Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 00:34   #1

Drunken Banging on my Swift

Hi Friends,
Just wanted to share something with you guys about the accident that happens few days back, could not post earlier cos have been busy with work, in fact overloaded.
The other day while on the way back from my office at around 12:30 pm, near to KR Puram bridge, met with an accident.
Its a one way road, and some crazy guy just got of the bar totally drunk to the core, moved in the opposite direction, though being one way, came and hit directly on the driver side of my car.
I was driving at 60 with my seat belts on, and all glasses up.
I was safe not even a scratch on my body..
The other person first hit my car and then went and hit directly on to the bridge walls. Even he was well, with no injury.
I came out of the car and checked the damage it was bad, the tyre got busted, rims bent, bumper all broken, with the wiper liquid falling down.
I felt so helpless, with no reason of mine, my car got a bad shape.

The cops came immediately on the scene and started noting my car s and the other cars no, all the details etc.
Could not find a crane so left my car there itself and moved in the morning to the police station.
And guess what the other guy got his crane and ran away with his car..

And then the other day when i asked cops what about the other car, they say that he ran away, and i should have caught him and kept him in my custody till morning.

Anyways i filed the case against him for Drunken Driving and Another for Hit and Run case. I said u have the persons car and mobile and address and every information, then why dont you catch him, they say that he might have changed his car, or maybe his residence and it would take three months for them to trace him.

After hearing their crap, and after waiting for hours they gave me the FIR copy, and i come back home with my vehicle still in the police station, cos they insisted that only after the motor inspection is done, they would release the vehicle, i had no choice, left the vehicle there itself. The guy who towed the vehicle warned me that, the parts might get flicked, so i should remove everything that might of some value. I got my speakers and other utensils out. But still could not sleep for the entire night, was worried what if they stole some of the parts.
The other day i got the inspector, paid him 500 bucks (he asked for his fees guys)
AFter that towed the car to the bimal showroom whitefiled.
Total estimate came upto 30,000 and i had to cough up 3000 as my liability.
The car looks new now, they did a good job i must say cheers:

I went to the police station to check on the status, and now they say that they have arrested the driver and sent him to court, where he was charged 5000 bucks and then released. I was like just 5000 bucks and released, they said that s the maximum law can do.
Are they true guys, is that law, i mean this is crazy.
I hope they are not lying to me, and taken money from the other party and trying to close the case.
Is there any way i can sue that crazy drunken man, i just wana make his life impossible . Please let me know what can i do....
Let me know if you guys need more details.

Sorry for making it a long thread.
Please find the pics along.

Mods: Please move it to appropriate thread if not at correct location.

Excess smilies removed. Please go through board rules.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd November 2007 at 05:53.
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that you are fine. The damage is pretty bad!!! Could you please also post pics of the job that the whitefield guys did? My personal exp tells me that Maruti guys are good at their jobs. Well almost .
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

ouch that hurts, hope all well now.

TC
Jaggu
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:12   #4
BHPian

very sad to read this buddy.....
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Which car was the other person driving? What were the damages to it?
Also, which police station did you file the complaint with?
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Your Thread topic ...........................
No offence meant to you, it just looked funny.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

What car was the other driver driving?
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Your Thread topic ...........................
No offence meant to you, it just looked funny.
I felt the same thing, but considering the seriousness of the thread, resisted.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:43   #9
BHPian

That's a nasty impact and for no fault of yours but be thankful that both of you came out unharmed.

Somehow the whole police story just sounds suspicious. I don't know whether the cops were just joking when they said you should have caught him and kept him in your custody till morning (quoting from your post), that's quite an irresponsible statement from someone who's expected to help at that point.

Anyway, hope all goes well. Drive safe.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Was the offender driving a SUV ?

I am 200% sure that the cops have been to his house & taken a hefty sum & then let him go scott free. He has not gone to the court. If he had gone to the court, so would you. If you are serious about pursuing this, demand a copy of the order or at least the order number & date, else find out which court & pay a fee & take a copy of the order. I am sure it does not exist in which case go to the chief of police in bangalore with your copy of the FIR. They do see the public at appointed times.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

It really hurts to be involved in a mishap for no fault of yours!

Have least to say about our Police and judiciary, am sure the drunken guy would have greased their palms and got the case closed!

OT: Do avoid driving alone late nights, as lot of mugging incidents are happening off late.
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:00   #12
BHPian

do anybody's relation working in police and thats to in some higher positions, if yes please help coolstas... it can happen to all of us ... coolstats you should have catch hold that guy before he fled....

anyway atleast you are safe ... thats all mater the most..
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Opps thats bad! sorry for you dude.

"
I went to the police station to check on the status, and now they say that they have arrested the driver and sent him to court, where he was charged 5000 bucks and then released. I was like just 5000 bucks and released, they said that s the maximum law can do.
Are they true guys, is that law, i mean this is crazy."

This is why people dont hasitate to commit any crime!! as people can get away so cheaply... i think hi time for this countries law to get better!
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Do not expect anything from the law in such cases. By having any expectation of justice from police you are deluding yourself and it will cause you grief. So accept that police cannot do anything for you.

According to the motor vehicles act, only if the drunk driver had killed you, he would have needed to pay your family 50,000rs, and police would have arrested him, and the court would have sentenced him to jail for 6 months- 2 years.

Since nobody died or was injured, you he got away with minimum fine(best case scenario). But in all probability, the cops took a bribe from him(just like they did from you).

A guy once came from a side road and crashed into me. since he knew kannada, the police inspector at Jeevan Beema nagar police station took 100rs from me to give a letter that the matter was amiacably resolved between parties and no need of FIR is needed for insurance. At that time even the bystanders were after that guys life since he was driving so rashly and 2 people on the road who were behind me told the cops that the other guy was at fault.

After that incident I have decided that the law cannot do anything for me. In this country you are on your own. Many other members of this forum have had such experiences of being harassed by police for no fault of theirs.

The only thing you can do is be vigilant in future, and switch on the video recording in your mobile phone whenever dealing with police. This way you can have a very popular youtube video and if you are lucky you will get prime time space on Aaj Tak.

That said, my advice to you is move on. You got hit by 3000rs only, which is a good thing. In my case after insurance I had to pay 700rs. Also make a note that one ways are one ways only when their are cops around. When there are no cops, the bigger vehicle has the right of way
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After that incident I have decided that the law cannot do anything for me. In this country you are on your own. Many other members of this forum have had such experiences of being harassed by police for no fault of theirs.
And the number is still counting. There are many incidents which go unnoticed and unreported as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks