Team-BHP - Inter state travel problem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Inter state travel problem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/28980-inter-state-travel-problem.html)

Guys, need your suggestions.
Last time while travelling from Delhi to Punjab, we had used a private car(this had a private number plate and not the yellow taxi number plates). On the return journey, we were stopped at a checkpost and the driver was asked to pay a hefty fine. Even when he said that it was his friend's car and belonged to common friends, he was told that one is not allowed to use any friend's car just like that,and that he could be using it for commercial purposes and so he had to pay a fine.
Any idea on what the actual funda is? From now on is it advisable to take more expensive taxis vis-a vis the private car operators?

Thanks

well if you hired a taxi with a private number then it is against the law on the part of the taxi owner. Using a private vehicle for commercial purposes is illegal.

the cop might have got to know somehow that its a private car, i use a private taxi.... next time be sure to remember the persons name and address on the RC, and if a cop catches, tell him that its your friends car and he's my driver. no probs!

Especially on a long journey, it is surely a good idea to have a copy of the car's papers with you.

Once, many years back, I was with a friend, late night, in London. he was stopped by police who said that 'a random check' had shown that the car belonged to an elderly woman, so they wondered why it was full of four young men?

He immediately confirmed this, gave her name an address, showed her insurance documents and was able to easily persuade them that he had, legitimately borrowed the car.

But how did these checkpoint guys know that you were paying for the car/driver?

I guess they just gave themselves the benefit of the doubt, so they could collect money!

That's the point guys. I need clarity on what the actual rule is? On saying that the car is borrowed from a friend , they said that under law you can't borrow a car from anyone other than your immediate family.
If the car has been borrowed from a friend , then the friend has to be in the car otherwise you can't drive it.
Is that the rule?Does anyone know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhap (Post 576219)
That's the point guys. I need clarity on what the actual rule is? On saying that the car is borrowed from a friend , they said that under law you can't borrow a car from anyone other than your immediate family.
If the car has been borrowed from a friend , then the friend has to be in the car otherwise you can't drive it.
Is that the rule?Does anyone know?

Hogwash!! The greedy cops have taken you for a ride by playing on your ignorance. You should have asked them to quote the respective law that prevents you from borrowing a pal's car.
Next time it happens, tell 'em you are recording their statements on a video (if you have a cell phone that records), and will sue them if their starements are false.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhap (Post 568003)
Guys, need your suggestions.
Last time while travelling from Delhi to Punjab, we had used a private car(this had a private number plate and not the yellow taxi number plates). On the return journey, we were stopped at a checkpost and the driver was asked to pay a hefty fine. Even when he said that it was his friend's car and belonged to common friends, he was told that one is not allowed to use any friend's car just like that,and that he could be using it for commercial purposes and so he had to pay a fine.
Any idea on what the actual funda is? From now on is it advisable to take more expensive taxis vis-a vis the private car operators?

Thanks

AFAIK, there is no specific rule that you cannot use your friend's car, but then if that is left unchecked there would be no taxis in india. All cabs would be running on private licenses & saying that All Indians are My Brothers, Sisters & friends, right ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 576315)
Hogwash!! The greedy cops have taken you for a ride by playing on your ignorance. You should have asked them to quote the respective law that prevents you from borrowing a pal's car.
Next time it happens, tell 'em you are recording their statements on a video (if you have a cell phone that records), and will sue them if their starements are false.

Good as this may sound it may not be a great way to get out of the situation. Easier to state that you are related to the person to whom the car belongs - call him/her and hand the constable the mobile. IMHO try and avoid confrontation with such cops.

I forgot the clause, and don't know where to find it online, But Motor Vehicles Act says that, if a private car is being driven by some person other than the Owner, and the Owner is not present in the car, the driver/occupants have to carry an authorisation letter from the owner of the vehicle with them.

IMHO you were lucky, that the driver ended up with just a fine for using a private car for rental purpose, and was not charged with Grand Theft Auto. That would heve created lots of hassel on road for all of you.

Grand Theft Auto --- sounds rather American. Is that really what it is called in India?

lol: Well trying to describe it, thats the phrase that came to my mind, Too much Movies I suppose.

Nobody bothers you with a borrowed car unless the cop is sure that its being used as a private taxi(which they can make out) and you/driver wont just give up so easily if you know you are right, thats how it works.

man this happened to me too in sangli when i and my friends went on goa tour form Hyderabad, the cop stops checks every possible loop hole to fine me, i presented all the papers, all five in my accent viva crdi were wearing seat belts for safety and to avoid hassles , and finally when he ran out of options,
he shows me a rule book in marati which is greek and latin to me, and says that i am not allowed to take my friends in my car only my family members should use the car, and asked me to pay a fine of 5000bucks after a couple of hours of negotiation we paid him 300 and left!
its just to make money that these guys trouble you was a very bad experience though as we ended loosing 2 hours of our precious journey time!

This is rediculous, I can take whoever I wish, in my car, Who the hell are the cops to decide who rides with me in my car??? You GOT royally framed my freind @rider

@sumitkalindi
i first was firm from my side, refused all the crap thrown at me by the cop and negotiated for two hours and just had enough, paid him the 300 finally and left, dint have the patience, should have filmed the incident and publicized this for the cop to learn a lesson but dint strike then as we were all frustrated!