Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2024, 15:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore: My car was vandalised by autorickshaw drivers

It looks like the clips are well-doctored to garner sympathy. If OP wishes to be anonymous, that fine, but for other bhpians to have a fair/neutral understanding of the events, full footage without turning off audio should have been posted. If it's to cut the cuss/bad words, how come OP not minding the expletives from the Auto driver and co in the last video?

Some things I noticed:
1) OP driving nothing less than a maniac. More like 'my father's road' attitude. It was even difficult to watch. 70-80kmph as claimed, really? This is how one drives in city limits?
2) Not being considerate enough with the traffic.
3) When it was very clear that the Auto drivers wanted him to stop, OP didn't budge and kept on going. Why? Never felt OP was in panic mode or fear. The same pattern of driving was noticed at that time also. Especially if he has done nothing wrong, why not stop? Or did he actually nudge the Auto as being claimed in the last video by the Auto?
4) Why first 2 videos are mute? Did OP use any expletives that irked the Autos? OR has it captured any sound where the auto was nudged?

As everyone has stated, such behavior by the Auto driver, etc is the worst of its kind for a city like Bangalore. But, this looks 100% preventable. If OP had not been irked, changed his driving pattern a bit, slowed down, and even gestured a sorry or even an innocent kind of face, this wouldn't have been the result.

It is very human to react or get pissed off. Yet again I say vandalism is not acceptable, but seemed 100% preventable.

Did OP even file a police complaint?

In fact Team-bhp should not have allowed this post unless original full tootage was shared to moderators.

Last edited by funkykar : 7th March 2024 at 15:34.
funkykar is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 15:37   #77
BHPian

Just putting this from a different (gory) perspective. Imagine the initial videos were posted in the accidents thread because the rash driving resulted in the injury/death of a two wheeler rider who he was swishing by recklessly. How many of you would support the OP in that case? If you wouldn't, does your support sustain only till something unfortunate happens? Why should it come to that? His license should be canceled permanently (and similarly for anyone driving like that).

From what I see, the OP started the mess and the auto driver ended it. If the former had not happened, the latter would not have as well so the OP has to bear the bigger brunt of the blame. The fact that he is trying to defend his stance and completely immune to his own mistakes makes it all the more disturbing.
praveen789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 15:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

I guess enough members have analyzed the situation and given their verdict/judgement. I will not get into it. I read most of the comments to see if someone raised a question that I have in mind. I guess no one did, hence asking.

Was the damage to the car taken care by the insurance company? Would they have a clause where they can decline claim on certain ground (given there is enough evidence of what happened). Did the OP (OP's friend) claim insurance? Any details on the overall invoice. Sorry for deviating from the original discussion.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 16:26   #79
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
The posts justifying violence by the autowallahs makes me want to double down on supporting OP and go as far as to say that it is okay that the auto got nudged.

And yes, out of state number plates.
If my car window were to be smashed, I would have happily smashed my car past the blocking auto with utter disregard to my own damage and would have straight driven to the nearest police station. Hooligans don't understand the language of courtesy. And heat of the moment can never be an excuse for criminal behaviour.
srh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 16:49   #80
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Hooligans don't understand the language of courtesy. And heat of the moment can never be an excuse for criminal behaviour.
My post got deleted saying it promoted violence. Yet I still see a lot of posts justifying violence against OP

It is what it is
vredesbyrd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 16:59   #81
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
My post got deleted saying it promoted violence. Yet I still see a lot of posts justifying violence against OP

It is what it is
I am not promoting violence (i.e. getting physical with the auto drivers). I am promoting an escape and seeking justice through appropriate legitimate means. People with criminal behaviour should face the force of law. It is sad that it was settled with monetary exchange (Which is a questionable action from a legal standpoint)
Old 7th March 2024, 17:04   #82
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
I am not promoting violence
I agree with you but what I am saying is that I my post got deleted for saying the same thing as you
Old 7th March 2024, 17:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
If my car window were to be smashed, I would have happily smashed my car past the blocking auto with utter disregard to my own damage and would have straight driven to the nearest police station. Hooligans don't understand the language of courtesy. And heat of the moment can never be an excuse for criminal behaviour.
It is exactly this kind of words and actions that many here are telling could lead to escalation and better be avoided.

This did not happen in an expressway for you to race ahead of the autos in your car and reach the police station. It happened right in the centre of the city. You cannot drive 200 mtrs without getting struck in a traffic jam. Dont you think the auto drivers cannot catch up with you at the next signal? And what about the public that saw you showing your "strength"? What if there are more autos at the next signal and they all join the "action"?
m8002? is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 17:41   #84
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
It is exactly this kind of words and actions that many here are telling could lead to escalation and better be avoided.

This did not happen in an expressway for you to race ahead of the autos in your car and reach the police station. It happened right in the centre of the city. You cannot drive 200 mtrs without getting struck in a traffic jam. Dont you think the auto drivers cannot catch up with you at the next signal? And what about the public that saw you showing your "strength"? What if there are more autos at the next signal and they all join the "action"?
Sometimes courage is a better choice compared to being bullied, harangued and being pussylanimous.

Unfortunately, being incorrigably pacifist is drilled down into our core and as a society and nation, we have suffered from that attitude.
srh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 17:42   #85
BHPian

Just look at the 4 th video at 0:20 seconds where the auto driver smashes the glass and yells in kannada :

Kannada: " yen hang odstiddiya ?"
Translation: Why are you driving like that ?

Kannada: "car ready madsu."
Translation: Get the car ready ( mostly meant repairing the car)

Kannada: "gud bittu hange bartiya ?"
Translation: After hitting you have come without bothering ?

I guess it is a clear case of hit and run by the car guy. He must have hit another car and ran away. Looks like he was chased and caught by auto drivers.
n_naik is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 17:49   #86
BHPian

If the car is having an outside licence plate, the autowallahs could have spoken in another language which the car driver could have understood. Otherwise, car driver would just see some angry men shouting at him without understanding.
arpan_spark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 18:27   #87
BHPian

Both sides may be guilty as the entire information isn't posted transparently. Bangalore's auto drivers are trigger happy and can get provoked, frustrated and can get aggressive at the smallest of things. Best option is to swallow your pride and walk away unless you are dead sure you aren't at fault and have strong support else rapid escalation could happen and several auto drivers gang up to teach you "moral" lessons. They start foul mouthing real quick.

But, things are now changing with the newer generation coming in. Uber/Ola connection has also brought a change in these drivers with them picking a thing or two about how to handle customers better.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 18:41   #88
BHPian

I too have disabled Audio in my dashcam, the reasons are many,

1) Privacy - What I talk with my family, friends & colleagues is a private matter

2) No Audio, More Storage - People who have video editing knowledge will know

3) A picture is worth a thousand words - Audio is secondary, in my case it is negligible

Very Important Point: I have a dashcam for my own safety, not for recording some Crazy Auto or Taxi or Bike users abuses and making a playlist out of it. Simply put, It's My Car & It's my Dashcam !

Most of the people are still replying reading only the main post but not the additional information post (post no 23, link here (Bangalore: My car was vandalised by autorickshaw drivers)) done by Moderator Aditya.

Quote:
He must have hit another car and ran away. Looks like he was chased and caught by auto drivers.
Seriously, I thought the autos were driven by Vigilantes - now I understood that they are our next South Indian Superstars !
Thyag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 19:51   #89
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: This topic has been discussed enough. Please report this post in case someone has something new & substantial to add to the discussion. Thanks.
Eddy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 07:11   #90
Team-BHP Support

PearlJam reports the following:

Quote:
This is now reported in the media

https://www.news18.com/viral/bengalu...e-8825744.html
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com