Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 15:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Enforcement/Red Cameras in Bangalore

Jan 5, 2008 - Overspeeding and jumping signals have become the norm on city roads. However, violators will no longer go scot-free. The roving eye of a Red Speed camera will grab an image of the vehicle’s registration number, and the penalty challan will reach the offender’s home.

On Saturday, Red Speed cameras were installed at five junctions. Inaugurating the cameras, governor’s adviser P K H Tharakan said, “Traffic violation enforcement system will reduce violations. With better traffic management, Bangalore can live up to its image as an international city.”

The cameras will capture two key violations - overspeeding and red-signal jumping.

The camera will capture the image and transfer it to the offence process office. At the automated traffic enforcement centre, the offences are stored in WORM (write once and read many) format on a DVD drive. The information can then be manually copied from it.

But does it work? During a pilot drive, the camera fixed on Cubbon Road recorded 8,000 violations in 15 days.

The five junctions are: Kamraja Road and Cubbon Road Junction; Hennur Road-Ring Road Junction; Deve Gowda Petrol Bunk Junction, CV Raman Road and new BEL Road Junction and 24th main JP Nagar Ring Road Junction.

Sources:1, 2
Old 7th January 2008, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good that they have installed cameras. We need to see whether this really works.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will work provided the cameras dont get stolen...lol.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The roving eye of a Red Speed camera will grab an image of the vehicle’s registration number, and the penalty challan will reach the offender’s home.

Ok its a good move,

My Doubts :

What if the offender has changed his residence after getting the vehicle, the penalty challan will reach his old address so what's the use of implementing these rules..
(As many of them stay in rented house,and they change houses for some or the other reasons) ?

The notice is been sent to the offender's house what action will be taken if he fails to pay ???

Last edited by praJEEP : 7th January 2008 at 15:33.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:31   #5
BHPian

I remember the time when traffic cops used to go around with a video cam in hand, shooting traffic violations. But that system never worked. I feel no system is gonna work unless the cops can get some pocket money out of it.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its the owners responsibility to communicate the change of address to the RTO.

Under these circumstances, the owner needs to payup when he decides to sell/ transfer the vehicle or needs to get something done in the paperwork (all challans will be kept pending in his file) and not to mention the fines above that.

It may take time to recover but cant escape it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Ok its a good move,

My Doubts :

What if the offender has changed his residence after getting the vehicle (As many of them stay in rented house,and they change houses for some or the other reasons) ?

The notice is been sent to the offender's house what action will be taken if he fails to pay ???
Old 7th January 2008, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok its a good move,

My Doubts :

What if the offender has changed his residence after getting the vehicle (As many of them stay in rented house,and they change houses for some or the other reasons) ?

Then the house owner will pay
Old 7th January 2008, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Its the owners responsibility to communicate the change of address to the RTO.
Quote:
It may take time to recover but cant escape it.
How many owners have these kind of practices dadu, affaik many of them would not have changed there mobile postpaid billing address to the new one.. ( its just negligence you know)...

Last edited by praJEEP : 7th January 2008 at 15:40.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:54   #9
BHPian

The cameras dont seem to work at night, the one on the ORR near hennur, appeared to be dead, it was pointed at the intersection facing diagonally to the ring road yesterday, was the same when I returned after 3 hours.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I remember the time when traffic cops used to go around with a video cam in hand, shooting traffic violations. But that system never worked. I feel no system is gonna work unless the cops can get some pocket money out of it.
Affaik cops used to get pocket money out of this method, the challan will be sent to the address, the offender has to go to to the nearest RTO traffic station, and handover the challan.. then the constable asks original driving licence please ( if you say no) then 100 bucks has to given to the constable, (if you say yes) here's my licence a seal and a signature in green pen will be imprinted on it. its better you know to throw 100 bucks on cops face and come away with the receipt rather than giving orginal licence to him and run around his back asking ( kodi sir pls kodi sir).
Old 7th January 2008, 16:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Affaik cops used to get pocket money out of this method, the challan will be sent to the address, the offender has to go to to the nearest RTO traffic station, and handover the challan.. then the constable asks original driving licence please ( if you say no) then 100 bucks has to given to the constable, (if you say yes) here's my licence a seal and a signature in green pen will be imprinted on it. its better you know to throw 100 bucks on cops face and come away with the receipt rather than giving orginal licence to him and run around his back asking ( kodi sir pls kodi sir).
You can pay the fine in a Bangaloreone cente
Old 7th January 2008, 16:10   #12
BHPian

I've seen the one on the 24th Main, JP Nagar junction since about 2 weeks. Every evening when the signal turns red for the traffic coming from Bannerghatta Road Junction towards Kanakpura Signal Junction a set of flashes goes off. I used to tell my wife and other friends that it is some camera fitted for traffic rules breaking but we couldnt locate the cam at all. A couple of days back we saw the cam and also we read the news piece and confirmed what I thought initially.

Its fitted onto an iron pillar and is secured in a iron housing. Looks very much like a pedestrian crossing signal.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You can pay the fine in a Bangaloreone center

bangalore one centers are now ajmat sir, but 3years back we had to go to the nearest RTO only.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:38   #14
BHPian

Good Initiative

This initiative is a very welcome development by our authorities.

What remains to be seen is the maintenance & execution .

I don't think, people will have problems to pay fines, when they are presented with the proof of their offense.

Those who are looking to dodge the fines can do so till the system catches with them. Shouldn't be long the way things are going on.

Cheers
Old 7th January 2008, 16:52   #15
BHPian

The situation in Delhi is soooooo bad that instead of cameras, they need to employ snipers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks