middle aged man fully clad with gold chains & a 4 girls rashly driving the car on the beach, he was so drunk that he could not make out the tide rising & slow the car was in water. The creta above was stuck in sand whereas the scorpio was actually floating on water.

Good to see such people being fined & put to justice.
kkunal.shah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 21:48   #13
BHPian

The government should also punish the manufacturers for falsely marketing mere hatchbacks with bigger wheels as "SUVs". Innocent and ignorant customers do get carried away leading to mishaps like these.

Last edited by kpkeerthi : 18th June 2022 at 21:49.
kpkeerthi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 21:49   #14
BHPian

Absolutely stupid is the word to describe this gentleman, I see no reason why he had to take his car where he did.

The core problem starts with the way licenses are given, there is zero practical or transferrable knowledge in terms of road manners, rules or basic courtesies that one should ideally extend while driving. Unless and until the core/basic process is perfected from the bottom-up such drivers will yet continue to be a ruckus.

Penalties should definitely help deter such behaviour in the future but the government should ensure that there is adequate signage available in order to stop this from becoming another money making scheme for corrupt officers. In people yet choose to break rules while there is an obvious sign in place then they deserve to get fined.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 22:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Thank you for sharing this video. Made my day.
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing these errant folks being stung by instance justice.

I really wish our government adopts a zero tolerance approach towards abuse of public property. And then maybe in a generation or two, things might improve
I wish they do, especially at a time when people in the 1000s are having a free run destroying public property.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks