Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Google Maps now displays speed limits in India

Speed and all is fine. More important is please tell us whether to take the flyover or go below it
Dodge_Viper is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:45   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hope Google AI works in Bangalore where there is a one odd reduced speed sign that is used to collect hafta
Old 8th August 2022, 08:23   #18
BHPian

While this is a great feature, it is not fool proof. Google map always display 40kmph speed limit for a stretch next to our home. This includes outside school hours and weekends. My daughter sometimes nudge me for going above speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Thank you Google. Can we also get a feature on speed cameras ahead and cops ahead please.
I think this data is created by users. Can't Google Map users add this data to the route using this option? Isn't this option available in Indian version?

Google Maps now displays speed limits in India-screenshot_20220808124309.jpg
MaxTorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:26   #19
BHPian

Even Google gave up on Mumbai

They understood that their software updates won't be able to match the speed with which new roads are dug up every second, or new potholes appearing every milliseconds in Mumbai.
Old 8th August 2022, 08:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Google for bringing a feature that MapmyIndia and (your own) Waze have been having for ages
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:28   #21
BHPian

Definitely good info - what would also help is some kind of visual warning (may be the speed limit turns RED - Not the audible ding please) when you are over that speed.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:17   #22
BHPian

Good info, During rainy session, there are many places in Bangalore, where the roads are not accessible due to flooding, recently I saw road closure info being flagged in the map and it was because of water logging.
speed indicator is definitely a good feature.
Old 8th August 2022, 21:53   #23

I distinctly remember seeing speed limits on google maps since few months. Is this a new feature or am I missing something?
Old 8th August 2022, 22:32   #24
BHPian

Good addition. But i'll be a little skeptical about this feature. The point is at the end of the day as with al other things you cannot follow google maps blindly.

Gmaps will take time to get updates but the person blindly following it will get fined if the speed restrictions are changed at ground level. Eventually this is what is going to happen and then there will be a ruckus over it. Also if numbers are not met for the month then where is the check to ensure anyone is not changing the speed restriction of a particular road arbitrarily under the guise of some excuse.

An analogy in this case will a current issue of people veering off roads and going into water bodies / no entry lanes as per google recommendation. Google will not take responsibility but in this specific case i think the fines will keep accumulating and hit hard.

Last edited by nick.cs : 8th August 2022 at 22:33.
Old 9th August 2022, 09:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Only Android for now. I hope this feature is available soon on ios.
I can confirm this is working on iOs as I recall seeing speed limit on Google Map couple of days back while using apple car play.
hoodibaba_saggi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:05   #26
BHPian

Showing speed limits is good, but I would rather like our authorities
to correct the speed limits first. The Mumbai Pune expressway is a great example of this. The speed limits increase and decrease on I don't know who's whims and fancies.

Similar example is the road in Dhule. Straight four lane divided highway with speed limits varying from 50kmph to 65 kmph.
Then there is the Indore bypass with anyone and everyone one the road with a speed limit of 100kmph.
Old 19th August 2022, 19:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeDancer View Post
Waze works perfectly for this. Discovered this while traveling on the Mumbai Pune expressway which has quite a few speed cameras that are hard to spot. It gives you an audible warning about the cameras in advance. No such tech yet to spot cops in advance, sadly :P
I haven't tried Waze for speedcams, however, I did try Radarbot on the expressway and the app was spot on everytime! So much so that I am ok to pay for the monthly subscription each time I use it because it would help me save thousands in overspeeding challans!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks