Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 23:48   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But is it really that inhumane? You are not killing them. Worst is to see people kicking them, running them over accidentally otherwise and resulting in most dogs limping or hopping on 3 legs etc. Here you are introducing another hunter other than human. I guess the number of strays killed everyday on our roads will be far more than the numbers picked up by Tigers and Leopards.
There is the question of intent. Nobody intentionally runs them over. It is an accident. If you send them to the jungle, then it is intentional.

Quote:
Even now the govt. must have introduced some other species in that park for the same purpose right? It wasn't like Deer or Buffalo was in need of any protection. But they were put there to serve only 1 purpose.
Existing species in the jungle have a fighting chance since they know how live in Jungle, have developed instinct to survive in the wild. The stray dogs will starve to death, if not killed right away by the leopards. Stray dogs are carnivores that are not capable of hunting.
Old 27th February 2015, 23:49   #332
BHPian

Well, ask any stray dog in Pashan/Aundh area in Pune around 3 AM and they will talk about a biker they tried to bite. They would say he stops and tries to adjust his jacket. But what he actually does is pull out an imaginary rock which he then throws at them with the utmost faith in the apparently huge rock.

If only dogs could talk, they would swear by the terror I brought them during my last job.
Old 28th February 2015, 00:08   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Human evolution is by natural selection, but humans created dogs by design (controlled breeding).

We humans are not programmed/selected to like dogs, because it is not a criteria for our survival. On the other hand, dogs were selectively bred to like humans. Dogs that hated humans didn't get to breed at all.
Exactly !

And that is what I intended to say [ I don't know if I skewed away]

Quote:
Humans designed various kinds of dogs to suit different purposes. The ones that didn't suit any purpose were eliminated or not allowed to breed. This may sound like eugenics, because it is. All domestic animals (cow, sheep, cat, dogs) are result of thousands of years of elective breeding.
And not just the animals, even the crops , fruits and vegetables like wheat, barley, potatoes, mangoes... all have their wild ancestors which were genetically selected [ and thus programmed] by humans. Sorry for going OT

Quote:
When it comes to stray dogs, we have changed the rules. Now the law doesn't allow humans to eliminate dogs that are useless for human purpose. Even the dogs that attack humans are allowed to live and breed. This finally allows for natural selection within stray dogs. Only aggressive, agile (thus avoid being runover) stray dogs will get to breed in the competitive street environment. Within 3-4 generations of stray dogs, we will see more aggressive and agile dogs on the street.

This is based on my understanding of natural selection. Would love to hear other opinions.
And as per the standard [genetic] ops, that should be inevitable.

Quote:
But is it really that inhumane? You are not killing them. Worst is to see people kicking them, running them over accidentally otherwise and resulting in most dogs limping or hopping on 3 legs etc. Here you are introducing another hunter other than human. I guess the number of strays killed everyday on our roads will be far more than the numbers picked up by Tigers and Leopards. Even now the govt. must have introduced some other species in that park for the same purpose right? It wasn't like Deer or Buffalo was in need of any protection. But they were put there to serve only 1 purpose.
The problem with this solution is that we or for that matter, our coming generations wouldn't last long to see any change in those strays because for the strays to adopt in the situations of wild and transform themselves would take hundreds, if not thousands of years.

A better [ humane and responsible] way is to sterilize these creatures periodically and let them live with us .

Let us learn to co-exist peacefully, after all, we are coexisting with far worse and wretched creatures like terrorists and psychopaths . [ mods, please take this off if found offensive, it was just in a lighter note]
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 00:36   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Existing species in the jungle have a fighting chance since they know how live in Jungle, have developed instinct to survive in the wild. The stray dogs will starve to death, if not killed right away by the leopards. Stray dogs are carnivores that are not capable of hunting.
Continuing just for the sake of discussion and no other intention. I feel you are underestimating the adaptability instinct of these dogs. I have myself witnessed a stray female dog in my apartment complex in Delhi hunting pigeons. And I was amazed to see her skills. It wasn't once, not twice but multiple times as if she developed a taste for there meat. She would charge at a group of pigeons sitting in the common apartment garden or would sometimes jump to quite some heights to catch a not so sharp pigeon sitting on the fence or a low lying tree branch. Once she also caught a baby squirrel.

Then I have also witnessed all the dogs in my campus here in Vadodara feed on live insects and frogs which are in abundance here. The campus is literally over run by these large insects and frogs, most in the rainy season but otherwise also can be seen in other months but in lesser numbers. The same dogs bloody refuse to eat bread.

All I am trying to say is that there is a good possibility that these dogs will adapt and start killing other smaller species etc in the jungle. And the speed with which they breed will make sure that they would never go out of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
A better [ humane and responsible] way is to sterilize these creatures periodically and let them live with us .

Let us learn to co-exist peacefully.
At some level, I have never understood this plan of action. If we are able to successfully sterilize them then one day we will extinct them right? Or the better word is eradicate them. Just like diseases example small pox. Vaccinate every person and stop the transmission and voila, you have eradicated the problem. If all dogs get sterilized then there would be no more of them right? How is that co-existing peacefully?

Or are you suggesting we monitor there population and keep them at a fixed number? I guess the word periodical means that only in your post. But that will only bring there numbers down. Some human would still be chased by a dog somewhere in the middle of the night, No?

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th February 2015 at 00:38.
Old 28th February 2015, 12:47   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Continuing just for the sake of discussion and no other intention. I feel you are underestimating the adaptability instinct of these dogs.
I was talking about evolutionary adaptation over 100s of generations. Adaptations within a lifetime is a matter of learning new tricks. That won't give them an edge over other wild animals which have evolutionary advantage of having survived in the wild.

Quote:
I have myself witnessed a stray female dog in my apartment complex in Delhi hunting pigeons. And I was amazed to see her skills. It wasn't once, not twice but multiple times as if she developed a taste for there meat. She would charge at a group of pigeons sitting in the common apartment garden or would sometimes jump to quite some heights to catch a not so sharp pigeon sitting on the fence or a low lying tree branch. Once she also caught a baby squirrel.
This is not something that dog can rely on for 3 meals a day. Also, keep in mind that dogs have no predators among human habitat.

Quote:
All I am trying to say is that there is a good possibility that these dogs will adapt and start killing other smaller species etc in the jungle. And the speed with which they breed will make sure that they would never go out of existence.
We don't have to guess. There are already wild dogs in the jungle, and their predatory ability/technique is well known. They are incapable of hunting alone, unlike a leopard or tiger. They are too small for that. The wild dogs have developed pack hunting capability over thousands of years. Stray dogs simply don't have those ingrained skills. And they have too much competitions from other wild animals and they don't know how to defend against bigger predators. Stray dog is like a successful class bully, but he won't have the same success if dumped in the middle of a battlefield where everybody is a trained killer.

Quote:
At some level, I have never understood this plan of action. If we are able to successfully sterilize them then one day we will extinct them right? .... If all dogs get sterilized then there would be no more of them right? How is that co-existing peacefully?
Nobody wants dogs to go extinct, that is not the plan. Sterilization is about controlling the population of stray dogs, that is stop them from procreating and making more stray dogs. It also ends the genetic line of dogs unfriendly to humans. Afterall, that is how dogs were created, by not breeding dogs with undesirable traits.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th February 2015 at 12:49.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 18:05   #336
BHPian

Do we have any solution to save our car from the dog menace. Not sure why, but seems they have taken liking to my car which is parked in the ground floor of our gated apartment. If I put on a cover, they are ripping it apart and without cover, scratch marks, paw marks all over the body.

The Street dog menace-img_20180803_094132.jpg

The Street dog menace-img_20180803_094237.jpg

The Street dog menace-img_20180803_094139.jpg

The Street dog menace-img_20180803_094202.jpg

Do we have any solution to get rid of this issue
Old 16th August 2018, 18:59   #337
BHPian

The Street dog menace

It is a gated society... best option is to chase these mongrels away and instruct the security guards to not let them get in again.
mathuranuj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 19:06   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
It is a gated society... best option is to chase these mongrels away and instruct the security guards to not let them get in again.
Unfortunately it's a stand alone 4 storeyed building with entry gates which remain closed. But these dogs climb up the gate from adjoining walls in search of food and end up dancing over cars during the night.

Last edited by Suryendu87 : 16th August 2018 at 19:07. Reason: Replaced apartment with building for better understanding
Old 16th August 2018, 20:46   #339
BHPian

Here you go

https://www.amazon.in/Four-Paws-Indo.../dp/B007TW6WZ4

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 16th August 2018 at 20:49.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 20:46   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Unfortunately it's a stand alone 4 storeyed building with entry gates which remain closed. But these dogs climb up the gate from adjoining walls in search of food and end up dancing over cars during the night.
In that case, get spikes / barbed wires on top of your wall edges and gate. Or maybe get yourself a bigger dog who can frighten these stray dogs.
mathuranuj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 01:01   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Do we have any solution to save our car from the dog menace. Not sure why, but seems they have taken liking to my car which is parked in the ground floor of our gated apartment. If I put on a cover, they are ripping it apart and without cover, scratch marks, paw marks all over the body.

Do we have any solution to get rid of this issue
Is it only your car or all cars that are being scratched at?

If it's only your car - do you have a dog at home & take it out in the car (doggy smell)? or maybe regularly get take-out food in your car (food smell)? or is your car the last to come in (warmth)?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:35   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Is it only your car or all cars that are being scratched at?
Other cars are also getting scratched and covers torn. But being light colored, scratches are not much noticeable on them. Mine being a dark car, the scratches are visible and annoying to the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If it's only your car - do you have a dog at home & take it out in the car (doggy smell)? or maybe regularly get take-out food in your car (food smell)? or is your car the last to come in (warmth)?
Sadly, none of the above. No dog in household. My car mostly stays parked on weekdays. i take it out for long trips mostly and make it a point to have it fully washed upon return.
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:54   #343
BHPian

Today morning on the way to the office, i was cautiously approaching a junction riding at around speeds less than 20 Kmph. There were a bunch of people to my side and suddenly a street dog emerges from between them prancing next to me barking. I am mighty scared of street dogs and instinctively lifted my legs over the crash guard trying to evade the dog. That is when i felt a slight tug at my leg like it snagged on something. The people nearby drive away the dog.
Few hundred metres down the road, i check to see what happened and i see a small indent in the socks shaped like the incisor. I had my riding overpants, my pants and socks on and looks like the teeth did not penetrate any of these layers.

Upon reaching office i checked if there is any indication of the skin being penetrated or grazed and fortunately no telltale signs. I wiped off the area with sanitizer just to be safe.

Usually i see such dogs on open roads and accelerate away from them. This was one of my closest calls.
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:13   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Upon reaching office i checked if there is any indication of the skin being penetrated or grazed and fortunately no telltale signs. I wiped off the area with sanitizer just to be safe.

Usually i see such dogs on open roads and accelerate away from them. This was one of my closest calls.
If there is no tear on the skin, nothing to worry.

See if you can observe the dog that attacked you, for the next 5-6 days. If it was infected with Rabies and in terminal stage, it would not survive for more than a week
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:22   #345
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Today morning on the way to the office, i was cautiously approaching a junction riding at around speeds less than 20 Kmph. There were a bunch of people to my side and suddenly a street dog emerges from between them prancing next to me barking. I am mighty scared of street dogs and instinctively lifted my legs over the crash guard trying to evade the dog. That is when i felt a slight tug at my leg like it snagged on something. The people nearby drive away the dog.
Few hundred metres down the road, i check to see what happened and i see a small indent in the socks shaped like the incisor. I had my riding overpants, my pants and socks on and looks like the teeth did not penetrate any of these layers.

Be careful if its a rabid dog. If you have the slightest inclination that your skin was touched or penetrated, better to check out a local GP and get an injection.
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks