Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 07:08   #46
BHPian

Re: A sweet experience / How a smile made my morning ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post

I for one, try to stop and allow ppl to cross roads - whenever possible.

Many times, i have a face turning towards me to wave away saying thank you with a smile. Enough to make me feel proud of myself really.
maybe this is what can be termed as - Zoor ka jhatka, dheere se.!!!

Cheers & happy driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
You are good and great to know you get appreciated. 99% of the time I stop to allow some one to cross the road, I get waved off by them to proceed with a look as if I did a mistake!

never understood why this happens!
I do the same as often as I can i.e. stop for pedestrians to cross the road.
Only once, I was shouted at by a man who did not understand my intentions. I guess he was a little scared of crossing the road in front of my car
He screamed at me in bengali asking me if I was drunk and why don't I just drive on and leave him in peace to cross the road.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Everywhere and in every jam people are busy texting / bbming / talking on their mobile phones :(

We are slowly but surely being alienated by mobile phones.
Tell me about it man! At traffic lights i am mostly surrounded by people on two wheels screaming away into their cellphones that they have stuck between the helmet and their ear.

But once in a while i do come across a lively soul. Other day a passenger in an auto started chatting with me at a red light. Nothing much, just a timepass talk,

Today morning, two students on a bike started dancing to the punjabi song being played in my car

But yeah, while the virtual connection grows stronger, the real one is slowly fading.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Somedays back I had been to gateway of India to click pictures of the pigeons there. I also had got along my tripod just in case. As I was entering the place the cop asked me what I had in my black tripod pouch. I immediately opened the pouch, got one leg of the tripod out and told him to hands up . The look on his face was unreal and then the very next second I showed him the tripod and both of us laughed for a long time.

That very same day I had an DSLR dangling over my neck as I was clicking pictures. I went upto the photographer dude there who clicks pictures of the tourists next to the Gateway Of India. I went and told him 'aapka photo kheech ke du ? What a smile that brought to his face. I still remember.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:07   #49
BHPian

This happened 2 or 3 days back when I was driving back home from Hinjewadi (Pune IT Park).

After crossing the wakad flyover, I always take the first left turn which is a round about to come and join back on the highway to go towards Pune city. On the extreme 90 degree left turn on this path there were wild bushes growing and flowing out on the road completely blocking the view.

I saw a biker stop, pull out his helmet, park the bike on the road side, request me to stop too. Luckily there were no vehicles behind me and I stopped and was looking at why he wanted me to and then he disappeared beyond that bush.

Suddenly I hear loud groan of the JCB engine and the JCB plowed down the entire bush that was blocking the road view. This biker guy then raised a thumbs up to the JCB driver and the JCB driver drove away in a jiffy. The biker then turns to me and I raised my both thumbs-up flaunting a very big smile. The biker acknowledges and walks away towards the bike all in a wide grin and cheering a thumbs-up !

I drove away with clear view of the road and even bigger smile .

I will cherish this for a long time to come - and I am thankful to both the good samaritans - the biker and the JCB guy !

EDIT: @N_C - Thank you so much. Nice thread !

Last edited by the-rare-one : 28th July 2011 at 17:27. Reason: Thanks to NC
Old 28th July 2011, 17:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Definitely good to read these stories. At any given instance, I always try to ignore whts happening outside and dont let it get to me. I drive with my windows up to eliminate all the sound of the loud horns and so on, listen to the radio or ipod, let people cross if required, be helpful where needed and so on.

On one instance, at an instersection between lanes, I stopped to let a car turn into my lane (basically turning into the same direction I am going). There was already a lot of traffic on that lane, as it leads to a main road and there is a signal at the end of this lane. So, I wanted to be kind and all to this guy who was kind of pleading to be let through and let him go through, took his thanks with great warmth and then saw that the guy behind him also stuck close to his bumper and drove ahead, and this went on for alomost 8-10 cars (most were cabbies, so you know how they drive without the least concern of scratches and those who were not, were probably cabbies earlier) and I had to wait patiently.

Moral of the story.

Try to be on the giving side of thanks, rather than taking, as much as possible ;-) (jus kidding eh)

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 28th July 2011 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks