Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

i have seen in Bhubaneswar that a lot of drivers turn on the hazard light at an intersection (already discussed somewhere in TBHP)

IMO - the modern cars (exceptions are there) come with factory fitted Front and Rear fog lights - i dont know why dont they turn these on when there is fog / heavy rain!

turning on the Parking Lights / HLs helps. but i doubt that it helps when visibility is poor (during heavy rain / fog) -> in this case the fog lamps (in addition to HLs / PLs) are useful.

therefore, vehicles that doesnt come with factory fitted fog lamps have very little option other than to turn on the hazard lights (&/along with the PLs/HLs).
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Normally you will find that those humongous army tow trucks towing artillery guns or other such heavy stuff switch on the hazard lights when moving. The general idea is that you have to entirely take care of the manouevers (his or yours) when you are anywhere near such a vehicle.
yes, tow trucks, heavy machinery, cars in "limp to home" mode all have blinkers on to show their presence.

however, it has nothing to do with how the discussion started.
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
however, it has nothing to do with how the discussion started.
Maybe not, but it was a specific answer to MF's doubts on why the vehicles on the move switch on the hazard lights.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd July 2007 at 00:34.
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Normally a vehicle with hazard lights on even if moving should be moving slowly.
Agreed and I was talking about cars moving at 100 kmph on the expressway!

Quote:
Normally you will find that those humongous army tow trucks towing artillery guns or other such heavy stuff switch on the hazard lights when moving. The general idea is that you have to entirely take care of the manouevers (his or yours) when you are anywhere near such a vehicle.
I suppose they do not do more than 30 kmph.

The cars I was referring to with hazard lights were driven at atleast 70 - 80 kmph on the Bombay - Pune expressway and for me they were more of hazards to other motorists on the road especially where the lane observations go to the dogs and people drive from one corner to the other with these hazard lights ON. Not their fault for switching lanes the trucks are major contributors for this menace. But the driver should realise that his hazard lights do not help in judging lane switching etc.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Agreed and I was talking about cars moving at 100 kmph on the expressway!

I suppose they do not do more than 30 kmph.

The cars I was referring to with hazard lights were driven at atleast 70 - 80 kmph on the Bombay - Pune expressway and for me they were more of hazards to other motorists on the road especially where the lane observations go to the dogs and people drive from one corner to the other with these hazard lights ON. Not their fault for switching lanes the trucks are major contributors for this menace. But the driver should realise that his hazard lights do not help in judging lane switching etc.
Hazard lights must be used when a car is moving with slow speed ie 30-40 kmph. No lane cutting should be done when one has the hazard lights switched on, unless moving to the leftmost lane.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:32   #21
BHPian

Well, I am totally against switching on Hazard lights in tunnels. It is nothing but a sign of sheer laziness.

As many have pointed out over here, using hazard lights during stormy weather is a protocol followed by most countries. Now people here are saying that why don't people use the factory fitted fog lamp ?

From personal experience, I can say that flashing lights attract attention more convincingly than the solitary foglamp. That is exactly, the reason why police cars/ambulances/planes have strobe lights.

Having said that, I completely agree that driving at high speeds with hazard lights on is not recommended. But still, people tend to disregard that. For example, recently, I'd done a Mumbai-Pune trip in a Qualis and the driver was driving in torrential rains with hazard lights on @ 120 kph.

We also have to understand that there are many cars in India with malfunctioning parking lights. So hazard lights seem to be the only way out.

Many times, I've observed that due to faulty turn-indicator lamps, one gets a feeling that a car wants to take a turn but actually it doesn't !!
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Hazard lights are for hazardous conditions right? That's where my initial post came from. Not the moment you enter a tunnel and are doing 80+ KPH, and/or in rains where you still are going real fast!

In foggy conditions where visibility is like 30 feet, and the hazard lights are on, and average speed is like 20 or so KMPH is fine. But what about mild fog, and speeds of 50 +kph. I think that is dangerous.

And what if there is someone who's had a breakdown and has hazard lights in low visibility? That is a certain recipe for hazard lights leading to a hazard, and not the other way around.

Superavi
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Superavi
I take back most of whatever I said. I didn't realise they use the hazard light while driving at 80/100. It is wrong and a clear case of misuse. I have never been to these tunnels in the recent past and didn't know the driving habits there.
Personally I switch it on when I am driving through dense fog, serious thunderstorm etc. But I am driving at 20. And yes I have the spotlight on as well.
Sudipto
Sudipto
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hazard lights you say?? I have seen people driving with reverse lights on(They short the rear tail lamp with reverse lamp). So apart from blinding you, you cannot be sure from a distance whether the car is reversing or going forward.
When my indica broke down at the signal. I put on hazard lights well in advanced. Quite a few people came and stopped behind me(signal was red) ignoring hazard lights, and then started honking like crazy.
This is what happens when there is no driving test (written or practical)
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic:

@ tsk - you are right - atleast i havent come across anyone in Kolkata taking a "written" driving test. the driving schools' "driving rules booklet" is a good-for-nothing piece of cr@p. the booklets are dated and doesnt even include when and where to use "Hazard Lights" / PLs / Fog Lights.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

OT again
Driving licence inspectors don't recognise any electronic signalling system, at least in Kolkata. They ask two questions - how do you signal for left turn? You will fail if you say, by turning on the left indicator. You have to show that old hand signal which they themselves don't use any more. Their other stock question is what does the no infiltration left sign mean? That's it.
Quite hilarious actually. They are caught in a time warp.
By the way, you can apply for a driving licence with your left thumb impression only. Which means driving (and killing pedestrians) is recognised as your birth right. You don't need to be educated to drive.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 3rd July 2007 at 16:52. Reason: small factual error
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:51   #27
rks
BANNED

I use headights on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (and on any highway) in the tunnels and if there is heavy rain/fog, which happens often during the monsoon season and especially in the Lonawala ghat section. The main purpose is for vehicles ahead of me to know where I am, so that they don't cut lanes and make me brake. As for vehicles behind me, I think the Santro's tail lights are quite big, bright and good enough. Most vehicles are driving at a painfully slow speed in heavy rain/fog; hence I reserve the indicators for lane cutting/overtaking and do not use hazard lights while driving.

Last edited by rks : 3rd July 2007 at 17:58.
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Hazard lights, as the name denotes, indicates difficult conditions. Going by this logic, if a person can see the blinking lights, can also make out if they are moving or stationary.
Please don't go just by the name of the device. There is a way to use them which promotes safety, and a way which doesn't.

Otherwise, we would be switching the turn lights on every time we encountered a twist (i.e., a "turn") in the road.

Quote:
And going by your quote, if an unsuspecting driver thinks otherwise, then must attend a driving refresher course.
No, brother, sorry, I don't think you can tell when you are approaching at speed whether a car in front of you is stationary or moving at low speed, especially in bad weather.

The whole idea of turning hazard lights on automatically whenever it's raining is ridiculous. I mean, what are you turning the lights on for, to tell people it's raining?

The list of conditions given by @bottle above is the only sane set of conditions in which to use hazard lights. To sum it up, use it whenever you are going significantly slower than traffic that is approaching you. That would include being stationary, and glowing slow.

If you're going slowly because of the weather, and so is everyone else, there is no point to the hazard lights. Everyone is already slowing down for the bad weather. Only flash the hazards if there's something additionally wrong w/ you. I.e., puncture, so you're going even slower than the rest of traffic.

Having said that, I don't think it's a bad idea to switch on the hazards tempararily (i.e., 5-10 seconds) if you see an obstacle immediately ahead which will force you to decrease speed drastically. (Like an old depression in the road for railway crossing.) In fact, I usually blow the horn when having to brake suddenly just to wake up the driver in back.

Summary: Please don't turn on the hazards if you are moving normally with traffic.
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:24   #29
BHPian

Well I'm not too sure of the rules and the regulations pertaining to the usage of hazard lights, but this is for sure --- in India common sense rules more than anything else.

All around we are surrounded by truckers, half-asleep / drunk drivers (i once saw a truck-driver asleep at the wheel on the expressway doing 80+, and woke him up with the horn) and infamous 2 and 3 wheelers. In such a situation using hazard lights at times seems to be the only way to warn traffic around of your presence.

Just my 2c
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Hi Team,

I've been travelling on the express highway (and the old highway as well) for over six months (bi weekly). I find that a lot of people start the hazard lights as soon as they enter tunnels. Now that the rains have hit us in full force - hampering visibility especially in the clouds at lonavla, we have hazard lights being used even more. I think this is illogical and dangerous. Here's why:

1) What happens if a car breaks down in the tunnels?
2) What if the break down happens in the fog?

The driver of the unfortunate car will have no option than to put on the hazard lights. And here comes an unsuspecting driver who thinks it's just a fellow speedster in tunnel and wham!!

Guys! Use fog lights, and low beam. That should do the trick.

Drive safe.

Superavi
Someone who cannot differentiate between a stationary & moving object has got to have an issue with "DEPTH PERCEPTION".....ofcourse you use blinkers in conditions where visibility is low. Basically you are telling the driver behind you that visibility is poor & to "BACK OFF" from your rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks