Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2023, 13:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The 120kmph claim makes no sense. GNCAP crash tests are done at 64kmph. If what the manager is saying is true, the airbags should never have deployed during the crash tests either.'
There is a difference in hitting a 1500kg stationery DTB (NCAP parlance for a stationery crash block) at 64kmph and into a stationery sedan (hollow boot) which thankfully moved ahead and probably saved some lives.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 15:37   #32
BHPian

Hi,
Good to see you and your parents were safe after the accident.

After reading your thread, i recalled another thread related to Mahindra cars issue on not deploying the airbags..

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...injured-4.html (XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured))
dmaheshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The 120kmph claim makes no sense. GNCAP crash tests are done at 64kmph. If what the manager is saying is true, the airbags should never have deployed during the crash tests either.'
The only probability working in Mahindras favour was that the Slavia did not have its brakes pressed and it got launched ahead, taking most of the brunt. However the Scorpio also has its chassis bent which is also not something negligible for an impact. Hence only the airbag supplier can tell why it did not trigger if they can have some data that can be extracted from the crash.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:18   #34

@sabsubs
I too have had two accidents in my Scorpio-N, in a rather quick succession.

The first one was around 2 months ago, where the car was crawling in slow moving traffic, and a truck came from behind and did not brake at the correct moment. The car took a hit and bumped into a Brezza in front of me. The airbag did not open. My glasses went flying and I could not fathom what had happened, and in that time the truck driver fled. Even crash detection turned on my iPhone.

Here are some photos taken 10 minutes after the crash-
My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice-scr20230831ohvk.jpeg

My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice-scr20230831oirj.jpeg

My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice-1688900012026.jpg

The second accident took place yesterday, in the same way. An Ertiga hit the back of my car, but with a bit less force than previously. I don't understand why the same type of accident keeps happening to me, with me being at no fault. Bumper was broken and the boot door would have to be replaced.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st August 2023 at 16:59. Reason: Typo. “break” —> “brake”
Ruxh is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
The car took a hit, but the air bags did not open.
I am glad that you and your family are OK after such an unfortunate ordeal. Wish you a speedy recovery form the rib pain (in case the pain persists do go for a second opinion and scan if needed).

It sad to hear that the chassis was bent but the positive part is you guys are ok after enduring such an impact.

What I couldn't understand is how the Airbags failed to deploy. With seatbelts on and impact it should have been deployed saving you from the hit on the ribs. It simply didn't do it primary function for which any car manufacturer levy a substantial amount.
You should escalate this to a level where an investigation should be done. If it is Mahindra's fault they are liable for damages and compensation. Who knows what is being sold in the name of safety and stars.

Last edited by OpenRoads : 31st August 2023 at 16:29.
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxh View Post
I too have had two accidents in my Scorpio-N, in a rather quick succession.
I am really sorry to know that your car ScorpioN is involved in multiple crashes within a few months. I hope nothing major had to be done in your car. It's very unfortunate to see your car getting into two accidents within 2 months. It's just that our stars are not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
I am glad that you and your family are OK after such an unfortunate ordeal. Wish you a speedy recovery form the rib pain (in case the pain persists do go for a second opinion and scan if needed).

It sad to hear that the chassis was bent but the positive part is you guys are ok after enduring such an impact.

What I couldn't understand is how the Airbags failed to deploy.
Thank you very much for your concern about my family and thank you for the wishes. Today an entourage of people from the ASS visited my house to check on my health and giving me the confidence that the repair work would go on smoothly. I emphasized about the airbag. They told they will look into it. But I am not satisfied. I am taking another way to get the Mahindra engineers to visit and find out what’s the issue with airbags not getting deployed even at 90 KMPH.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 31st August 2023 at 17:07. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
sabsubs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:53   #37
BHPian

Glad you and your family are ok.

Please use the footage and lawyer up both against the idiots who were parked on the highway as well as mahindra for selling a vehicle with defective air bags. In a frontal collision like this, there is no reason for the airbags not to deploy. This is just bad manufacturing or design and not the first time in a Mahindra car.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 17:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Glad you and your family are ok.

Please use the footage and lawyer up both against the idiots who were parked on the highway as well as mahindra for selling a vehicle with defective air bags. In a frontal collision like this, there is no reason for the airbags not to deploy. This is just bad manufacturing or design and not the first time in a Mahindra car.
Yes, I have to do it because I have to produce a FIR or CSR for insurance claim.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 17:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

re: My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice

My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st August 2023 at 20:10.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 18:49   #40
BHPian

re: My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice

Glad to know that sabsubs you and your family are OK now.
I had heard of an instance where an XUV 500's airbags didn't deploy in a similar accident. Mahindra is answerable for the situation you were in i.e. airbags not getting deployed in a major collison. We spend our hard earned money to buy our dream cars that are marketed by manufacturers of having the best in class safety technologies but when an actual accident happens, the basic safety net such as airbags don't deploy !
ChetanM6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 22:10   #41
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice

Quote:

Video of the crash: https://Youtu.be/aUlkUwBUsb4
Video has been made private now?
Old 31st August 2023, 22:18   #42
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice

Quote:

Thank you very much for your concern about my family and thank you for the wishes. Today an entourage of people from the ASS visited my house to check on my health and giving me the confidence that the repair work would go on smoothly. I emphasized about the airbag. They told they will look into it. But I am not satisfied. I am taking another way to get the Mahindra engineers to visit and find out what’s the issue with airbags not getting deployed even at 90 KMPH.
Glad to know that you and your family are safe.
I have seen another mahindra owner complaining about non deployment of airbags (link below)
https://www.cartoq.com/owner-of-scor...ing/amp/#ampf=
arjungod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 23:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is my first accident in 25 years of my driving experience. I am attaching the photo of the damaged car and the view of dash cam. Please let me know how to proceed further in my case. I am completely clueless.
Reading through your post, one can conclude that you and your parents have been through a real nightmare. Luckily everything is OK. Its providence.

Firstly, it was nighttime and you were doing 90 kmph and continued at that speed even when there was almost a blind corner. This should be avoided at all costs, as surprises are expected in India especially when there's a blind corner. And with your aged parents (also if there are kids on board) the driver needs to be defensive and very cautious. At blind corners the brake pedal is our saviour.

Coming to the two errant car drivers, I hope their registration numbers were recorded on your ScorpionN's dash cam. You have filed a FIR as I could gather. If the police is lax, please consult a good criminal lawyer to file a criminal case with a copy of the FIR as annexure with printouts of the images of those two cars parked that had indulged in criminal negligence. The criminal court's judicial magistrate can direct the police to take court monitored, proper action under IPC and punish the two errant drivers. Please also add a prayer calling for suspension of their driving licences. I believe those two cars suffered considerable damage as its a Scorpio hit.

And as regards the front airbags of your SUV not getting deployed, you can file a case in the consumer court after sending legal notice to seek damages from the carmaker for the injuries you suffered, treatment costs and a substantial compensation for shock and agony suffered by you all.

Next coming to insurance, the insurer is bound to pay for the damages incl chassis replacement as the full cost price of your SUV is comprehensively insured. Since its new, the cost insured for will be substantial. And again if the insurer harasses you and refuses claims again another case post a legal notice in the consumer court will be desired. In consumer courts, additional claims by way compensation for costs and for mental torture and agony are permissible.

Lastly, do get your ribs checked thoroughly by a competent orthopaedic surgeon and also get it well treated. That's one location which is too tough as compared to our limbs to get proper orthopaedic treatment.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st August 2023 at 23:19.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 00:24   #44
BHPian

Everyone suggesting the OP to take the legal route or whatever that is, one read of the below post and we release that NOTHING is going to be the outcome of all this!

A really sorry state , wherein a poor father had to face such a ordeal for nearly two years and to no avail ! https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...r-injured.html (XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured))

This was 5-6 years ago ; come 2023 - Mahindra has grown like anything with their cars commanding wait times of over 1 year and all the hype I'm sure they won't care a rat's a** of such cases.

I will still give a benefit of doubt to the XUV500 considering it an old tech (just saying); but not the Scorpio-N in today's times. With such remarkable improvement in tech and the way M&M market them, especially the 5 * safety Bulls***; this is simply not acceptable.

It's equally sad and frustrating to read such stories - https://www.cartoq.com/owner-of-scor...ing/amp/#ampf=

Mr. Mahindra and his team can talk all the crap they want, but instances like these just dwindle the confidence in their brands!!

OP - Really sorry to hear about your predicament. I wish you and your parents a speedy recovery.

With regards to insurance, if you've got a NIL dep. cover (which I'm sure you would've), you don't have to shell out anything more than the 'processing fees' which are barely 2k - 2.5k tops.

Aside, with regards to the total loss - you can only claim for a total loss if the repair cost of your vehicle is > 75% of your IDV. It can also be >80 % with some insurers. Since the estimate given is hardly 3.30 L, I'm afraid if you can fight for the total loss claim.

But yeah, do fight it out with the M&M's to the best of your ability regarding the airbags failure to deploy

More strength to you. Stay safe.
ashvek3141 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 07:38   #45
BHPian

@sabsubs I can understand that there may be reasons legal or otherwise to make the youtube video private. The cat is out of the bag anyhow and everyone who is interested in the Indian automotive scene now knows about your accident. Perhaps you could put up a few images from the relevant seconds of the video or a set of Gifs.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks