Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 04:00   #1
BHPian

Awful Zen crash near Jogeshwari

I forgot about this, was meaning to post earlier. On Saturday on my way from Pune to Mumbai, about 500m before the Jogeshwari Western Expressway entry (from Powai) saw this awful Zen crash.

It looked so unbelievable this is the first time I stopped to take a closer look at an accident site. The Zen was mashed up badly, crumpled like a tissue. I wanted more pics to capture the brutalness of the crash and the absurd condition of the car but phone decided to act up. Probably happened the night before. I would speculate a high speed crash, seems like impact from behind and can only pray that whoever was in the car survived.

I think accidents like this amplify how important it is to drive responsibly and why safety features like airbags and abs should be mandatory. No debate, just have it.

The Zen does look it could do with better build quality/safety features, the cabin space in this particular instance has crumpled in a way that definitely exposes the passenger to serious harm. Not a safe car at all. Quite shocking, IMHO.

Last edited by raul : 13th February 2008 at 04:19.
Old 13th February 2008, 04:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Looks like it got rammed by a much bigger vehicle from the right rear 3-quarters & did it fold like a tin can or what.

Let's hope the occupants survived this one, it looks nasty.
Old 13th February 2008, 04:27   #3
BHPian

The first time you see this you just go what the hell, the pics really don't do justice to the brutality of the crash. Is this a car or a toy. I was actually dumbfounded. Took me a minute to digest, then reverse and look closer.

I think for those of us who have the Zen, this should be an eye opener. The car is not safe, and overspeeding is definitely not recommended. Believe me you don't want to inside any car that can crumple like this.
Old 13th February 2008, 04:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

How do people say overspeeding, when the front of the car is actually unscathed. Okay I get it, overspeeding by the vehicle that hit this, or maybe this vehicle speeding in reverse.
Old 13th February 2008, 04:30   #5
BHPian

What the..

This looks like it was put in the crusher and mid-way the power went off.

I hope people survived that one.

Raul: i agree with you as zen is definitely a car to zip but is not safe enough.
Old 13th February 2008, 07:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is awful. This zen is obviously rear ended. Look at how the metal is shifted towards front. The rear wheels (the rear RHS wheel) is displaced towards the front (first pic).
Old 13th February 2008, 07:36   #7
BHPian

The amount of impact that Zen had been subject to from behind seems to be very high and it looks like that the speed difference between the Zen and the other vehicle would have been very high. Or Zen should have been stationary at the time of being hit.

Last edited by goldsun : 13th February 2008 at 07:37. Reason: spelling and grammer correction
Old 13th February 2008, 08:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

The impact looks like it was made at 45 deg. And probably the car was parked by the roadside with no occupants. Thank god for that. Seems like some maniac lost control of his speeding vehicle (most likely a large car or SUV) & rammed this parked car. hope the owner had full insurance on that one.
Old 13th February 2008, 14:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The impact looks like it was made at 45 deg. And probably the car was parked by the roadside with no occupants. Thank god for that. Seems like some maniac lost control of his speeding vehicle (most likely a large car or SUV) & rammed this parked car. hope the owner had full insurance on that one.

I agree, and the bigger vehicle was probably trying to overtake another vehicle by the left and did not notice this stationary zen. I never knew a zen could be crushed so badly.

I wonder whether the windshield was removed to get occupants out or just fell off on impact.
Old 13th February 2008, 14:52   #10
BHPian

Small cars have always seemed to be at the receiving end as far as safety is concerned and this is especially true when it comes to cars designed more than 10 years back. However it seems that this car has been hit really hard from the side. Any pics of the other car involved in this crash?
Old 13th February 2008, 14:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

would any other small car have done any better in such an impact ?

I'm not asking rhetorically- I'm curious as to what cars are safer. Since my indica got some major damage after a matiz rear ended me , I've been wondering, which car has the best safety in the sub 4-5L segment?

PS: any idea who/what hit the car ?
Old 13th February 2008, 14:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey as far as we are not aware of anyone injured why coment that zen is not safe.maybe the car absorbed all the impact and the ocupants were safe.but this seems to be a stationary car been hit from the sides and moved on to hit the rear right corner on to something else.
so there is no action from a driver who would have atleast braked or moved away from the maniac and the impact would have been much lesser.
crumbling of a car means that it had absorbed most of the force not that its not safe,
ram
Old 13th February 2008, 15:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sure there were no causalities in this one. The glass has been thrown out of the vehicle by impact.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:09   #14
BHPian

Hi guys, unfortunately I could not get more pics as my phone acted up, but I saw the inside and it wasn't pretty, most modern cars crumple leaving the cabin relatively intact and that's a good thing but the Zen has crumpled into itself leaving passengers in a very dangerous place.

The theory that it was hit while parked makes sense because any passenger would have had a very bad impact if inside, there was absolutely no space for a grown adult inside, and I did not see any signs of that.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:15   #15
BHPian

Hey, that's a terrible accident. Zen may have crumple zones, but not engineered to the extent where the passengers are safe.

Really hope the passengers were not in the car. Looks that way too, by lack of blood remains. Hope the owner was lucky to do a full insurance claim for this.

cya
A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks