Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 12:45   #1
BHPian

My 08-Dec Jinx!

Last year on 08-Dec I met with an accident while driving my Fiesta. This year I was driving my friend's Ikon on the same date and met with an accident. Not a huge one like last yrs but significant damage! :-(

I was in the right lane and some one was driving with one side wheels on the right lane and the other set on the left lane due to which I was on the extreme right! To add to this the "stone" barricade started at that point in the road. The first stone was ON the road for whatever reason blocking me from moving ahead and I had to slow down. Immediately I heard a noise and looked back a FORCE Tempo traveller hit me from behind on the left tail lamp area. Then I came to know he hit another Tavera and tried to manouver to the right and escape and while attempting that he hit me! :-(

Spent 4 hours on the road and police station and got a useless "Insurance claim certificate". The cab belongs to "OM Sakthi Travels" who run around 300 buses for various IT companies in Chennai including my company. I was with a friend and called up one more for support. Though the travels guy who came to the spot denied to give any compensation and asked to file FIR if we want. I had an argument with him and finally we got to the station where he gave some money to the police and the police guy spoke in favor of him. I tried to explain but he didnt listen and gave one document title "Certificate" and asked me to claim from our car's insurance. Weird! I can as well do that without any document from the police.

Today morning I spoke to my friend's dad and he said he will use some influence to get the compensation. Waiting to see what happens..

The tavera is seen little ahead.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 10th December 2007 at 12:51.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Hmmmm... you tell me, that date happens to be my wedding anniversary, so your not alone in this buddy.

Ok, now kidding apart, I see there was nothing you could do to avoid the obstacle and it is purely the Tempo's fault. It's shocking that the Policemen turned in his favor. However wish you could wriggle out a compensation out of those good for nothing guys for I see a lot of plastic been damaged. That would hurt your wallet while at the insurance claim. All the best, hope it's solved soon.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

From another thread :

Quote:
My friend greases the palms of the two policemen, presumably to speak for us
and then i see this in your thread :

Quote:
finally we got to the station where he gave some money to the police and the police guy spoke in favor of him. I tried to explain but he didnt listen
And another thread titled :

Quote:
India Shining, I don't think so!
And i have to agree.

Looks like you would have no other option but not to drive on the 8th of Dec. But then again if you are sitting at home, there is no guarantee that the roof wont cave in.

Let it be, life goes on. I learnt that from experience.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

this is quite terrible. The tempo drivers are a menace. the bus drivers are equlally bad. My car is scratched, so i cut them bus drivers if they drive like idjots. the worst is - if they bang you - nothing happens to them !! :( sometimes i wish I had a tank!
LC - do you remember which company this cab was plying for? maybe we can put some pressure from that end?
Old 10th December 2007, 14:26   #5
BHPian

Those guys are from "OM shakti travels" like i mentioned in the first post. They do operate some 10 buses for my company too. I already heard from our folks that their service is quite bad and they are going to be pushed out in about a month's time! Trying through my office and through outsiders to get compensation from them. May be something will materialize in a day or two!

This OM shakti guys started their business just about 5-6 yrs back and have grown into a 300+ fleet of buses/cabs in this time thanks to IT companies in Chennai! And they tell us back that "We wont pay anything for the damage we caused"! :-)
Old 10th December 2007, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you would have no other option but not to drive on the 8th of Dec. But then again if you are sitting at home, there is no guarantee that the roof wont cave in.
Dont scare me! Next year I would prefer to stay at home and pray that nothing happens!
Old 10th December 2007, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats some bad news but you need not be afraid my friend because its seems the jinx is only with Ford vehicles(First the Fiesta then the Ikon) anyways this could merely be a coincidence but yes better be safe than sorry.
Old 10th December 2007, 15:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is no point going to the police for these transporters as they already bribe them and know them.(Unless you also have some outer influence)

Better to settle amicably or claim insurance.
Old 11th December 2007, 12:51   #9
BHPian

The standard answer from the commercial fleet outfits is you file the case and claim insurance. They also have set a limit to the out of pocket compensation, that is equal to the amount they would be expected to spend if they end up in court.

Long time ago, in 1996, my Padmini got hit by a fleet vehicle, and they guy gave the canned answer. The police also said the same thing. We had to take the Rs 1800 they gave, or go to court.

See, the other vehicle have no obligation to pay you compensation. The insurance is for that. His insuance co should pay you. Not him. You should file a claim upon him in a court and get his insurance pay.

No one will go that route, unless there is bodily injury etc.

In fact, if you have own damage cover, your insurance co can make their claim on the other guy's insurance. I don't know if this is done. My experience is that you will be advised to claim as if it is your own making. Maybe this is done to simplify paperwork.

Is there a resource on these things?
Old 12th December 2007, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

what if some fleet vehicle hits you, you get down - take your wheel spanner - and chuck it into their windshield, actually a stone from the road - wheel spanners are expensive!!! VERY EVIL SMILE!

what can they do?
Old 12th December 2007, 18:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
sometimes i wish I had a tank!
Hey madan, you actually drive one (atleast built like one, as said on tbhp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
what if some fleet vehicle hits you, you get down - take your wheel spanner - and chuck it into their windshield, actually a stone from the road - wheel spanners are expensive!!! VERY EVIL SMILE!
what can they do?
I would love to do that. But the problem is that while his hitting our car will be termed an 'accident', our breaking his windshield in retaliation would be termed 'wilful damage' or whatever the legalese is for such an act. Also, since there are lots of them plying round the city, what if they gang up against you ?

So, as I see it, the only way is to stay way away from them, ignoring ego, pride etc.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
So, as I see it, the only way is to stay way away from them, ignoring ego, pride etc.
Unfortunately, thats how the state opf affairs in our country has become. Everyone holds the city and its people to his own ransom, be it autowallahs, cabbies or even coolies.

@Sateesh, any updates?
Old 18th December 2007, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Back with updates! Ford estimated the damages @ Rs.30k! My friend's dad used some influence and got the travels guy agree to pay up the difference in the bill after insurance claim. :-)

He got some high officials talk to the SI of the police station and in turn he talked to the contact of the travels company and got it done. I met the travel guys along with my friend's dad and got the confirmation. Work is going on on the car now.

Will update once the work is complete (Ford mentioned 10 days but knowing ford service it will take more than 15 days).
Old 18th December 2007, 13:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Sateesh, what exactly were the extent of damages?
Old 18th December 2007, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Too bad buddy, glad that you were not hurt
All these guys are so expereinced in dealing with accidents they have a separate dept in their fleets (basicaly a bunch of thugs) who try to show muscle power and they also exactly know how people tend to react, so they profile the victims and act accordingly
for ex
if the cab hits a auto,
If they hit a car with a driver
Self driven car - Women driver, aged drivers, Young IT crowd
Govt Vehicle etc etc

BTW I know so much of this from people who operate fleets in bangalore.
There must be some legislations to ban any sort of organised threats, most importantly identification of such things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks