Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition

I had been seeing reports on Kerala Roads this post monsoon while in Mumbai. But it has to be seen to be believed. During the past week I have been travelling in Kerala (North side). Many places roads do not exist. The pot holes r so big, it is difficult to find the tarred part. Travelling by cars and lesser sized vehicles is dangerous both to passengers and the vehicles. I am sure the road accident mortalities must have decreased considerably as no vehicle can go fast. I dread to imagine the case of the Trichur - Palghat NH section ( yet to visit ), bec. it is a unanimous view that this stretch is the worst in Kerala presently.
From the picture available, not sure whether the State Govt. can cope with the manifold repair works required, with the rains still pouring in all its fury on most days.
Old 12th November 2007, 08:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

well...its a pity...i think no govt has taken so much beating from the HC in such a short span of time!! so you can imagine the pro-activeness (excluding hartals (formerly known as bandhs)). well according to latest explanantion by the CM, rains are nature's boon..so we will have to live with its woes (like potholes, floods etc)...no cure...
Old 12th November 2007, 09:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are NO roads in the thrissur - palaghat sction, I seriously advise you not to take that route. the regulars doing bangalore - cochin etc are taking the wayanad route. take the shoranur deviation if possible.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think they have to get it repaired shortly with the Sabarimala season around the corner. Thousands of vehicles pass through these stretches and the roads have to be cleared by then.

I plan to drive chennai to chunkapara (another 45kms from kottayam) in Decemeber. Do post your updates on the conditions.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
There are NO roads in the thrissur - palaghat sction, I seriously advise you not to take that route. the regulars doing bangalore - cochin etc are taking the wayanad route. take the shoranur deviation if possible.
I dont have another alternative detour apart from taking the trichy, kamban, teni route from chennai.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I dont have another alternative detour apart from taking the trichy, kamban, teni route from chennai.
Well, you could try Palaghat-Shornur-Trichur. The road is much better, but 20 odd Kms longer.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:28   #7
BHPian

Yep, the Thrissur-Palaghat section is in a very bad state.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
yes, the best route would be chennai-trichy-dindigul-teni-cumbum-kumily/thekkady-kottayam
Old 12th November 2007, 14:46   #9
BHPian

The Palakkad - Ottappalam - Shornur - Thrissur stretch is in very good condition, except 2-3 kms on both ends of Ottappalam town. That's a very good alternative to NH 47. The road is pretty wider also. Also heard that there is a way passing through Thiruvilvamala-Chelakara route to bypass the Plkd- Tsr section. Not sure about condition of this route as most of the inter-state buses and trucks are taking this route now.
Old 12th November 2007, 20:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
The Palakkad - Ottappalam - Shornur - Thrissur stretch is in very good condition, except 2-3 kms on both ends of Ottappalam town.
When was the last time you took this route, Just looking for recent developments. planning to drive in december.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there some plan to have atleast 60% of the roads in Kerala to be done up by December?
Apparently the route from Calicut to B'lore is pretty good,except for a 20km stretch.The worst segment is in the bandipur forest.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
When was the last time you took this route, Just looking for recent developments. planning to drive in december.
i guess abhilash is right, steeroid suggested the same route for me to drive down from cochin to coimabtore, but unfortunately i could not take that route , so had to take the torturous route NH47 ( it is an understatement) to coimbatore.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
did it 2 weeks back in pouring rains apart from 3 stetches of couple of kms these are good roads. hopefully by dec these broken stretches also should be ready since they had started some work already.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:30   #14
BANNED

Did a drive to Coimby yesterday. The infamous Palghat-Trissur section is being repaired and it is better now. You'll be atleast happy to see the depth of potholes have decreased.
Old 12th November 2007, 23:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

yeah, the situation is bad, but i think its slowly improving. Last month, we needed bridges to reach from one end of a pothole to the other!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks