Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 18:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
A kid of 12 years hardly knows anything at all.
This may be off-topic, but i beg to disagree with this statement.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:17   #17
BHPian

its really a shame that such things do happen in our country , but eventually its the kid who committed the act and the kid who suffered who will pay a price- the idiotic /lunatic parents will most likely get off easy-- has anyone noticed the number of people in our country riding with the whole family on our state highways with a barely 2-3 year old child sitting on the tank- in my eyes that is criminal too

Last edited by abhijit 2284 : 5th September 2007 at 18:19. Reason: incomplete comments
Old 5th September 2007, 18:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one of the saddest things I ever saw.

A beloved child has been taken from its parents and family, who are now left to grieve for ever.

A twelve-year old, probably not old enough to realise what driving means, will know know for the rest of their lives that they killed another child.

Unless the child is a completely arrogant thicko, surely that is punishment enough?

As for the parents, or whoever was in charge of that vehicle: it is they who should be prosecuted for the most serious charge available. It is they who are responsible, just as if they had done it themselves.

It is one thing to be too young to see a danger and a responsibility. It is another to be too arrogant or stupid, in adult life to do so.

I'm sorry if I offend those fellow members here who drive their big 4*4s sensibly and do not use them as a statement of right of way and self importance --- but how is that I'm not surprised it was a Qualis?
Old 5th September 2007, 18:19   #19
BHPian

when we have 14-15yr olds going to college these days, i find it a bit hard to believe that a 12yr old did not know what he was doing is wrong.

im pretty sure the parents didnt hold a gun to his head and asked him to drive.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:21   #20

I saw it on the news in the morning really sad. I remember there was a kid age 9 who was driving in bangalore and it was aired on tv and as soon as it was aired the cops went and fined the father for letting his son drive on the roar. this kid could not reach the peddals so the gr8 father had modified the peddals for this stunt. just as someone had said the parents should be put in behind bars.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Driving underage on a private roads/fields is fine .. on a public road
And being in a car with a 12yr old at the wheel is stupidity.

Condolences to the family of the departed.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:36   #22
BHPian

this is just horrible! this is very sad news, i wonder what other steps the court will be taking!

IMHO the parents will mosstly be put on trial - sending a 12 year oold to juvenialle is prity harsh i must say, the kid must be mentally disturbed at this point so will the kids parents!

HARSH REALITY parents dont ever let you child drive, if he is not of legal age!
Old 5th September 2007, 19:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

All of us have different views on this. BUT this incident is a very serious one. A 12 yr old has to be kept in control by the parents. I never had access to the families cars / bikes / scooters when I was that age.

I am now 26 yrs old and it has been 8 years sice I have been driving, I have driven all over India and all my cars have done clogged tens of thousands of km's. I am currently based in Agra and keep frequenting to Delhi every 10 days or so.

It is so very very difficult now to drive on Delhi roads nowadays as most of you may agree. It scares the **** out of me when I am in crowded areas where these blueline buses and speeding cars cross you. Then what in the he** would a 12 yr old do in a Panicky situation ?
And that too in a Qualis.

The result is this 3 yr old's death !! Very very Sad !! :(

Last edited by vkochar : 5th September 2007 at 19:03.
Old 5th September 2007, 20:16   #24
BHPian

Who should pay the price is a debatable issue, whether the 12 year old or the parents. I will not make any comments on this as I do not know the full story, did the kid take drive with or without the parents knowledge, was it the first time, etc.But I think the one point we all agree on is that the kid had NO business to be behind the wheel in the first place. Justice has to be done. If people keep saying he has learnt his lesson.....who will teach this lesson to the thousands of others underage drivers and their parents??? What lesson will they learn?
This is what they will learn ....They will see that the law is hopeless in this regards and any kid can drive underaged. In case something happens then no problem, the law will just dish out a small punishment.

When I was in school, and I broke the rules, I felt bad and sorry. But that did not mean that I was not punished. Seeing the punishment others learn that if they also do a similar thing, they too will be punished.

By law, a case of Involuntary Manslaughter should have been registered. But against whom is the question. I'm not sure what is the legal age for be charged with such crimes. So possibly if he is under the legal age, the police would either book him for a lesser charge or charge the parents, or driver if they were with him when the incident happened.
Old 5th September 2007, 21:16   #25
rks
BANNED

It takes *years* to fully develop the correct reflexes for driving safely in all situations. Very few people realize this fact. Parents are fully advised to be cautious when handing over the keys even to an 18+ year old with a legitimate license. I would recommend that an experienced driver accompany the 18+year old at least for a few months, if not for a year, before letting him drive alone.

Going by the book, it may appear that the inexperienced driver has enough skills to handle all situations. But remember that he has never been tested in many, many situations that we experienced drivers have faced and his reflexes in such situations is still an unknown factor. Even we who are experienced seldom recognize this fact because we do a *lot* of things correctly even without making a conscious effort; so we may be fooled into believing that driving safely is not all that much of a big deal. But the fact is that for the inexperienced youngster, there are many *new* situations in which he has to make a *conscious* effort to react and he could easily get into trouble.

This 12-year old must have impressed his parents with his driving skills. The proud parents may have been fooled into believing that the 12-year old has matured into a fully qualified driver. I only wish that they had learnt their lesson without such tragic consequences.
Old 5th September 2007, 21:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Really shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such kids and parents should be punished not only should the kid be granted a license anytime in the future,but also the parents should also be fined.

guys,even i turned 18 this year only and parents should understand that only when a kid is legally allowed he should learn.I am not prasing my parents,but my dad would not let me touch the wheel at anycost.He promised me to buy me a car when a get a license....so on my 18th b'day he booked a car for me and handed me the car only after i was granted a permanent license after the usual,one month of learning period.

dont these parents love their children????Today the life and career of that 12 year old is finished.i mean so many cases against him,he'll spend more time in courts and jail then in schools and colleges.
Old 5th September 2007, 22:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

I just saw this whole news on a National News channel.

Story is like this - Qualis is a yellow plate cab. Owner of the Cab ( father of kid ) had no idea kid is driving ( hmmm... debatable )

Kid was accompanied by his driver, kid tells driver to give him the car, driver refuses, kid gets angry, asks again & again ( driver gives up )

Kid gets the keys, starts driving - after 2 minutes , starts going towards heavy traffic area, gets nervous and rams into a '' chaat thela '' ( local sweets shop ) and kills a 3 yr old. End result - both get arrested but driver also gets the blame.

Now you decide who is at fault - I think the Kid & the parents will get the blame, however driver cannot be ruled out also !!
Old 5th September 2007, 22:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

i wanst allowed to drive till i was 19 iirc , i kinda resented it then but wouldnt have it anyother way now and am glad that i held off till then
Old 6th September 2007, 01:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Going by the book, it may appear that the inexperienced driver has enough skills to handle all situations.
By what I have seen of Indian driving tests, the new driver has barely any skill at all.

The news update seems to show that we have a spoilt brat here.

But, hey! Being a spoilt brat at 12 is no reason to have the rest of his life ruined.

The driver was not a suitable person to be in charge of the child.

All this stuff is very easy to say with hindsight --- but what concious individual gives the keys of a car to a 12 year old?

My dad, by the way, let me drive around fields when I was probably younger than that. There was no other car, person or animal in the field at the time.
Old 6th September 2007, 02:31   #30
BHPian

Well, I am 22 now. I started driving 1 month before I turned 18. My father took me to an empty plot around 6 kms from our place at 6 in the morning for a few days. When I turned 18, got my license. Had to wait 6 more months for my own car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks