Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 17:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Pay for your parking

I am a firm believer of paying for taking up real estate space. An average car takes up say 6 x 12 sq ft of area. So say you are parking in MG road and the value of 100 sq ft of rental space there is 3,00,000/- per month (30 x 24 hours) then it is just right that an equated rate be worked out on an hourly basis for use of the expensive road space that a car parked denies to everyone else. This would:-
1. encourage car pool
2. make it more expensive in the CBD
3. quick turn around in commercially active areas
4. Allow economical parking on public roads in domestic areas (dont we all pay for our car parking areas in our flats?)
5. use the money so generated to improve and HASTEN the pace of metro and other public transport

The city of london, which is similar to bangy as far as road widh is concerned, has such a process in place and has worked well over the years.

We need to seriously think about paying for use of publid space for our private needs. I know it would hurt but there no free lunch
Old 8th April 2009, 17:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

@goandude: Dont we already pay through our nose for just about everything?! Or am i the only one being fleeced?
Old 8th April 2009, 18:14   #33
BHPian

Road widening is happening in Race course road, Old madras road (from KR puram till chitoor I guess) and quite a few of the arterial roads in Bangalore, most of it should be done before monsoon I guess. Once the metro is reasonably done say in three years time, traffic should be a lot more managable. Till then grin and bear.

As for lane switching, we need road signs advising people in kannada/english mentioning specific fines for autos and two wheelers for unacceptable road usage behaviour like parking right before or after a turn/bus stop,driving on footpaths where they exist and instead of speed guns we need cameras that capture those quirky behaviour like cutting across a median to save a kilometer to take a Uturn and post the photos/videos on websites and on TV news channels(far better usage of their time rather than the talk shows, hmm may be use the footages tin the talk shows to discuss how to handle this behaviour. Posting such photos on the lamp post adverts on places like IRR with a message hopefully you or not one of these morons could be yield results. some consideration could be shown by not showing faces as we don't need to stigmatise the person rather change the collective behaviour.

Last edited by marlinspike : 8th April 2009 at 18:17. Reason: fixing typo
Old 8th April 2009, 18:25   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Now I understand, why some people are allergic to such stickers
Photographs from the next offense spotted, I promise.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

No Free Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@goandude: Dont we already pay through our nose for just about everything?! Or am i the only one being fleeced?
Bro, we have to pay for everything one uses. The sooner we get used to it the better. But getting fleeced is another issue, which i didn't imply in my post.
For fellow Bangaloreans. Petrol costs 40.xx here in Shillong
Old 9th April 2009, 15:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Photographs from the next offense spotted, I promise.
After the Safari owners, scorpio owners pics thread, now theres going to be a parade & pics of all make & models in SAME thread

Great.
Old 9th April 2009, 15:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey mjothi, shocked at your avatar !! When did you start preserving snakes as part of "Unlocking Bangalore" ? Do they belong to the Bangalore City Traffic Police ?
Old 9th April 2009, 15:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hey mjothi, shocked at your avatar !! When did you start preserving snakes as part of "Unlocking Bangalore" ? Do they belong to the Bangalore City Traffic Police ?
yes, no body listens when you try to manage traffic. So, this kinda strategy. Hows it?

Actually, this was a Phyton from Penang Hill, Malaysia.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, no body listens when you try to manage traffic. So, this kinda strategy. Hows it?
Don't scare everybody hanging with that drugged/sleepy python around your neck. Just change your avataar.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Don't scare everybody hanging with that drugged/sleepy python around your neck.
You are free to test if its drugged or sleeping next time when you visit the Penang hill
Old 9th April 2009, 20:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are free to test if its drugged or sleeping next time when you visit the Penang hill
Sure, I will test this as well as the tiger one (your avatar in gmail).
Old 9th April 2009, 21:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this strategy will do wonders. Instead of installing speed cameras, keep some very poisnous 'flying' snakes at the signals, I bet, not a single biker will even think of jumping any signal. For cars, we have to think about a 'jumping' tiger or something of that sort.

So you visited Malaysia and made a quick meeting of 'snakes' and 'tigers' ? Hope you didnt invite them for the next 4X4 trip !!
Old 9th April 2009, 22:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So you visited Malaysia and made a quick meeting of 'snakes' and 'tigers' ? Hope you didnt invite them for the next 4X4 trip !!
If this does happen, we can see that there will be nobody doing the 4x4. All of them will be behind mjothi asking him to control the snakes and tigers.

Last edited by snaronikar : 9th April 2009 at 22:50.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:22   #44
BHPian

First, I feel we need to get our RTOs right. We should follow the North American style while giving license. Very tough driving written test on rules followed by 30 minutes of on the road test with parallel parking, lane changes, reverse the vehicle on a down hill. Make it tough for people to clear it first time, so that each one of us will become more responsible drivers to follow the lane system. I got my license just based on a 100 Mtr drive on vacant society lane in Jayanagr. No reverse gear test, no H , no S and no 8 either. Forget parallel parking. Bangalore is locked not just because of the poor infrastructure, also because of the irresponsible driving. Including me, driving on the foot path is a common scene here. Crazy driving by cabs and water tankers (tractor driven) are adding to the pain.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varriers View Post
First, I feel we need to get our RTOs right. We should follow the North American style while giving license. Very tough driving written test on rules followed by 30 minutes of on the road test with parallel parking, lane changes, reverse the vehicle on a down hill. Make it tough for people to clear it first time, so that each one of us will become more responsible drivers to follow the lane system. I got my license just based on a 100 Mtr drive on vacant society lane in Jayanagr. No reverse gear test, no H , no S and no 8 either.

Looks like Driving License tests are getting tougher in Bangalore. Yesterday my friend failed the written test.
The funny this is he bought a Zen from True Value on Sunday and he is yet to get a Learners License; so i guess i have a spare car for a month

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks