Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 19:27   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Gandhiji said that a nation is measured by the compassion it shows for its animals.
http://www.karmayog.com/dogs/gandhijiletter.htm - an interesting perspective btw (and one I agree wholly with, but that's separate).

Amit - you are an incredibly brave man. 99% of people would've reacted when the dog took three fingers inside his mouth, esp not a stray (a house dog I can fully understand, BTDT).

Here's my Sunday morning example:
On sunday, at yelagiri - mangalam village, while returning and about to enter our car (quietly and not acknowledging or threatening any dog), one dog almost bit my two year old son. About two out of six stray dogs were generally barking at us in a territorial fashion when this other one just makes a run for my son sans warning. Luckily, I saw it coming, and instinctively swung the dSLR just in time to stop the dog in its tracks. Thankfully it beat a hasty retreat right there, and no other dogs joined in. Else, you all would have found another insensitive human being to bemoan and hate upon, on this thread.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 16:41   #272
BHPian

Sorry to revive an old thread, but had to post since I'm desperate for a solution.

Recently I have seen many stray dogs in Hennur Main Road, Bangalore. Even in our area, there are 6-8 dogs roaming together at night, and they bark ferociously at whoever passes by. Sometimes these dogs stay right in front of my house gate and bark at me when I try to enter the house at night.

Any solution to this? I'm against cruelty toward dogs, but is there anything I could do to end this dog menace?
Old 1st July 2014, 16:51   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Any solution to this? I'm against cruelty toward dogs, but is there anything I could do to end this dog menace?
This is a problem everywhere in Bangalore, last year when I was looking out for a rented apartment in HSR, I made sure that I've indoor parking.

Street dogs are untrained and carry rabies infection. The ones which sleep the entire time near those chicken/mutton shops are most dangerous.

How about feeding them some food laced with sedatives, once they doze off, put them all in a truck and drop them at hesaraghatta grasslands
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 17:02   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
and drop them at hesaraghatta grasslands
And when you do that, they won't mind posing with your ride whenever you visit here for a Photoshoot on weekend
The Street dog menace-20140405_135048.jpg
On a serious note, these strays have become menace in almost all areas of Bangalore and only last weekend there was a news article on how a Nanny saved a little one from ferocious dogs trying to maul that infant.

I also witness a lot of instances when these strays attack you as you approach them in your vehicle (Car or Bike doesn't matter) and the driver/rider tends to speed up or make a quick movement of that steering to shoo away the pack of strays.

Not sure but something to do with moving objects entering a Dog's territory? And usually these they chase mostly at night when they are relaxing in the middle of the road or on that pavement.

What I have been doing over the past years is to slow down almost to dead stop, slot into 1st and make a very gradual progress through and gain momentum than indulge in wheelspin or jam my brakes. Their reaction to this has been positive and they start walking (from running) and finally turn away and walk back.

We have got a lot of strays that sit right in front of our gate in Vidyaranyapura and grown up over the years. My parents feed these dogs and they have been punctual on arriving near home to grab their share of meal. Like someone said, they cause no harm without provocation.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st July 2014 at 17:15.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:52   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but had to post since I'm desperate for a solution.

Recently I have seen many stray dogs in Hennur Main Road, Bangalore. Even in our area, there are 6-8 dogs roaming together at night, and they bark ferociously at whoever passes by. Sometimes these dogs stay right in front of my house gate and bark at me when I try to enter the house at night.

Feed them all. Feed them well. Then, they know you, will recognize you, and will form a bond. You will also get over your fear.

Then, after a few weeks of feeding them and getting to know them, contact CUPA or Voice of Stray Dogs (google for numbers), and tell them that you would like them to come down and do a free sterilization and vaccination program. Since the dogs will know you by then, it will be far easier. DO NOT CALL THE BBMP PEOPLE. They are terrible and do such a bad job, the dogs are more traumatized, and left to die.

Try it. They will never attack the hands that feed them. Remember, they have seen much much worse growing up on the streets than you ever have, so it is normal that they react ferociously to humans (they do remember past incidents you know).
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:15   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Feed them all. Feed them well. Then, they know you, will recognize you, and will form a bond. You will also get over your fear.
No offence, but I feel that the dogs stay around the house that feeds them daily. I've seen this happen. Couple of stray dogs always stay in front of certain house in our area, and bark and anyone who walk/ride near to that place. This is the sole reason why I don't feed stray dogs.
Old 1st July 2014, 19:27   #277
Senior - BHPian

These stray dogs are like local rowdy groups. They have territories, and unless your in their good books or in other words , a dog lover, you will always be troubled by their presence.

I have couple of friends who are residents on the street next to my apartment. I feed them when ever possible and they are very loving creatures. They chase cars and bikes that are only noisy or fast, as that is highly irritating to them. They once started barking when they heard my car since I revv'd up the street and as soon as they saw me in the car, in a second their tails were is full wiper speed .They have a fascination/irritation to spinning wheels and that is what irks them and this happens in the night or streets which have less traffic. The idea here is to slow down and they will just walk away. Its highly unlikely that they will attack. There are few instances were they do and like few said, it can be due to reasons.
In case the dog does not even reciprocate your kindness or is in attack mode with everyone, then there is something wrong and you need to call CUPA or a Stray dog welfare org.
Most of the times, these guys just need to be fed and they will be friends forever.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:37   #278
Team-BHP Support

The biggest problem I face from these street menace is they eye my pet. Most of the dogs tend to roam around my house, trying to impress my female pet dog.

So, the entire barking etc session is done right outside. No no she snubs them & doesn't give them any leverage (in fact, acts like a princess) But what to do, dogs will be dogs.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:49   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Then, after a few weeks of feeding them and getting to know them, contact CUPA or Voice of Stray Dogs (google for numbers), and tell them that you would like them to come down and do a free sterilization and vaccination program. Since the dogs will know you by then, it will be far easier. DO NOT CALL THE BBMP PEOPLE. They are terrible and do such a bad job, the dogs are more traumatized, and left to die.

Try it. They will never attack the hands that feed them. Remember, they have seen much much worse growing up on the streets than you ever have, so it is normal that they react ferociously to humans (they do remember past incidents you know).
Why not adopt the dog(s) right away? Isn't that more humane?

Your approach does not guarantee that the strays may not react violently to other human beings who live on the same street, who may have no fault other than to pass through a territory the dog considers it own, helped in no less measure by your supporting and feeding that dog.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:57   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not adopt the dog(s) right away? Isn't that more humane?

Your approach does not guarantee that the strays may not react violently to other human beings who live on the same street, who may have no fault other than to pass through a territory the dog considers it own, helped in no less measure by your supporting and feeding that dog.
It's not my approach. It's just suugestively a more human way to deal with dogs on the street. Unfortunately I don't have the capability to adopt all or any of them. We all just have to try and do what we can. I am sorry I wasn't helpful.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:28   #281
BHPian

Stray dogs are a problem everywhere, however, with my personal experience i can say that running after 2 and 4 wheelers is something that comes naturally to them, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to bite! I've been chased by several dogs on 2 and 4 wheelers, but never ever have been bitten (maybe i'm lucky!)
The idea is to slow down whenever you have a stray chasing you, specially when on a 2 wheeler. This will make them lose interest as they don't have anything to chase!! Their sole intent is to chase vehicles, it's like an excercise routine for them!

About dogs getting in between when you're riding / driving, I'm not sure what to do when on a bike as i've never encountered such an experience, however, when driving, if in case you notice a stray in your path, the best thing to do is try to slow down GRADUALLY and hit the dog if need be. NEVER slam on the brakes as it may make you lose control or worse - someone might rear end you! Slowing down gradually works in most cases as the dog gets some time to move out of your way - and they're pretty fast at doing so!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:30   #282
BHPian

Let me ask a very controversial question here that crossed my mind, here it is,

If lakhs of harmless/less harmful animals are killed for the satisfaction of human tongue everyday, is it really wrong to consider killing some thousands of animals once in a year or so that are dangerous to us, especially kids and may result in the spreading of dangerous diseases like rabies?

Let me mention that I am against animal violence. I do not eat meat for the same reason and avoid using leather in most cases except motorcycle safety gear. So I'm not suggesting any violence against any animal.

Thanks in advance.

PS No offence intended to anyone's feelings or beliefs.

Last edited by theredliner : 1st July 2014 at 22:35.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 23:14   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

If lakhs of harmless/less harmful animals are killed for the satisfaction of human tongue everyday, is it really wrong to consider killing some thousands of animals once in a year or so that are dangerous to us, especially kids and may result in the spreading of dangerous diseases like rabies?

Let me mention that I am against animal violence. I do not eat meat for the same reason and avoid using leather in most cases except motorcycle safety gear. So I'm not suggesting any violence against any animal.

Thanks in advance.

PS No offence intended to anyone's feelings or beliefs.
It is actually not required to kill stray dogs to curb their menace. Proper sterlization + treatment of infected dogs does the job very well - and has been proven in many areas. The problem lies with 1. The authorities not been concerned about this issue and 2. Budgetary constraints - sterlization and treatment of animals doesnt come cheap!
I've seen a lot of people crib about stray dog menace in their areas, but none of them talking about the simplest solution -- get together, pool some money and contact any NGO involved in strays and they'll do whatever they can with the funds made available to them and help curb this menace!!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:46   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

Some notorious dhabhas were exposed by the media sometime back when implemented your logic partially and unfortunately the dogs ended up in dishes Just that they had a different intention.

On a serious note, its difficult to blame anyone in this scenario of dog menace. IMO everyone is equally responsible for this menace. Firstly the official authorities whose responsiblity is to solve this problem in a humane manner, either by hygenic sterlisation or even relocation to uninhabited places. This doesnt happen. The dogs are picked up and sterlised in a careless manner. This traumatises the dog and can make packs of dogs turn more violent.

Then, as many animal activists say, we have encroached upon their habitats. Practically this statement can be ridiculous bringing in the terms urbanisation and modernisation, but yet in one corner this thought must be taken into consideration. Next, we have street racers who revv bikes to glory on our street in the night which enrages the dogs, or rather terrifies them inviting a chase. Its a huge risk if one is on a bike and a pack of dogs come chasing.

Its not that dogs are friendly to me. I have been chased by packs of street dogs a few times, which I will admit is because of my own mistake. Once, I was on my dio and I entered a road that descended down. Initially the engine was idling as I turned towards that road slowly. As the scoot picked up speed with the engine still in idle, I twisted the throttle which led to the engine revving up suddenly in order to match the vehicle speed. The sound made the dogs start barking and chasing me. Immediately I braked and stopped. They gave a couple of barks and left the scene.

Another time in the same road I was going up in the car, and stopped to let a person cross the road. While moving again I left the clutch a little early which caused the wheels to spin, and again lead the dogs to start barking like anything. Basically these animals get scared and try to confront us.

Even I feed the street dogs for my own safety. If I relied upon the authorities to solve this problem, by the time they took action I would have been mauled by the dogs. Since I was frequently chased by dogs from when I was a kid, I developed the habit of feeding them. If any neighbour has a problem with it, I have told that they are free to do anything to curb the dog menace. Hence the dogs in my road either mind their business or welcome me into the road with joy For people suffering from this menace, as others told, at least feed leftovers instead of throwing it. The dogs will NEVER bark or chase you again. Given the pathetic state of affairs in the govt, its best to keep ourselves safe instead of waiting for someone to come to the rescue.

Just my thoughts. The whole intention being to keep ourselves safe.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:52   #285
BHPian

When a dog chases a moving object because it perceives some threat and the object actually goes away or car drives off , it reinforces the dogs belief that its barking is what chased or drove the object away. So it tries it again and again. If you want it to stop then you need to stop and infact go towards the dog.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks