Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:24   #1
BHPian

Freak accident In Hyderabad

On my way to office this morning, I came across a freak accident. In from of the Magna store in Banjara Rd no 10 (near Ohris) a Palio hit a parked department supply truck.

What appears to have happened, the locked driverless palio was parked in the lane opposite the store. Possible the brakes was not engaged properly, so it rolled backwards across 2 lanes of traffic through the gap in the median, and hit the supply truck on it's side, parked in front of the store. The rear glass was visible smashed. No one was injured. Could not stop as I was late, but as I was going past the driver had just come. Being perpendicular to the road, traffic was getting a bit blocked as the Palio was across 3/4 of the road.

Quite a freak accident.
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:39   #2
BHPian

Shouldnt one park with hand breaks and lock gears. Specally on an incline it is most important.
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Shouldnt one park with hand breaks and lock gears. Specally on an incline it is most important.
Yes, one should, but in this case probably he/she forgot or something.
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:46   #4
BHPian

Sheer carelessness on the part of the Palio driver. Nothing else.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:15   #5
BHPian

You know what? Being a newbie to driving, I realise that there are a lot of things that one has check before getting in/out of a car and while starting/stopping. Some mistakes that I/We have made are
1) Starting without depressing the clutch while in gear.
2) Trying to drive away without dis-engaging the parking brake
3) After a stall, trying to drive away in second gear without shifting to first and stall again.
4) Forgetting to engage park brake/gear while getting out of the car

There are many such situations that come to mind. I think we should have some features included in car that would prevent such slippages of the mind (you can make out I was reading about clutch slippage yesterday ).
1) When the door is locked(key/keyless) upon exit, automatically engage the parking brake
2) When car stalls, return the gear to first automatically(hydraulically)
3) No start without pressing the clutch. I think this is already present in Getz, right?
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
On my way to office this morning, I came across a freak accident. In from of the Magna store in Banjara Rd no 10 (near Ohris) a Palio hit a parked department supply truck.

What appears to have happened, the locked driverless palio was parked in the lane opposite the store. Possible the brakes was not engaged properly, so it rolled backwards across 2 lanes of traffic through the gap in the median, and hit the supply truck on it's side, parked in front of the store. The rear glass was visible smashed. No one was injured. Could not stop as I was late, but as I was going past the driver had just come. Being perpendicular to the road, traffic was getting a bit blocked as the Palio was across 3/4 of the road.

Quite a freak accident.
Ufff...
Yesterday while going from Hi-tec city towards Kukatpally Housing Board, I parked my WagonR a side to buy some mangoes. After taking magoes, when I looked for the car, I was aghast, my car has gone. Looked around with anxiet, and found my car almost touching the divider staying across the road hal-a-kilometer away. What did I do, I forgot applying handbrake!. With cars zooming around 90 kmph on that road, my car miraculously escaped a major accident. Would have been disaster if somebody had hit my car. A coconut vendor, put a coconut under the tyre to prevent it from hitting the divider. Thanx to him a lot.

This taught me a good lesson, and I would never forget applying handbrake while parking.

@herculesksp; Agree with you
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Ufff...
This taught me a good lesson, and I would never forget applying handbrake while parking.
I apply handbrakes even at traffic signal stops. I guess in some countries its mandatory. If someone tailgates you, the last thing that u want is to roll forward freely and hit the vehile in the front or worse, run over people crossing the road.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I apply handbrakes even at traffic signal stops. I guess in some countries its mandatory. If someone tailgates you, the last thing that u want is to roll forward freely and hit the vehile in the front or worse, run over people crossing the road.
I always apply handbrake whenever I stop, even at traffic signals. I have never forgoten to apply handbrake in the last six months (bought car six months ago). This is the first time it happened, donno why.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:09   #9
BHPian

palio driver should be caned in public for putting other lives at risk.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
You know what? Being a newbie to driving, I realise that there are a lot of things that one has check before getting in/out of a car and while starting/stopping. Some mistakes that I/We have made are
1) Starting without depressing the clutch while in gear.
2) Trying to drive away without dis-engaging the parking brake
3) After a stall, trying to drive away in second gear without shifting to first and stall again.
4) Forgetting to engage park brake/gear while getting out of the car

There are many such situations that come to mind. I think we should have some features included in car that would prevent such slippages of the mind (you can make out I was reading about clutch slippage yesterday ).
1) When the door is locked(key/keyless) upon exit, automatically engage the parking brake
2) When car stalls, return the gear to first automatically(hydraulically)
3) No start without pressing the clutch. I think this is already present in Getz, right?
Well thats very understandable, even when I was new to driving I used to forgot to change to lower gears even when the engine demanded it, but for the others, I was always a keen observer of my dad driving and he always used to remind me of those things if I forgot.

You'll get habituated with time, dont worry.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post

Quite a freak accident.
Wow, that something. I take this road daily to my office and i was driving this morning on that road at 930am, didnt see any jam due to this incident. What time was it this morning?
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

He meant Rd # 12, not 10.
Magna and Ohri's are on Rd # 12.
I too take Rd # 10 daily, and did not see any mishap.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
palio driver should be caned in public for putting other lives at risk.
NO specific comment on you ad75, but a lot of us indians are not accepting of mistakes. Maybe it was just that, a mistake. It happens. What is not a mistake is overspeeding, cutting lanes, not wearing helmets, not wearing seatbelts, not following traffic rules. These are infringements of the law, and these are the people who should be caned.

Sorry to go OT.

Superavi
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

I bet the driver was a lady / a really dorky looking guy

Quote:
I agree.. Sometimes guys just apply half clutch and keep revving at about 1500 to keep the car from rolling back.. All you have to do it pulll the little lever on your left and relax for a few mins.

I totally agree
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Talking of accidents, yesterday night at around 7.35pm when I took the turn at hi-tech signal I was shocked. Near the Cyber Gateway turn there were 6 or 7 vehicles which had caused separate accidents! All within 20 meters of each other. A wagonR hit a santro from behind and both guys were arguing badly in the pouring rain. Almost at the same place (5 mtrs ahead) a Qualis rammed into an Indicab... The whole of its boot had gone inside. These two cases were on the shoulder of the road. Near the divider an Auto had hit a Tata Ace real hard . The auto was looking like it needed a severe face surgery. Also, a little ahead a motorcyclist was getting up from the road gingerly... It was pandemonium on the road, ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks