Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 11:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps now displays speed limits in India

Last month, Google Maps announced the introduction of Street View in India. Google has also rolled out the speed limits feature in select cities.

Google Maps now displays speed limits in India-speedlimit.jpg

Google Maps will show speed limit information in Bangalore and Chandigarh. The company is looking to introduce this feature in more cities by working closely with the local traffic authorities.

Google has also partnered with Bangalore traffic police to optimize traffic light timings. The company claims to have observed a 20% reduction in congestion across all intersections in the city and is now looking to run a pilot project in Kolkata and Hyderabad in the coming months.

Google will be working closely with local authorities to provide information on road closures and incidents across eight cities in India. These include Delhi, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Gurgaon, Bangalore, and Agra.

Source: DNA

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 12:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Google Maps now displays speed limits in India

Good move.
By any chance is there any possibility that Google Maps would start issuing challans also for overspeeding !!
edunata is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edunata View Post
Good move.
By any chance is there any possibility that Google Maps would start issuing challans also for overspeeding !!
I don’t think so of course, BUT! Almost all GPS systems also retain history. There have been numerous cases here in Europe where people were in bad accidents and the police managed to extract their speed from the GPS device and it has been used in court cases as evidence!

Not quite sure what google does, but as it is the log an awful lot of information of their users!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Only Android for now. I hope this feature is available soon on ios.
Old 6th August 2022, 14:06   #5
BHPian

This is indeed a welcome addition to train pesky lawless drivers although it remains to be seen how effective the implementation would be. For starters, most if not all over speeders might be already aware of the speed limits in place yet still flout the rules as if it was nobody's business!
Old 6th August 2022, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edunata View Post
Good move.
I think google should simply deny its services to these over-speeders / wrong side drivers, etc. Simply deny youtube, maps and gmail for these offenders. See how quickly our citizens all fall in line. No govt fines will ever be necessary.
barefeetdriver is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 16:37   #7

This partnership between local authorities and Google has tremendous potential for catering to significant traffic and road issues. Planned road closures, repairs, etc will be much better communicated and (hopefully) implemented.

Indian government authorities are known to be very strict about acquiring our cyber information (reference: requiring data collection by vpn, shelving of online privacy draft bill) so we should not be surprised if they collect data from google for legal and business purposes.

I wish Google maps also brings in the traffic camera/radar system.
yash1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 17:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Only Android for now. I hope this feature is available soon on ios.
Its available on iOS, atleast for Bangalore. I was crossing the notorious Kudlu Gate signal this morning. Just then, my son excitedly pointed to the 60 kmph sign on gmaps.

Notorious signal because it’s a long wait and most people rush when it turns green, only to be flagged down by the speed interceptors ahead.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 20:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

On a travelogue I read a while back, a small part of the highway had a very low speed-limit and, being almost part of the highway, it wasn't discernible to the casual eye since road conditions were good. But cops were stopping people & making quite a collection on that stretch. So, hope this feature is implemented country-wide in India.

In some countries (AFAIK the UK), Audi has a navigation system that not only shows the Speed Limit on the instrument cluster, but also the recommended speed to drive so as to consistently hit green signals (because Audi's system is integrated with traffic signals)! Can't remember exactly where I read/saw this, but apparently its often accurate to 5-7 seconds!

It is supposed to reduce laxity due to fewer distractions at signals & it overall increases driver awareness. Don't think it will work anywhere as accurately as that in India, but nonetheless the tech is cool.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th August 2022 at 20:59.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 04:54   #10
BANNED

Displaying speed limits on Google Maps is a good feature to implement, so at least, even if there are no signboards, we are aware of the speed limits in the region, particularly useful when travelling.
Old 7th August 2022, 05:04   #11
BHPian

Thank you Google. Can we also get a feature on speed cameras ahead and cops ahead please.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Driving in Bangalore city, I look at the speed limits and think to myself "If only I could get closer to that limit, sigh...".
Avikbrio is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:25   #13
BHPian

Thanks to Google, as in most roads there are no speed limit boards or display signs. That apart it will also keep the driver alerted and notified of over speeding.
Old 7th August 2022, 11:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Thank you Google. Can we also get a feature on speed cameras ahead and cops ahead please.
Waze works perfectly for this. Discovered this while traveling on the Mumbai Pune expressway which has quite a few speed cameras that are hard to spot. It gives you an audible warning about the cameras in advance. No such tech yet to spot cops in advance, sadly :P
BrakeDancer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Today, a speed limit display on the head-unit/phone. Good

Tomorrow, a chime if you cross that speed limit? Not good
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed