Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 00:41   #1
BHPian

Almost had an accident

I am not a great driver, and try to drive carefully. But like everyone else, I too try to take short cuts. There is break in the median opposite to the Apollo Hospital on Bannerghata Road. I had to cut across the traffic to the right and take the U turn. After cutting across the traffic and starting the U turn, I saw a maroonish car approaching me from the left on the other side. I decided to cut it off and complete the U turn, because I was under pressure because of the honking of the vehicles who I had already cut off. Maroonish colors, I decided for some strange reason, are old old cars, and I thought that I could complete my U turn before he reached me. To my dismay, as I discovered a couple of minutes later, it turned out to be a Honda City which could not have been travelling at less than 100kmph. He had to swerve to his left and if there had been any vehicle to his left, he would have to have hit either me or the vehicle. He came to rest about 50 feet from where I was and only then I saw him. Before I started the U turn, which was when I saw the car approaching me, he was about 30 feet from me. So the speed at which he was travelling was extremely high. Of course, that doesn't excuse the way I took the U turn.

I passed him by and he caught up with me and wanted to shout at me. I was looking at him guiltily, but did not see any point in apologizing. What was done was done. I am taking this opportunity to say and that to whoever he might be.

I will never every take that U turn again.

I am also considering making a personal rule for myself, that is:
Never exceed 55kmph in the city and
never exceed 85kmph in the highway.

If anybody has any comments about my above rule, please let me know.
Thanks!!
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thank God nothing untoward happened,mkuruvil.
I've experienced this myself,in our very own Bangalore. Probably 6-7 years ago,at the Airport Rd Junction close to the Shanti Sagar (towards the Domlur side). I was trying to make a U-turn and head towards the Airport. A comfortable turn it is,and with very little traffic the last thing I expected was a car zooming in from the lights towards me. It almost seemed like the moron didn't see me,or wanted to fool around. 100ft..75ft..40ft,and there were no signs of stopping.!!
I was mid-way through the U-turn,and being a cautious driver,I made sure I complete the turn smoothly. I could only stare in disbelief when I see the guy showing no respect for another person on the road.
In a fraction of a second,I had to put the pedal to the metal,and screech!! managed to turn around completely,and that very second the guy zooms past,as if nothing ever existed in his path. From that day on,I decided to wait until all oncoming traffic had passed,and only then proceed.

Well..some people don't possess an 'upper storey'.. no point blaming them. God did spend very less time making them.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:37   #3
BHPian

mkuruvil, that was indeed close..Glad to know you're safe.

Drive safe.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the rule, i dont quite agree. On a higway, most of the time i would be above the said speed limit.

When i see a person about to take a U turn, and if i want to go before he does his turn, i just blare the hron a couple of times. There are still people whom i believe are deaf, as they show no sign of me honking the horn.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:10   #5
BHPian

No point blaming guys going straight. Whoever is taking a U turn is expected to wait and commit to turn only after making sure it is safe. Ahead of the speed limit I suggest you make a rule for yourself to safe turns making sure you don't come in the path of oncoming traffic.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
Bangalore Traffic will make sure of this...

Quote:
Dont worry. you will break this one...

Abhi
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

@mkuruvil, have to appreciate you for owning up to your mistake, which most of us would not do normally (the other guy is always at fault, according to us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil
I think this rule should benefit you in more than one way. Not only does it give you enough reaction time (compared to being at higher speeds), but will also give you better FE.

However, do check whether a speed of 55kmph in your city is legal. In Chennai, I think it is like 40kmph or so - ofcourse it is another matter that no one gives a hoot about it.
Old 16th November 2007, 12:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will never every take that U turn again.

If anybody has any comments about my above rule, please let me know.
Thanks!!
Saying that you will never take a U turn is... At some point of time, u may need to ta a u turn not now down the lane may be 3/6/9/12 months later or even a couple of years later.

Never exceed 55kmph in city: Bangalore traffic will not allow to do so. But it is difficult if you are driving in late night where nobody will be available on roads. You need to drive fast during that time. Otherwise, you will attract the muggers...they will chase you and catch you.

Never exceed 85kmph in the highway: I do not believe this. You have to do >85kmph on highways otherwise you will lose time.

Boss, take some decisions which are adhearable. These kind of decisions may not be taken for the good of you. Sorry I have used some harsh words but this is the reality and we have to accept it.
Old 16th November 2007, 13:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
No point blaming guys going straight. Whoever is taking a U turn is expected to wait and commit to turn only after making sure it is safe. Ahead

Why?

does it mean that as long as I am going straight, I can go as fast as I want.

The other car driver was lucky that it was not a bus or a van taking a U-Turn.

forget rules and all that for a moment, think practical driving in India.

The faster you are the lesser the time, to anticipate and warn.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

That was really sweet of you to own up the mistake. Honesty is a virtue that is fast disappearing.

Be careful next time, its always better to be late than never!
Old 16th November 2007, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Apologizing generally relieves everyone concerned. Works most of the times, except where it involves an over-inflated ego at the other end who gets turned on by an apology and takes it to be a green signal to attack.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice of you to express your guilt on a forum & the rules you have put to yourself are just starters. Add "Never judge a car's speed by it's colour' to that list.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Taking a U-turn in City roads is a tedious task, as a rule the preference for the road you want to join is always for the oncoming traffic, so you need to wait till all the oncoming vehicles pass by and then complete your u-turn.

But there are morons esp Cabbies, Auto-wallahs who care a damn for the oncoming traffic and take a u-turn in haste, risking a collision with oncoming vehicles if they don't brake in time, also the same morons if they see someone taking a U-turn from far, instead of slowing down to allow the vehicle to complete u-turn, will rather speed-up to cross the road before the other vehicles takes the turn!
Old 16th November 2007, 14:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Taking a U-turn in City roads is a tedious task, as a rule the preference for the road you want to join is always for the oncoming traffic, so you need to wait till all the oncoming vehicles pass by and then complete your u-turn.

But there are morons esp Cabbies, Auto-wallahs who care a damn for the oncoming traffic and take a u-turn in haste, risking a collision with oncoming vehicles if they don't brake in time, also the same morons if they see someone taking a U-turn from far, instead of slowing down to allow the vehicle to complete u-turn, will rather speed-up to cross the road before the other vehicles takes the turn!
Perfect observation. I feel like buying a Mahindra Axe and axing such guys off the road!!
Old 16th November 2007, 15:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Heavens for being safe "mkuruvil" and an excellent gesture to commit yourself to some soul searching and rules in general.

I would like to add that whenever you decide to take a U-TURN as one does is to blink the indicator, do make it a habit of signalling through your driver's window showing that you are taking a U-TURN with your right hand index finger showing that you are indeed taking a U-TURN. Apparently with such hand signals on top of the indicators always make people more aware and respect it @ first sight and thats @least what I have found out in Bangalore and again, never break rules in order to get a gain of a few minutes because those few minutes gained sometimes will gain you towards your death trap.

And for guys honking inspite of your indications and the right of way for you to take one, DONT CARE MUCH as sticking to rules is of a higher priority rather than a Tailgated Moron's honk up your back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks