Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:32   #1
BHPian

Hazard Lights on the expresshighway

Hi Team,

I've been travelling on the express highway (and the old highway as well) for over six months (bi weekly). I find that a lot of people start the hazard lights as soon as they enter tunnels. Now that the rains have hit us in full force - hampering visibility especially in the clouds at lonavla, we have hazard lights being used even more. I think this is illogical and dangerous. Here's why:

1) What happens if a car breaks down in the tunnels?
2) What if the break down happens in the fog?

The driver of the unfortunate car will have no option than to put on the hazard lights. And here comes an unsuspecting driver who thinks it's just a fellow speedster in tunnel and wham!!

Guys! Use fog lights, and low beam. That should do the trick.

Drive safe.

Superavi
superavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

problem with the system allowing people to drive without understanding rules, information displayed on boards, user manuals, and common sense.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my thoughts Superavi. I cannot understand why they cant switch on headlights in the tunnel. maybe they want to test their vision with blinking lights

Even during heavy rains - the first thing is - switch on the hazards - I mean you have a headlight system , use that. Whats the obsession with these hazard blinkers ?
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly I noticed this in Singapore as well. During heavy torrential rains they all use the hazard lights on the expressways there.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:59   #5
BHPian

Well We are supposed to use Hazard Blinkers If your driving when visibility is poor...!

I've seen them being used in many situations abroad too
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

afaik using hazard lights is only acceptable when driving in really bad conditions .. check out this pdf (looks like au regulations) and scroll to where it says hazard lights
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd.../0/part_13.pdf

Quote:

Using hazard warning lights
The driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning lights must not use the
hazard warning lights, or allow them to be used, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the
path of other vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is obstructing, or is likely to
obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product (for example, ice creams)
that may attract children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather conditions (for example, fog
or smoke); or
(f) the vehicle is a bus carrying children, and the driver stops the vehicle
to drop off or pick up a child and is required or permitted to operate the
hazard warning lights under regulation 15(3) of the Transport
(Passenger Vehicles) Regulations 1994; or
(g) the hazard warning lights are operating as part of an anti-theft device
fitted to the vehicle

Last edited by bottle : 2nd July 2007 at 21:15.
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

On a recent trip to mahabaleshwar with very heavy rains throughout the journey the hazard lights were the only saving grace.As during the rains the visbility reduces and dark clouds hovering above there is so much lesser light during the day too.
In this condition when the headlight is switched on and with water on the windscreen it just multiplies the headlights effect and makes it really difficult to see anything in our path.Hazard lights clearly make the vehicles more visible and dont punish the eyes of the oncommin driver.
This is what i felt during my recent trip.People switched on their hazard lights with the parking lights switched on and it really helped making them visible which even the headlights would have done the job but then hampering the visiblity of the oncoming path in his path.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hazard lights, as the name denotes, indicates difficult conditions. Going by this logic, if a person can see the blinking lights, can also make out if they are moving or stationary.

And going by your quote, if an unsuspecting driver thinks otherwise, then must attend a driving refresher course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Hi Team,

I've been travelling on the express highway (and the old highway as well) for over six months (bi weekly). I find that a lot of people start the hazard lights as soon as they enter tunnels. Now that the rains have hit us in full force - hampering visibility especially in the clouds at lonavla, we have hazard lights being used even more. I think this is illogical and dangerous. Here's why:

1) What happens if a car breaks down in the tunnels?
2) What if the break down happens in the fog?

The driver of the unfortunate car will have no option than to put on the hazard lights. And here comes an unsuspecting driver who thinks it's just a fellow speedster in tunnel and wham!!

Guys! Use fog lights, and low beam. That should do the trick.

Drive safe.

Superavi
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not just Singapore, all over the world you are supposed to drive with hazard lights on when visibility is poor. In Nordic countries, by the way, you are legally bound to drive with your lights always on.

Hazard ligh is not just an SOS light. It is to tell people, "hey visibility is poor and I am here".

When you see the vehicle infront of you with hazard lights on you should drive very slowly and then it will be obvious for you if the guy infront is in some trouble and stationary or moving. So there is no question of "wham".

Regards
Sudipto
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Not just Singapore, all over the world you are supposed to drive with hazard lights on when visibility is poor.
I thought the lights for use in poor visibility such as mist/fog or heavy rains are the front(white) and rear(red) fog lamps. They serve to increase the distance from which the car is visible so other road users are warned of your presence from far away.
Hazard warning lights are for hazards as described by bottle. If you use them in poor visibility you are indicating to the other road users that you are a traffic hazard: slowing down, broken down or stalled.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:19   #11
BHPian

What are hazard lights btw? . I'm sorry , but I don't own a car.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

I simply dont understand the logic behind using hazard lights. It is a dangerous signalling system while a vehicle is moving. How can you judge the moves of a car whose hazard lights are ON? Remember that your indicators do not show lane changes with these stupid blinkers which are supposed to warn a motorist of a stopped/broken down vehicle on the road.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
What are hazard lights btw? . I'm sorry , but I don't own a car.
When all the indicator lights flash in tandem it is treated as a hazard light. Cars come with a switch for this. It indicates any oncoming vehicle that your vehicle has either broken down or else for some other reasons is a probable traffic hazard. Serves as a warning for others to be cautious.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:42   #14
BHPian

Ohh alright.. I just found that out too. The TRIANGLE button right? I remember it from my pop's M800.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I simply dont understand the logic behind using hazard lights. It is a dangerous signalling system while a vehicle is moving. How can you judge the moves of a car whose hazard lights are ON? Remember that your indicators do not show lane changes with these stupid blinkers which are supposed to warn a motorist of a stopped/broken down vehicle on the road.
Normally a vehicle with hazard lights on even if moving should be moving slowly. The vehicle behind is supposed to be cautious as it indicates that "the vehicle ahead is indicating that he is constrained in his moves for some reason and that he may not be able to react as under normal circumstances. So beware".

Normally you will find that those humongous army tow trucks towing artillery guns or other such heavy stuff switch on the hazard lights when moving. The general idea is that you have to entirely take care of the manouevers (his or yours) when you are anywhere near such a vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks