Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 12:03   #16

Re: Tamil Nadu: Hotels must provide amenities for the drivers of its guests

No details available about charges for the dormitory, why the cost has to born by hotel?

I see there are major loopholes already,
1. Hotels to add up dormitory charges to the guest bill.
2. Add parking charges to the rent (Substituting dorm charges).
3. Add couple of parking markers to car parking and make it looks like two wheeler parking.

While the intentions of this law is good, as usual the guidelines are very vague and pointless.
cosmodan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Needless bureaucratic meddling in the running of the hotel industry. There are many issues with the order as pointed by many members in this thread. Another pain point is why should the hotels bear the additional cost. The hotels should be allowed to charge extra amount from every guest (who parks a car in the premise) since a bed is reserved against every parking. Will the people without drivers accept such an increase in cost?

The government knows only how to meddle in businesses so as to milk them for tax or other under-the-table favours.
Abhineet Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 12:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Why cant the guests be mandated to book a room for their driver?
Or combine this idea with the mandatory dorms that the Hotels can charge for at a nominal rate. The owners can book their drivers in these dorms. It then gives enough incentive to the Hotels to set these facilities up and not mark up the general room rates due to this additional overhead. The current GO has some merit but has not been entirely thought through from the Hotels' perspective. I believe this idea can only be applied to a certain tier of hotels where they already have some spare space to build and accommodate such facilities. It wont make sense for the hotels to build these facilities at the cost of their existing rooms. It will be interesting to see how Hotels respond to this move.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 13:01   #19
BHPian

Not sure why so many negative reactions are coming on this topic. People seem to be favoring multi-million dollar corporations who are anyway charging a ton for their services(it's no charity), but I don't see empathy towards fellow humans who work with us tirelessly.

I personally hesitate in taking my driver along on trips for the very same reason, proper facilities not available for him, which is embarrassing.
Pre-covid, most luxury hotels used to have a common room which drivers could use, but post pandemic all started closing down such facilities. Given the weather conditions in North-India, summers and winters alike are harsh for anyone sleeping in the car.
Majority of the luxury hotels these days are kind-of remote, hence asking the driver to find some other accommodation/food may not even be possible.
After raising the concern with the hotel, sometimes they allow the driver to use the facilities meant for their staff, including food. (Obviously timings and options are limited).

I feel maybe 3 or 4 star and above properties need to have such basic facilities on humanitarian grounds, it's not like we are asking for a private room or any lavish requirements.

I would even personally prefer to sleep on a basic mattress on the floor, rather than suffer overnight in the car.
DuHasstMich is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 14:32   #20
BHPian

A welcome move by TN. Hope Karnataka and Kerala follow suit.

As a guide and pilgrimage package cab operator / driver, I have never found issues with getting sleep, food and wash room facilities in medium and big hotels across TN. Either dedicated dorms or in their staff room. Big resorts / hotels in KA and KL too offer the facilities. Yes, cleanliness remains a factor. It's only when the dorms are full or not clean, we look for a nearby lodge. The expenses are borne by us and in some rare cases, generous and kind customers provide for it. Sleeping in the car is a last option or by choice.

Some hotels ask for our reviews on the facilities provided and promptly act on complaints. Some TN hotels also provide AC dorms. No, I don't think so the customers are billed for these facilities and are provided as goodwill.
roamingrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 17:13   #21
BHPian

While i agree to most of your observations, i would disagree with one of your point which is that only the rich are bringing drivers to hotels. From your profile i can see you are from chennai. You must know places like Rameshwaram, Madurai and Trichy see heavy temple tourism. I have seen a very high number of tourists from all walks of life employ the services of a driver (particularly the taxi circuit). Most of the times, the drivers are seen sleeping in their cars. So, while i do agree the intent is good and necessary, i also agree that the modalities haven't been addresed yet.
BharathXUV700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 09:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

It will be good if the authorities mandate parking facility within hotel premises for x% of its occupancy, with many hotels by the street taking over public spaces!
Add to that mandatory public restrooms for drivers, anything else should be left purely as a business proposition

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 7th July 2023 at 09:40.
Old 7th July 2023, 10:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Why cant the guests be mandated to book a room for their driver?
Sure thing. So you want a person to spend another 2k, 3k, 4k, or what ever for the driver too ?

This is where a decent dorm becomes helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
No, I don't think so the customers are billed for these facilities and are provided as goodwill.
Nothing's free, The cost of that would have already been factored into the room rates, and other offerings by the hotel.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 12:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Back in 2003 I got my 1st car, the Alto LX. I was young and my parents were super uncomfortable by my inexperienced driving. On the very 1st trip from Hosur to Tiruvanamalai they had a hired a taxi driver from dad's inner circle and I was having a rather long face for most of the journey.

I remember for the next year or so, all the hotels we used to take a break at there was a driver-room provided with basic cot/sheet/pillow and a ceiling fan. A washroom with running cold water, bucket + mug. The driver used to carry along his toiletries, towel and change of clothes. He was well aware of what to carry meaning the facility existed before 2003, I dont have data prior to 2003 because it was the first car in my family.

Oh, I forgot, the dorm had the most important thing back in 2003 that is ever more relevant till today - it had a mobile charging port for the basic Nokia!!
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 13:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am actually amused at comments condemning the move.

The notification is only about provision of certain facilities. I cannot fathom why are people opposed to such a provision?

You are worried about cost aspect? Let that be the worry of the owner of facility, who is not going to do any charity and ultimately charge the hotel guests. So it is the hotel guests who are carrying drivers who will pay for it.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 13:52   #26

It's typically the rich who have cars with drivers and they are not going to be staying in budget hotels

I would like to disagree with that. I recently went to munnar along with wife and my 6 month old son and booked a cab for 3 days from a cab operator. A lot of people were using such cab services, especially people who had not arrived from the neighboring states. Same for the Manali-Spiti trip in 2021 along with another couple. Also, the demand for pre-booked cabs for multiple day trips increases even more in hilly areas. So I feel that its not limited to rich people alone.

Also, I had stayed in Sterling resort, which is more than 20 kms away from the main market and there was no accommodation for the drivers there. More than half of the guests were traveling with a driver. Also there are no nearby lodges or even restaurants nearby. So all the drivers were sleeping in their cars. I think this is a welcome move, although more research would be required to implement the order as it will definitely impact the budget hotels.
AlphaKiloPapa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 14:18   #27
BHPian

Actually, these provisions are already available at most places, more so at touristy places. If you exclude the super cheap hotels and lodges (which anyway won't receive guests that have cars), most hotels and lodges have these facilities.

I am amused at people suggesting why cannot the driver walk or take a bus and drivers can sleep in the car. The ideal situation would be that the car owner ensures the driver has a sleeping place. Even if you do not consider the driver an equal human being, at least consider your safety the next day.
novice_alto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 14:31   #28
BHPian

I often travel to Uttarakhand. In my experience, all of the state government run KMVN and GMVN hotels have dormitory facilities for drivers. In premium KMVNs, basic healthy food is also complimentary for drivers. However, few expensive private hotels do not have dormitories for drivers.
In my opinion, all hotels should provide accommodations for drivers. These people drive for 8-10 hours in the hills and then sleep inside the car/Innova when the temperature outside is between 0 to 10 degrees Celsius.
Lets show some empathy. Our economy hasn't reached a level where the driver can also book his accommodation. With regards to the cost, it should be borne by the hotel which can be trickled to the customers. Most of the hotels already have dorms for their staff, so getting a separate 8x10 feet room and putting dorm beds is very much doable for most establishments.
Akshay2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:59   #29
BHPian

Certainly, a well-intended order and in line with a few other recent central/state govts initiatives such as facilities for truckers, AC cabin, insurance, etc. There is definitely a trend in improving professional driver care and comfort.

Coming to the details, at the risk of commenting without having seen the details.

Beyond a certain minimum set of facilities (rather than saying reserve dorm bed per parking slot), the extent of facilities for drivers could have been defined in a stratified manner, perhaps aligned to the room rates. Leave it to hotels to either club with guest room rates (say 4S above) or add it separately (say 2-3S). This would also help guests decide if they truly can afford a professional driver (I know many people who have purchased 20+lakh vehicle and crib for paying 15K pm to a driver for 12-14 hr day).

The flip side is hotels may start charging guests for car parking citing the costs they incur due to this govt provision, irrespective of whether a guest brings a driver along or not. Equally, like someone said earlier, some guests may prefer parking outside the hotel parking lot to save money.

There is also opportunity here for private parking lots to mushroom near busy hotels where a guest may be encouraged to park at a smaller fee so that everyone can avoid additional 'driver facilities' costs.

Last edited by subuiyer : 7th July 2023 at 19:05.
subuiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 07:51   #30
BHPian

The self driving guest shouldnt be penalised for this sort of scheme. I refuse to pay any extra charge for "driver facilities" when i self drive. Why should I? It is akin to paying service charges on a buffet resturant.
The rule may be well intentioned but truat the hotels to find a loophole to bill guests for such fscilities, after all the costs need to be passed on.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks