Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 16:02   #46
BHPian

Guys why to blame swift !!!

I dont know whether you guys remeber it or not. 4-5 months back there was a similar incedent happed in bangalore mysore higway. 2 youngsters got killed when a brand new skoda octavia crashed at high speed.

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 8th October 2007 at 16:13.
Old 8th October 2007, 16:09   #47
BHPian

its really sad to see such young people driving wrecklessly. may their souls rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
My impression also is that the Swift is nowhere near as maneuverable as my Santro, based on my Pune-Mumbai drives. The Swift should not be given to youngsters as it is apparently more difficult to control at high speed. They should start with cars like Santro or Alto, which are much easier cars to drive.
how drunk were u when u wrote this? really dude! if u think the santro handles better than the swift u really need some professional help.
Old 8th October 2007, 16:23   #48
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
how drunk were u when u wrote this? really dude! if u think the santro handles better than the swift u really need some professional help.
That is not what I said, but have it your way. I do not want to get drawn into any futile arguments with you on this thread. I am very happy with the way *my* Santro handles, and I drive it every week on the Pune-Mumbai-Pune route. I can safely let you know that my car will not oversteer unless I am criminally negligent in maintaining the car, especially tyres. I think Santro is a safer car than Swift for beginners. That's all I have to say to you.
Old 8th October 2007, 16:24   #49
BHPian

I want to ask all a simple Q,

Which car do you think will save the occupants when crashed front/sideways at a speed of 140 ?

How many of you will be able to avoid the collision if something appears in front of you maybe (10 yards) while driving at 140 ? Maybe you will not hit the object but something else, you may oversteer and the car could topple ?

Instead of debating if Swift is an unsafe car, with stock or upsize tyres, without or with ABS, with or without Airbags, Will you bet YOUR life on these safety features and drive at 140, 160 and I read in another post 190 ?

SX4 at 190, with all the safety features in the world thrown in, God forbid if rams into something, I doubt there will be much of the car left leave alone the occupants, so the fact is

Drive Sensibly, let others go ahead if they want to race with you, you don't want to be the first one to die in a race, do you ?
Old 8th October 2007, 16:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Shankyz, very well said & I agree with you 100%. May the kids RIP, what a waste of lives though. I wonder how many more of these will we see - its almost a feeling of deja vu, remember the Four Bungalows crash a while back? And we'll never know what actually happened I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I want to ask all a simple Q,
Which car do you think will save the occupants when crashed front/sideways at a speed of 140 ?
You slipped up on that one though, the answer's very simple - RKS's Santro!
Old 8th October 2007, 16:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
You slipped up on that one though, the answer's very simple - RKS's Santro!
Sure, if I omit the k, so 140 mph (meters per hour) is a piece of cake for Santro...
Old 8th October 2007, 16:49   #52
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Sure, if I omit the k, so 140 mph (meters per hour) is a piece of cake for Santro...
There are two issues to be considered here. One is the issue you raised, namely, that *if* one were to get into an accident at 140 kmph, which car is safest? Sure, in this case the Swift is safer than Santro, SX4 is safer than Swift, Skoda Octavia is safer than SX4, etc.

A second aspect you should consider is: Which car is less likely to be crashed when driven fast by an inexperienced driver? In this case I would unhesitatingly vote for Santro (provided it is well-maintained). But that is just my personal opinion, don't take it too seriously.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:23   #53
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
its really sad to see such young people driving wrecklessly. may their souls rest in peace.
Did they drive wrecklessly? They wrecked their lives, their car, the lives of their loved ones, the public utility pole, ... !

Every once in a while, over and over and over again, the immaturity of youth gets into its vehicles (sometimes under the influence...) and in a wild party state of mind, drives off into the night at wanton, breakneck speeds.

The treacherous darkness of the wee hours after midnight, combined with the senselessness of speed thrills, claims another set of innocent lives.

Another accident whilst sensible people were sleeping away the previous day's fatigue.

And in light of day, our world intellects out the wisdom of what they should have done and shouldn't have done.

Amen. May their souls rest in peace.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:34   #54
BHPian

Remember that the international version of the Swift is a different car from the Indian version, so what applies to one need not necessarily apply to the other
My guess is they are more or less the same in terms of the design and safety features.But you get an even bigger engine abroad and its a VVT 1.5L

Quote:
Which car is less likely to be crashed when driven fast by an inexperienced driver? In this case I would unhesitatingly vote for Santro.
I agree that the visbility could be better in the santro because it is marginally taller than the SWIFT; but dont you think being taller,for an inexerienced diver things can go out of hand when he is taking a sharp turn??
Old 8th October 2007, 17:53   #55
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
My guess is they are more or less the same in terms of the design and safety features.But you get an even bigger engine abroad and its a VVT 1.5L
With the more powerful engine, there could be differences in the suspension set-up, tyres, brakes and so on. Maybe the ground clearance will be lower for the international version? I am not sure, though.
Quote:
I agree that the visbility could be better in the santro because it is marginally taller than the SWIFT; but dont you think being taller,for an inexerienced diver things can go out of hand when he is taking a sharp turn??
In principle you are right in that the light tall-boy should be more prone to toppling than a heavier car. Perhaps accident statistics will tell the answer here.

But my personal experience is that the Santro corners very well, especially with 5J allloys/tubeless tyres. It has a great suspension and power steering. The only issue I had was while cornering hard on bumpy roads (especially on those series of small bumps designed to act as speed-breakers), in which case I found the rear to be sliding when on 4J stock wheels and tubetype tyres. After the switch to alloys/tubeless tyres this problem is more or less under control.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:56   #56
BHPian

Horrific Crash... May the souls of the departed rest in peace & the survivors recover from the near death experience... It goes without saying '' Speed Thrills....But Kills..."
Old 8th October 2007, 17:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to read this accident, thats one horrible deadly crash.

May their soul rest in place.

No car can prevent If we blindly hit strong poles or any big tree.

But looking into this picture damage is too much beyond thinking which indicates Maruti never concentrate to make well built car. Most of the Maruti cars are light on pocket but when it comes to safety its disaster.

Swift/SX4 have ABS/AirBag but such accident need solid build which Swift/SX4 lack in that department.

If its Santro in place of Swift I am sure damage would have been less that this because of Santro's better build and strong brakes.

Only youngersters and people who blindly trust Swift think Swift has good safety feature but it lacks folks it lacks, be sure to drive your carefully.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:09   #58
BANNED

Quote:
A second aspect you should consider is: Which car is less likely to be crashed when driven fast by an inexperienced driver? In this case I would unhesitatingly vote for Santro (provided it is well-maintained). But that is just my personal opinion, don't take it too seriously
Im sure no one will take that seriously at all ...

OT : rks @ can we somehow see a video of you driving a santro in the so called ghat section at the high speeds that you claim you and your car do on them corners with ultra low tyre pressure . And if you wondering who shall dop the shooting , im sure a few of the Pune gang would be more than happy to take up the duty . This ways we all can learn and see how safe and sturdy the santro is , coz we sure as hell think its very unstable at high speeds on corners .
Old 8th October 2007, 18:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
There are two issues to be considered here. One is the issue you raised, namely, that *if* one were to get into an accident at 140 kmph, which car is safest? Sure, in this case the Swift is safer than Santro, SX4 is safer than Swift, Skoda Octavia is safer than SX4, etc.

I don't mean which car is safer? At 140 Kmph, none of them are, but thats my own opinion and I won't risk my life with any CAR at 140.

Quote:
A second aspect you should consider is: Which car is less likely to be crashed when driven fast by an inexperienced driver? In this case I would unhesitatingly vote for Santro (provided it is well-maintained). But that is just my personal opinion, don't take it too seriously.
I really don't know what you mean here, every car has equal chance of getting crashed in the hands of a novice.

Nothing serious, I am sorry for the two young people who died, but it's sad to see the youngsters driving in a reckless and carefree manner, or may be I am getting Older.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th October 2007 at 18:45.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine had seen the car after the crash.. it was heavily performance modded with k&n filters and NOS.. the 2 other cars were a lancer and a city.. they were racing big time.. R.I.P.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks