Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 09:01   #1
BHPian

"Unlock Bangalore"

The following is from today's Times of India Bangalore edition.

Quote:
Let us be the solution

We need out-of-the-box ideas to fix Bangalore’s connectivity problems

Sujit John | TNN

Our Lead India campaign had a telling line: You are not stuck in a traffic jam; you are the traffic jam. And as we move into our Unlock Bangalore campaign, this powerful line becomes even more relevant.
It’s a stirring call to action. Most of us use our personal vehicles to commute. Over the years, as Bangalore’s business boomed, so has its personal vehicle numbers. In 1982, cars and two-wheelers accounted for less than 16% of vehicles. In 2006, it was over 40%, and is likely to go up further.
In other words, we are just as responsible for traffic jams as anybody else. Therefore, we have an equal responsibility to do something about it. Not as armchair critics, but as active participants in finding solutions to the gargantuan problem the city has on its hands.
At one level, some solutions are self-evident. We need more fixed infrastructure — roads, flyovers, underpasses, elevated tolled expressways. We need the Metro Rail. We need a comfortable and dependable bus service. Pedestrians have been getting a particularly raw deal, so we need good pedestrian infrastructure.
Over the next three weeks, these issues will be taken up again, as we have done many times in the past. But this time, we’d like you to flood us with your suggestions, and together with TOI, put unrelenting pressure on corporators, bureaucrats and politicians, whose responsibility it is to implement the suggestions.
We’d like you to think out of the box. If Transferable Development Rights (TDR) don’t work, is there some other way we can go about widening our roads? Can we think of elevated tolled roads within the city? If so, how much are we willing to pay for those roads? If we can’t have toll roads, are there alternative ways to finance them? Resource constraints are only in the minds of bureaucrats and politicians. Surely, there are innovative ways in which the required resources can be raised for projects that must urgently be finished. We have some of the best engineers in the world. So, can we think of a much-faster roll-out of the Metro network?
But we must realize that since we are part of the problem, we need to make changes in the way we use and behave on the road. Can we think of leaving behind our cars — which occupy an unreasonable amount of space on the road for what is often a single passenger — and get into a bus for at least some of our commutes? Voluntary car pooling efforts haven’t met with much success. So, can we think of mandating car pooling?
Our traffic violation fines are so abysmally low that many do not care a hoot about being fined. And are, therefore, equally unconcerned about violating rules. Can we think of sharply increasing the fines, to the punishing levels worldwide?
Can we think of becoming a truly global city? Our lamentable road and transport infrastructure has reached such a deplorable level that it’s beginning to hit the city’s business growth. We need to change that. Collectively.
I feel that a large e-community like us can make some impact on this. Is there any way our Admins / Mods can plan something to help ToI and Bangalore? I bet there are quite a few of us here bursting with ideas.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

While i am in for the concept of mandating car pooling, first things first to reduce jams.

* Start by removing bus stops right before or after a junction.
* Displace autos from blocking the roads by parking and waiting anywhere and everywhere as they please, and cops turning a blind eye to them, but who would rather squeeze money out of a 2 wheeler rider.
* Lorries should not be allowed into city limits and ring roads until after 10PM.
* Cops should not resort to switching off traffic lights, and resort to manual control. Will lead to traffic buildup, and is also non-effective. Cops are definitely not smarter than the automated traffic signals.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While i am in for the concept of mandating car pooling, first things first to reduce jams.

* Displace autos from blocking the roads by parking and waiting anywhere and everywhere as they please, and cops turning a blind eye to them, but who would rather squeeze money out of a 2 wheeler rider.
* Lorries should not be allowed into city limits and ring roads until after 10PM.
* Cops should not resort to switching off traffic lights, and resort to manual control. Will lead to traffic buildup, and is also non-effective. Cops are definitely not smarter than the automated traffic signals.
Adding to that - Just enforce lane displine without exceptions and harsh penalties for non-compliance.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 18th March 2008, 10:34   #4
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most important step which very very urgently needed to done.

one more thing team-bhpians can do is check for alternate routes and reduce the load on main roads. i use arterial roads for my daily travel of total 35Km from home office. it takes approximately 35-40 min always for the past three days.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Remember they have do this sometimes to keep one side clear for a Very Irritating Person. Sometimes it makes more sense than relying on traffic lights (When traffic pattern is very dynamic). Not all of them might be smart enough (thats why they don't sit in AC offices and write comments like these)

I feel sorry for the poor cops who stand in intersections in midst of pollution, hot weather etc.,
Old 18th March 2008, 12:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

usually during peak hours the traffic lights are switched to manual because a) people dont stick to lanes - so they get blocked.
and b) the 15 or 45 seconds that the light is green is not sufficient to reduce the pileup.
what i fail to see is that it is better to have shorter greens but more frequent ones- rather than trying to buildup one side and then let the whole thing go.

What is required is automated lights, which sense the traffic and switch dynamically.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I accept all points except the last one. Because, the traffic lights are pre-defined for the duration of red, green etc. it does not know if there are vehicles in one direction or not. it just keep rotating the signals even though there is no traffic in one side.
So, unless we get a "smarter" automatic or dynamic traffic light, i think cops do a better job.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

I wished the smacked and whacked all traffic offenders for starters.

Rest of the list is as ben's .
Old 18th March 2008, 12:57   #9
BHPian

Car Pooling another great option to help b'lore unlocked []
Old 18th March 2008, 17:46   #10
BHPian

First have some patience while driving.. If you are in a hurry U better leave early

When it comes to Road,

Dont cut the dividers at every small road joining the main Road..

There are lot of alternate roads which can take you to your destination.. but of course they are Narrow, make them one ways and allow traffic to use them.

Take up all the Road related projects initiated as a priority.

Use something like Google Maps to find alternate routes and use them .

Avoid Peak hours as much as possible.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

The situation can be improved by:

1. Efficient Public Transport System:
Even though I would like to use buses I cannot read the destination boards in Kannada.
Few buses and they only cover the standard route. Results in taking many buses to reach the destination.
Stick to the schedule.

2. Strict Law Enforcement
Law should not be taken as a means for taking bribe.
Amendments to make the process simple and strict enforcement.

3. Improving Infrastructure
Where are all the tax collected used? Improve the infrastructure.

What we can do at personal level is to have patience and follow the rules.

I have tried being the nice guy in busy junctions and wait for others to go. What I have noticed is that the trafffic from other side would not stop unless I barge in. At the same time I have to live with honking from behind.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:14   #12
BHPian

I think the government needs to widen the roads instead of making those stupid magic box (the new one at Cauvery theater). The govt needs to grow up and start doing something which will add value and we need to have educated and young politicians.

In stretches where you have ONLY govt or to a large extent govt owned buildings or offices (You have a lot of them right from windsor manor to Cauvery Theater on the left side, Palace grounds on the right side, Mekhri circle to Baptist hospital you have airforce campus, UAS campus on the left) certain area (around 20 feet should be acquired to broaden the roads. Now come on govt cannot tell us that they need to compensate themselves for the buildings. This can be done near the stretch of dairy circle ad many parts of Jaynagar and JP nagar also.

Autorickshaws should be limited in number (if i am given the power i would ban them) and increase the count of BMTC volvo buses to replace the old BMTC buses. Introduce one way systems as much as possible.

I would say instead of having lane systems for buses weneed to start having lane system for 2 wheelers (they are the ones who cause confusion during traffic jams).
Old 18th March 2008, 20:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Lane discipline! Moving in-out, sticking to them and the sense of moving to left if moving slow and while not overtaking.
Yes no plugging gaps while stuck, just be patient things will clear in hmmm 5 secs!
Ban phone usage while driving, fine in 1000's
Move those Bus stops few mts ahead from a traffic Jn.
Auto's and cabies, its high time they get some restraining!
Most important, P A T I E N C E, this city simply lack it.

Day in day out i see this. And often look like a fool trying to follow this :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2008 at 20:05.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

It has start with Police:
1. Traffic police must mark lanes on all roads (these provide as 'guide' lines for drivers)
2. Educate people about these lanes.

For riders/drivers:
1. Understand & grasp what traffic police teach them
2. Learn to "Yield" - let others use first.

For RTO/Driving schools:
1. Instill traffic sense, along with capabilities to handle the vehicle.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:13   #15
BHPian

Blow the tyres off the bikes and scooters who damn cares about the pedestrians walking over the footpath, you cannot fine them this is the best way. this is the horrible sight i see every other day in our city.

I think one more thing is its high time our BBMP does its home work before undertaking its projects ( Underpasses ) recent projects have really troubled everybody a lot and still doing the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks